Snowmobile World banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Now that I'm home I can post pictures. I wish I had someone to video record the reassembly. Getting the cylinders to accept the pistons with rings took some finesse.

All the goodies from Millennium Technologies ready for assembly.

The machining work looked good. I didn't bother measuring.

The new pistons have coated skirts. The old pistons did not have this. I probably could have saved $30 and reused the original roller bearings.

Pistons assembled on the rods and the cylinders dropped over them. Next comes the heads and manifolds.

This is after I got it running properly after the carb rework.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Sounds like all you need to add is snow and a bigger front yard ;)
No doubt. I had about half an inch of snow covering about half the yard. I did a bunch of laps on the snow covered parts to give the rings an opportunity to seat a bit. I don't even want to know what the neighbors think. :rolleyes2:

Watch me try to start it a few pulls THEN figure out I have the kill-switch in the wrong position. :cussing:

It fired on the next pull once I had a live ignition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcvPrk7lkZc

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The engine looks awesome! Millennium does another one right :D

When I send anything to them, I send them a new piston and they will fit it to the cylinder. No muss, no fuss. Saves a bunch of time.

Nice work getting it going, it's kind of fun taking dead sleds and making them live again!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I finally had an opportunity to be up at my folks house after it snowed. This is the first this engine has run for any length of time and with any real loading on it. I mean I did do some laps of the front lawn several weeks ago but that wasn't really working the engine much. Starts easy, idles stable, runs strong without falter. This video was taken with one hand holding a smartphone and the other operating the vehicle. A GoPro camera with a helmet mount would have produced a much better viewpoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkQMI3X2CZE&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It's not a bad idea to re-torque the head nuts after they have had an opportunity to heat and cool a couple of times. Sometimes the heat cycles will change the torque a bit. Same goes for the clutch bolt; re-torque that after your first ride, they often will be looser.

Nice job!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts