Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:withstupid:
First off I am an unrepentant tinkerer. :doh:
My buddy broke his pull cord and the dealer that had just done service told him to take the housing off and bring in the part and he would try to get to it this week :cussing:
He called me to help him :p
I took it off and then kept going; Long story short I sprung the spring.
Is there a tool or a trick to put it back?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
0 Posts
mine broke in my 93 Classis 500 and i tried to repair it myself......man in my opinion take the entire housing to the dealer and pay for the recoil spring,(polaris spring $49 aftermarket(kimpex) $20) it should only take them 5 minutes to do so if you buy the spring from them they may install it for nothing. that was my case anyway. oh ya purchase a new pull cord as well, $5 canadian tire.

good luck

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
That happened to me with my boys 340 polaris. I wound it back up after a few hours and lots of swearing. The end result was spend time winding it up or buy a new one with the strap on it so you can just stick it in.....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks
SWRules
Joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
what i did to wind it back is first put the coil on a flat surface then put 1 hand in the center of the coil and pulled the other end until its pulled somewhat tight. use the hand in the center to hold it tight. then wrap the excess coil around and pull again. repeat until its small enough to put in the housing. then hold onto it really tight and a little trickery is needed, may have to try a few times to get it in. sounds confusing from my description but it should be pretty straight foward once you do it... also wear gloves that arnt baggy. dont try with bare hands i learned that the hard way :doh:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts