Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I had the chance to try out the new Rev 800.
The first impression that I had is Holly #### is this ever high and small! This impression intensified rather quickly when I started to speed up. It took about 30 sec. to get used to the feeling and new seating position. Since we were on a lake to start with, I decided to push abit more. I got to 100 mph on speedo which felt more like 60 because of the suspension. The surface of the lake was covered with 10" bumps which would otherwise render most snowmobiles out of control but I just couldn't feel the bumps! We went in an area of the lake which was flat and had 1" of hard packed on the Ice, in other words, perfect conditions for top speed
I squeezed the gas until I reached 117 mph. I then discovered that The Rev was not going to be a lake racer. The light front didn't stick to the ground and the whole sled was shaking violently. It would of most certainly go faster because the speedo kept climbing but the sled was just too unstable even with my weight (230) so I backed off. I tried again and each time I would go faster than 100 mph, it was nearly impossible to control. We were then led to some small, ungromed trail, which had about 1 to 1 1/2 sled width. Prior to this, we tried it with our snowmobiles so we could feel the difference. It was VERY bumpy, washboard for a whole 15 km's with bumps ranging from 4" to 24", not the worst trails I've seen but pretty close. We couldn't go really fast because the trail were twisty and skis were bouncing off the bumps making it hard to impossible to steer at  high speed (70 + kph). With the Rev, it sliced through like a knife in butter  
 I just couldn't feel the bumps, it was as if we were ridding on a groomed trail. My brother, who was behind me with his Formula STX (modified susp. for moguls) couldn't keep up and I wasn't even ridding close to aggressively with the Rev. The cornering of the Rev was also incredible. I was taking the turns one by one going faster in them every time and expected the skis to lift but it never happened. In no time, I was doing 100 kph in that trail and still the sled wasn't pushed to it's limits, in fact, the G force was so great that it pulled my outside the corners and the sled was still hooked on the ground somehow. After the 1 hr of trial that I was allowed, I still didn't achieved the limit of that sled both in cornering and in bumps. I also tried a few jumps. The first one scared me as hel, it seemed that I was going to nose dive but the sled landed flat horizontal. The other that followed did the same thing. The sled automatically goes horizontal when you lift off a jump. I wondered why Blair Morgan was always horizontal in the air, now I know why. As for comfort, I could ride that sled longer than any other, the seating position feels so natural that your muscles don't need to work (except for thumb muscle)

My overall opinion is that the Rev is an incredible leap forward for twisty trails, moguls and cross country. In normal trails, I would still prefer it to any other sled because of cornering and seating position unless the trails are really straight. As for lake racing, it's probably the worst sled out there. I would of liked to try a 600 HO which wasn't there because since this sled is not made to go 100 mph + I don't think it's necessary to buy an 800. One of my major concerns was the performance in powder but with the bad weather we've been having all winter, it wasn't possible to test it in more than 6" of snow:(  
I tried to get some info from the Rep. but either he didn't know anything or he didn't want to say. He hinted that with the poor sale numbers of mach Z's this year, it might be the last year of the tripples at bombardier. And as for those who wanted to know if a long track version of the Rev would come out, he simply said to wait for next year.
ZRT600, It doesn't seem that the Rev will come in a blue color but you can always custom paint.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
ac,
 you sure tell a great review there, it was like i was on the sled myself and seen it with my own eyes. i guess i had better get my boney little butt out and try one. if you were to go to the ski-doo forum you'll see where mr.mxz 900 had a little different review than yourself, which proves the sled is not for everybody. but i will bet that all the oems go like the rev soon.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Great review AC. So no sore knees from bumping on the cowling? How is that short seat for taller guys? You are one of the priveledged few my friend!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Great Review
!!!  Good to hear that the Rev is a pretty nice sled.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rocketman, I'm 5'10 and the sled fit me like a glove but I can see how tall guys could feel a bit cramped at the end of the day. I guess they'll just have to try it out and see how it feels. As for susp., it was set to the lowest setting and I never bottomed !!! first time this happened to me with a stock sled. I think I might be

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I re-read mxz900 post about the Rev and I can agree that it's not for everyone. I usually ride aggressively and standing on the front of my sled in the rough stuff  (which I like) and the seating position of the Rev takes all of that strain off. For people who are more touring ridder's, who would prefer that the trails were always smoothed, grommed and straight then this sled isn't really for you, it actually urges for more bumps. One other thing that I agree with mxz900 is that yes, the steering does feel twitchy and it's really sensible. Not sure if it's because of the precision skis on it but it would of been fun to try some less aggressive skis. The cornering still kick's a$$ though  

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm not sold on the REV yet.  It really seems to be aimed at the aggressive rider.  With the way the speeds are enforced on the trails around here, the REV would definitely be overkill.  I couldn't imagine going 100 Km/h on any twisty trail (groomed or otherwise).  On the lake is another story....

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
AC Great review.  

I read MXZ900s review and i just couldnt agree with it.  Im sure he had his reasons but when i sat on it my legs wernt even close to the cowl and if anything they would hang out the side.  

Im sure the sled can be made more stable with suspention adjustments and a little trial so that doest work for me.  

But having a rev and the Mach will give you the best of both worlds.  

And as for the rep saying this will be the last year for the mach.  Well they have been saying that for the last 4 years and unless bombardier doesnt want a yellow 2001 mach z to be driving right through there door in valcort they better keep it.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
AC Great review.  

I read MXZ900s review and i just couldnt agree with it.  Im sure he had his reasons but when i sat on it my legs wernt even close to the cowl and if anything they would hang out the side.  

Im sure the sled can be made more stable with suspention adjustments and a little trial and error so that doest worry for me.  

But having a rev and the Mach will give you the best of both worlds.  

And as for the rep saying this will be the last year for the mach.  Well they have been saying that for the last 4 years and unless bombardier doesnt want a yellow 2001 mach z to be driving right through there door in valcort they better keep it.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Ac, how was take off with that sled ? would it stick to the ground or did the front end lift a bit ?   Wich color was your, i think the black one is nicer then the yellow.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DanR, I had the Yellow one and it was kinda dirty. The plastic used for the cab is porous so it gets dirty quickly. As for the take off, I though that it had less acceleration then my 670 w/ paddle track but this might be because of the seating position and the engines have underwent alot of testing. It accelerated up to 105 mph without any slow down of acceleration and went up to 117 pretty fast.There was no odometer on it but it looked like it had a couple hundred or thousand K's on the motor and the Rep guy told me it was the 2002 800 inside so the 2003 should be even faster ! It did not lift up at all on take off which suprised me cause if the engine is so far back, I was expecting  to doo wheelies but it never happened, in fact, I couldn't get the front to lift off at all, even on hill tops. It's difficult to really describe the feeling, the seating position is so natural and susp. so smooth that you can't really tell at what speed your actually going and what the acceleration is.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Nice review, is it a cold sled? does it offer much wind protection with that new windshield fairing set up ?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bartman, I did not gave  lot's of attention about if it's cold or not but I remember that I had to duck slightly so my head would not be exposed to wind on the lake but otherwise, I can't say that I felt wind or cold.

DanR, I might email my review to bombardier. It would be pretty sweet to have a job as a Rep  

1 - 15 of 15 Posts