Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just returned from a REV ride.  We spent about 3 hours  looking, riding and comparing.  The test bed consisted of 1 01'x 800, renegade, mountaincat.  The sled is by far the most dramatic change I have ever felt.  It does handle bumps very well and is the flattest and hardest cornering sled to date including the 97' sx with good carbide.  The power is very similar to the 800 of today, the clutching was pretty shady for the conditions but not bad for a "prototype".  After I convinced myself it was just like racing my Honda 250R, I started to like it.  I feel it can be closest related to a GNCC racing 4-wheeler in feel.  The suspension was very good, even for my 200+ payload.  We made no adjustments to the machine and rode it as is.  There is some feel of tipping forward that was never felt on previous machines.  Ergo's are typical Doo style.  The guages are really neat but a little hard to see as your eye is trained to look somwhere else.  

All in all I would sum it up by saying this:  Excellent trail/ hard riding sled.  I am not sure if it a lake racer or not, not enough room.  Before purchasing one convince yourself to accept the awkwardness, in time it grows on you.

GLHRACING

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
glhracing,
 i am glad to read what you posted and will take your advice. i felt totally confident when i read your test that is something i don't feel when i read from the magazines i get mailed to me.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ZRT600MtnCat,

From an engineers point of view, I would have a hard time putting this thing in the mountains.  The lack of leverage would make it difficult Durring turn-outs.  I was nervous about taking it down a ski slope with about a 45% angle, let alone a steeper hill.  Climbing is not the problem, the weight transfer is pretty good.  You just get a feel of "short wheel base" when coming down the hill.  I actually got the track to come off the ground, just as if I hit the front brakes on my quad.  For now I would not expect it in the mountains or rather wouldn't want it in the mountains.

GLHRACING

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
New Sled Blues:

Does anyone know how many REVs were out on the snow this winter? I'd say the ones that were, were in the hands of dealers with good maintenance. How about a season of real world abuse and/or lack of maintenance by real sledders?

Last winter while passing thru Temagami, we saw a Viper at the Shell station. One of the guys in my group has blue underwear, so he had to go and look at it and talk to the guy. I think the guy was a district sales managewr (or some other middle management job). Low and behold when we were just south of Smooth Rock Falls, within 10 minutes, we saw 2 Vipers being towed into town. I found out from another blue underwear type that I know, the fuel pumps were freezing up. So much for prototype testing, they have to get out in the real world.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Addition to my previous post: It was this year we saw the Vipers being towed.

·
Registered
858 Posts
When I tested the Rev, they had 9 and they were over 500 km's. The only problem was that on one of em, the belt shredded 3 times in a day but since there was no wear on the other's, I think the alignement wasn't made properly.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wonder what the clutching is like, the tra 3, has 14 degrees insted of 12 I believe. More belt squeeze.Wonder if you could machine a 14 degree onto a 12 degree tra, hhhmmm.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I am no expert sledder or enginer  I ride a 2001 550 panther   last week I was in canada with a ski doo, polaris, yamaha dealer.   my wife was riding our old 93 lynx and the stator burned out so I lost my panther for most of the week   the dealer let me ride the 4 stroke polaris frontier. on the one day I asked him if I could ride his rev until the next stop .   it was very quick it did not take much throtle to make that sucker go.    the ride on a nice trail was smooth but I had a hard time to keep it from darting back and forth.   I rode it for about 10 miles on a curvy and twisty groomed trail.   I did not like not having a windshield  though.   the dealer said you have to ride it 1/2 a day to get used to it.  It did not seem to be unstable as far as tipping. but I did not like the darting when I would get up to about 65.   I thought the ride was more comfortable than the fronter  but when I ride my cat I still think I like it better.  

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I just test drove one today.  I LOVED it!  I wish I had a bigger place to try it out at though.  I love everything about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts