Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Terri and I are in the final stages of renting a house in the Gaylord area on US 27 across from a lake. We hope to get there on January 28th and stay 10 days. It is right on the snowmobile trail going south out of Gaylord to Fredric. This should also allow me an opportunity to attend the SW Charity ride at least one day that week but, we'll see.
We are so EXCITED!!!!

Richard

PS" They allow dogs which is why we needed a house.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
FWIW, that's Otsego Lk., and you ARE right across the street from a main trail. It's busy, but many times, it's groomed several times a day if conditions permit. If good weather, be prepared for a lot of sleds, and some great trails. Hope you have a good trip. -Al

·
Registered
465 Posts
Are you renting a place in Lakes of the North? My family has a lot up there, and me and my da ride with my dad's friend up there. We stay at my dad's friend's cottage on Red Wing drive.

-Frank

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you renting a place in Lakes of the North? My family has a lot up there, and me and my da ride with my dad's friend up there. We stay at my dad's friend's cottage on Red Wing drive.

-Frank[/b]
No, this place is right on US 27 South directly across from Ostego Lake. We were in that area last year and really enjoyed it. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Gaylord. We were there in the middle of the week with little sled activity. I'm hoping to see more sleds since we will be there over a weekend. I may grow to hate this but, I love to see sleds running around. This trail will take you all the way to Mackinaw (remember, my favorite place), over to Jordon, down to Fredric, and east to some other places. Should be great riding especially that time of the year.
Gaylord also has several snowmobile shops in town for emergency issues.
Right now the only thing I'm missing is a heated shield for my helmet and the electrical hook-up on the sled. I'm sure I can get that while there.
Richard

·
Registered
465 Posts
No, this place is right on US 27 South directly across from Ostego Lake. We were in that area last year and really enjoyed it. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Gaylord. We were there in the middle of the week with little sled activity. I'm hoping to see more sleds since we will be there over a weekend. I may grow to hate this but, I love to see sleds running around. This trail will take you all the way to Mackinaw (remember, my favorite place), over to Jordon, down to Fredric, and east to some other places. Should be great riding especially that time of the year.
Gaylord also has several snowmobile shops in town for emergency issues.
Right now the only thing I'm missing is a heated shield for my helmet and the electrical hook-up on the sled. I'm sure I can get that while there.
Richard[/b]
Yep, for sure. The best place to get a heated shield is at the sled shed, right before the big powersports store. You will most likely find a good deal on a heated visor at the sled shed, I also think they have the most affordable prices there too. :wink:

·
10,054 Posts
I would almost look into getting your parts before hand and have them installed before you get there,,,, this way your time there will be for riding and not wrenching,,,
I too have rode in that area, buddy of mine has a cabin in Fredrick and we love that area also,,,, but then again, if there is snow there, I love that area!!!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I have riden there forever and last year Kid Rocker took us places we had never been, out the power lines and 2 trackin' we had a ball :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Me and the wife are looking at going up towards Gaylord the second week of Feburuary. I know the weather is unpredictable but is this to late???

Another that I am glad you brought up Richard is dogs. The wife is wanting to bring our 2 dogs. They would stay in crates like they normally do while we are at work while we are out for the day riding. Is there any hotels/ lodges that you can reccomend that are reasonably priced but not a dump?

This will be our first trip up there so any info would be great!!!

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Feburuary is a good plan. Over the last couple of seasons, which have not been good, what snow we've had has been at it's best then. The big places in town are just that, in town. If you plan on trailering to a trail head and prefer a bigger place, they're all pretty nice. Motels with an address of Old 27 South are like the place Richard is talking about - directly across the street from one of the main trails.

Check this out, from the local visitors bureau (I think that what they call themselves nowadays)

http://www.michiweb.com/snow/gaylord/reports/snowmo.html

·
Tragically Hip-OSA
5,007 Posts
I have riden there forever and last year Kid Rocker took us places we had never been, out the power lines and 2 trackin' we had a ball :thumbsup:[/b]
Ask Dave where he got that info.... :wink:
There are some great off trail areas where there is little to no traffic around Gaylord. We found lots of powder last year when the trails were cooked. Would be happy to share some info with you.
If you need anything while you're there, check with Jim at Extreme Powersports, he'll take good care of you...

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Me and the wife are looking at going up towards Gaylord the second week of Feburuary. I know the weather is unpredictable but is this to late???

Another that I am glad you brought up Richard is dogs. The wife is wanting to bring our 2 dogs. They would stay in crates like they normally do while we are at work while we are out for the day riding. Is there any hotels/ lodges that you can reccomend that are reasonably priced but not a dump?

This will be our first trip up there so any info would be great!!![/b]
I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Gaylord last year. You can unload your sled there and hop right on the trails which will take you in all directions. You also can ride into downtown Gaylord, neat! I see the hotel does not take pets though, sorry.
There are however other accommodations in that area which all seem to have access to the trail directly from the hotel.
Richard

Attachments

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Thanks for the info michahicks and Richard!! Anyone ever stay at Timberly Motel? Whats it like? Good/Bad? I see they welcome pets so its a possibility.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts