Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at picking up a spare uncalibrated clutch for my 01 ZR800. P/n 0746-417 is replacement for p/n 0746-103. Are there any adjustments required such as alignment, deflection, etc or can it be installed same as a 9 post? What are the benefits of the updated one? I haven't had any problems with my last two 9 posts. Which one would you buy? TIA

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The 01 800 has the older 31mm size crank, where as MOST if the newer 6 post clutches are made for the newer 33mm crank taper. Now, there are some 31mm 6 Post clutches out there, put one on a 01' ZR800 a few years ago, but they are somewhat rare.

Just double check as Cat changed the crank size in either 04 or 05.

IMO the 6 poster is a much more durable clutch and more efficient. It is basically a copy of the P-85 Polaris primary.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I won a new 9 post 8.5 on Ebay $123 :D

Uncalibrated

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 01 800 has the older 31mm size crank, where as MOST if the newer 6 post clutches are made for the newer 33mm crank taper. Now, there are some 31mm 6 Post clutches out there, put one on a 01' ZR800 a few years ago, but they are somewhat rare.

Just double check as Cat changed the crank size in either 04 or 05.

IMO the 6 poster is a much more durable clutch and more efficient. It is basically a copy of the P-85 Polaris primary.[/b]
The 6 post part # is an 8" 30mm taper. Got the updated part # from Brown's Leisure World microfiche, but there is no mention of shims, spacers or any other adjustments required?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Well I have done this swap myself on a 01' 800 ZR and all that was necessary was re-shimming the secondary to maintain belt offset, but that was mearly the shims behind the 2ndary clutch.

You wont find much as far as a procedure on it, as no two sleds are the same and you can't dial it in until it is on the sled.

Same spings and weights though (on the one I did, it still used the small pin weights)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts