Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone compared speedwise identical sleds other than 1 having RER and the other not? Somebody I know has a GT with the 800 and he says it is slower than a 800 he had without RER. Any truth to this?

·
Registered
442 Posts
i cant imagine how the RER could affect the speed of the sled there is little or no weight with that system the only real difference is a different secondary clutch and a different CDI and maybe a few other coils but i dont think i could affect power any.

were you comparing this GT 800 to a mxz 800 or another short-tracked sled because if you were then thats your answer.  

plus i dont think the clutching would be set us as aggresively on a GT as it would be mxz

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what the previous sled was. But, my thoughts on the idea were similiar to yours. All things being equal, there shouldn't be a difference.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ski-Doo now are having non-RER sleds come with the RER secondary because of better backshifting and more top end speed. No I haven't tested the 2 sleds but this I read in a couple of snowmobile mags(American Snowmobiler & SuperTrax) and a dealer confirmed for me. It is because of the different helix.

·
Registered
233 Posts
SUPERTRAX MAGAZINE VOLUME 13 NO.4 PAGE 29. IT'S THE RACE 440'S EDITION 2002. THEY CLAIM 1, POSSIBLY 2 M.P.H. PAST 100 M.P.H. WITH THE RER HELIX.

·
Registered
978 Posts
rer secondary's are faster than non rer's if everything else is the same. The secondary on the rer has more side wall pressure witch keeps the belt from slipping, and allows you to use less spring tention. And a nice backshift as a bonus!

·
Registered
171 Posts
the main advantage lies in the fact that the RER secondary has greater bearing area and support and thus is less prone to binding.  I was told by a knowledgeable race tuner that the standard SD formula sec is the most inefficient of all sec clutches (due to binding)

·
Registered
171 Posts
while the roller will help with the shifting/backshifting it will not aid the binding issue which is the main culprit in this clutch

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
hi guys: i have and the rer machz is quicker and faster. the secondary is all what was mentioned above. but also is a touch larger in diameter. the cdi and the stator are different and wich results in a different timming curve. remember the mike houle; most people where saying yeah but its been ported from factory......not just had the rer system. most people around here think im modified but ........not....he he

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Wouldnt it be better to get the non RER if you are a tweaker?? Wouldnt the selection of helixes and springs be better??

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have the 99 Mach Z with RER and it flat out rocks. You don't want the old style secondary for any reason. You can tinker with the new style all you need. This RER sec is easy to tune and allows you to get it right a lot quicker. I can't say enough good stuff about it. The number one issue is most people are messing up the secondary when they should be in the primary. Therefore they go slower, and once again I show them the snowflap!!! Pretty much all of the trail riders need to leave the secondary near stock. But, it is so easy to mess with the secondary, that everyone does it. Oh well....... it sells a ton of parts for the aftermarket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts