Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience replacing REV ball joints? The rubber boot on my right ball joint has torn (previous owner) and I would like to replace both. I am not sure where to start. I have attached a photo of the problem area.[attachment=40817:BallJoint.jpg]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
I'm dooing that myself right now.

I took the a-arm off. Then I heated up the arm all the way around the ball joint. Then I set it on steel blocks and knocked it out with a big socket and hammer. It pops out quite easily after being heated.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I'm dooing that myself right now.

I took the a-arm off. Then I heated up the arm all the way around the ball joint. Then I set it on steel blocks and knocked it out with a big socket and hammer. It pops out quite easily after being heated.[/b]
I will get you a pick of my press and you can make one. nothing but a beefy c-clamp with differant diameter cups . here http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1/page_...c_7249_rea.html :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
A press would really be the way to go, but it would take a specially designed cup (altered) to fit the exit side of the a-arm. i.e. it's not flat on that side. There are gussets in the way. It really takes very little heat, but a small clamp press would make it so you could do it more easily while the a-arms are still on the sled. Let's make the cup to fit!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Why not go to the autoparts store and buy some new boots if the joint is still serviceable. Universal tie rod end boots fit fine. BTW I have drilled and tapped my ball joints and installed grease zerks. The worst part is, when I put grease in for the first time, water came out. The boots weren't split or damaged, the sled had 2 kilometers on it.

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
Why not go to the autoparts store and buy some new boots if the joint is still serviceable. Universal tie rod end boots fit fine. BTW I have drilled and tapped my ball joints and installed grease zerks. The worst part is, when I put grease in for the first time, water came out. The boots weren't split or damaged, the sled had 2 kilometers on it.[/b]

The boots on mine were okay, but the ball joints were about ready to come apart. 5500 miles.

TD...Did you just drill into the flat plate in the top of the ball joint?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The boots on mine were okay, but the ball joints were about ready to come apart. 5500 miles.

TD...Did you just drill into the flat plate in the top of the ball joint?[/b]
Yes just drill and tap 1/4 X 26 TPI or metric here in EH land. Some models already had small plugs ready to go.

·
4,440 Posts
I have a master adapter kit for the ball joint press. I am sure the kit helps now that I am looking at the picture . a trip to harbour freight would get you one cheaper. take a look at the master and see. http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1/page_...t_otc_7918.html much cheaper at the china store, I guess if it is not heavy usage it would last , maybe if it is. http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/...t&Submit=Go you don't really have to take the ball joint out to do the boots though do you? just use a separater to get it out of the aluminum spindle and you can get to the boot. which is what doc is saying I think. I am getting familiar with the tool again after a few years of non usage. doing the truck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have removed the old one and am having a difficult time installing the replacement. I think that a press will definitely be required and will be likely buying one tomorrow. I will update the thread once I complete the job. Thanks to all for the input!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, I am in Canada and Canadian Tire has a "borrow a tool" program. I borrowed their ball joint / u-joint press kit and rigged it up to work. The ball joint was pressed in within seconds and the job is now done. I must admit that having the correct tools really makes the job easier and more successful. The kit that I borrowed looked exactly like the ones mentioned earlier in the thread but I didn't have to pay anything to use it.

Once again I would like to thank everyone for their input and suggestions.

·
4,440 Posts
OK, I am in Canada and Canadian Tire has a "borrow a tool" program. I borrowed their ball joint / u-joint press kit and rigged it up to work. The ball joint was pressed in within seconds and the job is now done. I must admit that having the correct tools really makes the job easier and more successful. The kit that I borrowed looked exactly like the ones mentioned earlier in the thread but I didn't have to pay anything to use it.

Once again I would like to thank everyone for their input and suggestions.[/b]
most big stores here ,do the same. glad it helped :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts