Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Knew that the whole skid on the '87 Exciter 570 l/c was in bad shape. Decided to take it apart and look at it this summer. All of the rubber on the wheels are shot, as are the bearings. the shafts holding the skid up got the hell beaten out of them. Need new skid.

Anyone know what other snowmobiles skids would fit on an 87 exciter? whole thing needs to get replaced. Anyone know of someone parting out a sled that would have a skid to fit my sled? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
496 Posts
Any with that track width. Al's snowmobile parts warehouse has aton of skids I looked today but no mono shock skids . They do have a nice 2005 rs nytro skid for $600 .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just depends on the width like bone daddy said and the amount of time and money you want to put into it.
I have a '82 SRV that I put an '01 SRX skid in. This sled is actually fun to ride now and my son loves it! We take it on trail rides now all the time. This thing had next to nothing as far as travel in the rear originally. Now, well its like an '01 SRX. I chose to use this skid because I put a Viper skid on my SRX and I had the SRX skid just laying around.

You just need to get the mounting location for the arms of the skid from the donor sled.
How far back from the front drive axle are the mounting holes? how far down from the top of the tunnel?

You will have to add steel plates to make a mounting bracket for the new location of the arms on the skid to keep them from tearing up the aluminum tunnel.

It doesn't sound as if you wanted to spend a lot of money on a new skid. Artic cat and polaris made some nice skids in the 2000 time frame. You should be able to find those pretty cheap. They have a much nicer ride then the Yamahas of the same time frame. Even the newer REV skids would work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts