Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
The ZR 900 is it's replacement! They run real close to one another! With clutch work it'll be neck and neck I'd bet. The one i saw on a dealer floor was a ugly looking sled though compared to last years Cross Country Version. You'll probably see a big Suzuki 4 stroke in a sled next year or the year after.
Caleb

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
A zert 800 is not faster than the 900 in stock form! Stock to stock the 900 will win. more ower and alot less weight. It's a shame the way cat went with the t-cat.
Caleb

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sled dogg,I have to disagree.In march I ran multiple runs stock vs. stock and the zrt won 5 out of 6 times.I was as surprised as every one else present.

A

·
0 Posts
I would have to agree with Sled Dogg, the 900 would take the 800.  You must have been hooking up better.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Exactly what would make the 900 faster?  There's not a huge difference in CC's.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
The 900 has more torque and weighs ALOT less. I also believe it has a few more ponies but I'm not sure. All the news sources have saids it's faster also. but that was the early release model. We'll have to wait and see what the full production version does but it should spank it also.
Caleb

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Cat publishes 150 hp for both sleds, so I guess the reduced weight would give the 900 the advantage, especially out of the hole.  But my memories of my ZRT800's power still lead me to think that the ZRT might win if the distance was long enough...what do you think?  I know my ZR800 is "quicker" than my ZRT, but the ZRT seemed to have more at the top-end.

A

·
0 Posts
It's a given that the triple will beat the twin in a long race.  I don't see any further that 660 feet.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I don't want to start an argument here, but I think people will not change sleds just because of weight and power.

The triples and twins are 2 completely different sleds. Personally, I own 2 twins and 1 triple/triple. And the motor characteristics are completely different.

If someone likes the ZRT engine feel, they will be very disappointed with the zr twin. Even if hp is comparible.

I have heard to ends length about my buddies hopping to the Ski-doo twin band-wagon and being disappointed.

Triple/triples are in a class of trier own.
No comparison to a twin. They run completely different.

Just my opinion

·
Registered
349 Posts
I love the smoothness, and sound, not to mention the power of my 2001 ZRT 800. To each his own I say, but the biggest thrill is just cruz'n the trails and seeing the country, what a Rush.

A

·
0 Posts
ZRT you got it!  The guys I ride with ride so fast in the trails the scenery is a blur.  I love to just cruise and see the scenery.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Totally agree.  And cruising to the tune of a triple makes it all the more pleasurable.  I also have both and will personally choose my triple over my twins any day for that type of riding.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Sleddogg says the 900 has more torque.  It may have a bit more, but I guarantee the 800 has a much WIDER torque band which is a big advantage.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Jdsmi, since you have both, what would you rather ride for banging on the trails?  That's where I think the ZR is better.

·
Registered
660 Posts
By the way,

Why did Arctic Cat get out of the triple/triple business anyway? I can't find any in their 2003 lineup.

It seems strange for a company to drop a lineup that seemed popular.

I mean - look at the "baby triple" FIII market (600 cc triple/triple) - Polaris droped out in 98, Ski-doo in 99, Yamaha in 99. But Arctic cat kept the line going

And now they don't even have a big cc triple/triple on the market?

Why is that, after keeping the line running for so long.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts