Snowmobile World banner

Removing Suspension

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  maineman77 
#1 ·
My son and I are going to remove the suspension from his 98 Z-440 to install new sliders and replace a missing grease fitting. Can someone give me some advice on how to remove the suspension? I have removed suspensions on older (80's) machines, but not on a newer machine like this. Will I need a special tool to release the springs? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
:) , first support rear of sled, get it up hi enought , about a foot or so under track to floor, loosen up rear axle bolts, loosen track, back off adjuster bolts enoght so axle is all the way forward, next put adjuster blocks in lowest settin,[rear springs], lower sled back down to floor,just so track is touchin, loosen and remove both front bolts, then same for rear bolts,suspension should now be free of tunnel, lift sled back up so track and suspension are past runnin boards on your sled, have someone hold back of track and pull the rear of the susp. out at an angle, gettin the wheels past the drive lugs as you pull it out, susp. should be out now, to put back in reverse the order that you took it out, you may have to release the rear springs in order to get the rear bolts back in. hope this helps you, and have fun..........

#4 ·
If all you are going to do is replace the slides and a grease fitting, I would leave the skid in. If you hang the rear of the sled and untension the back axle, you may be able to pull the slides right out a track window (after removing the screw up front, which you can also access thru a window).

#5 ·
Performance is correct, I have changed many, many slides by just pulling them out the back "window". Another method that really works is to get the slide sticking out the back window a little and then spray some type of Lubricant on the Rails. Then just spin the track backwards, it peels them right out. To get them out the window, you are going to need a large screw drive or a chisel. Use a Hammer and "Punch" the slide toward the rear. Once you get close enough to the Track, use another screw driver to line it up and keep banging till it sticks out enough that you can either grab it with a vise grips or use the method I said before. Should be an easy instalation!

#6 ·
Thanks for all the info. We do have to remove the skid to replace the fitting. We attempted to replace it last year while still on the machine. No luck. It appears as these fittings are pressed and welded in. We are planning on removing the arm and taking it to the dealer. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.