Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i,m replacing my pistons in my 02 800 mxz . 6,400 trouble free KM so far.!!!!!

I ordered a set of CUDNEY PISTONS with chrome rings.

1. does anybody know if these pistons are any different from the SPI pistons you see on ebay.they look the same to me.?
2. should I use cageless bearings like whats in there or go with caged bearings.? ( little scared with going with the cageless.!!! ) just tring to install them.
3 what is the best way to install the piston clips any special way they go in.Should the gap face a special way.?

4. what is the breakin period for new pistons.?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Well i,m replacing my pistons in my 02 800 mxz . 6,400 trouble free KM so far.!!!!!

I ordered a set of CUDNEY PISTONS with chrome rings.

1. does anybody know if these pistons are any different from the SPI pistons you see on ebay.they look the same to me.?

Bill's are a custom order from the same manufacturer to his own specs.

2. should I use cage less bearings like whats in there or go with caged bearings.? ( little scared with going with the cage less.!!! ) just trying to install them.

If your stock cage less bearings aren't blue or banged up re use them using heavy viscosity synthetic grease to hold them while you install them into the rod then insert a short socket (14 mm Snap On fits) into the bearings to hold them there until the piston is in place. Now push the piston pin through and catch the socket. This way you will need to install both retainer clips in each piston after.

3 what is the best way to install the piston clips any special way they go in.Should the gap face a special way.?

The clip openings should face either straight up or straight down because mounted with the opening side ways the weight (mass) of the clip at high RPMs will cause it to elongate and it will loose its installed tension and rotate eventually wearing out the groove and leaving the piston. Using an installer is the best way for the clips. One can be fashioned out of a small piece of 3/4" copper pipe with one end beveled and a similar sized deep socket to fit inside and push the clip throught once its installed into the pipe. Whichever method you choose, don't over tweek the clips or scratch the piston pin bore.

[attachment=40963:pin_clip_installer.jpg]

4. what is the break in period for new pistons.?

Check your oil pump setting before doing anything. Start the motor and fully warm it up (Jugs hot to touch) then let it cool down completely (cold). Repeat this process 4 times and your good to go.
Just take it easy for the first 300 Km and try to vary the engine speed all the time. Avoid mid range cruise and deep snow
[/b]

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
Docs method for the wrist pin bearings is awsome. First time trying it and it worked like a charm. Very easy, no need to be affraid. I use needle nose for the c-clips. Not the best way but I can't afford all the tools. Okay as long as you don't over stretch them.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thumbdoctor thanks for the great info. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I wish you lived closer, I could invite you over for a few beers and a big fat steak and you could supervise the install :tongue: w00t

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Thumbdoctor thanks for the great info. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I wish you lived closer, I could invite you over for a few beers and a big fat steak and you could supervise the install :tongue: w00t[/b]
If you don't mind paying the postage. I can lend you the clip installer (anyone on here for that matter). Just PM me your addy and its on the way. Don't delay cause the holiday mail is going to hit the fan soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts