Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
How would I go about removing and replacing a damaged belt on a 1991 Arctic Cat Jag 340 Deluxe.
It's an old sled but it keep trucking along. The belt is cracked and is missing 4 or 5 cogs in a row. :(

·
Registered
177 Posts
get someone to hold the brake on (or put the emergency brake on)

and reach down and pull up in the bottom of the belt until the belt slips up into the secondary clutch... at that point you will be able to remove the belt by slipping it off of the secondary clutch one side at a time...

to put it back on put the belt around the primary clutch first (the one attached to the motor) and then put it over top of the secondary as far as it will go... while still applying the brake... you will have to use some muscle here and try to push the belt further down between the sheaths of the secondary until it will go around the bottom of the secondary....(try pushing towards the back of the sled at the same time as pushing down)

does this make sense to you? or would you like me to try to clarify more?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help.
I just wanted to make sure I didn't need any specail tools. Thanks for letting me know about the process.
Much appreciated.

·
Registered
185 Posts
another trick is to cut a 2" section off your old belt and keep it in your kit so when you need to change belts on the trail you compress the sec and insert the piece of belt to hold it open while you change your belt. After belt is on remove the piece and your ready to ride.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts