Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Jefferson wi, the local ski-doo dealer had factory reps inhouse for the lake geneva snow cross weekend. Present, were various racing sleds, and some of the 2003 sleds including 3 revs. Here is my nsho on the rev after pouring over it for about an hour or so......
First off, let's get this one over with right away: It looks cheap and ugly. Period. Like a giant magnet that drove through a parts bin.
Of course, to many people, this doesn't matter much, but to me, (owner of two black f-body machs) see above statement.
But engineering wise, it is a masterpiece. Opening the left side panel, you have unbelievably unencumbered access to the clutches. Under the right panel, same goes for the brake and chaincase. This sled is a tinkerers dream come true.
The seating position feels really right, poised for action, but you are not sure until you climb off of the rev and immediately on to a regular sled. This is where it becomes apparent that on a regular sled, your weight is on your tailbone. On the rev, your weight is concentrated on your legs like it should be.
This riding position is great, but you are locked into this position for the duration. If you have any long distance experience, with a sled or a motorcycle, not being able to move your legs to a different position once in a while will drive you nuts eventually, causing you to pull over and rest.
To me, the ultimate comfortable sled would be the traditional skid with a bit higher seating position so your legs don't fold so much, coupled with an adjustable backrest and a higher handlebar. Ski-doo has gone too extreem with the rev, and I'll bet the other manufacturers sleds will end up somewhere in the middle. I am a ski-doo fan and rider, but boy, as far as the new sleds go, the mach-z and the fire cats trip my trigger.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I hear you ++++++, loved the magnet parts bin description...this sled is so ugly its "beautiful" in my opinion.
It looks like the engineering is right, the prices I've heard are right, the colors are right, the options are right...But................Oh that seating position?
I like riding on my Butt! for long cruises like last weekend in michigans U.P. and I'm not sure I could sit on that thing for long stretches at a time...... I'm really on the fence, I'd like to own one, but I'm just not sure!! I'd like to hear from someone who has ridden it for a few 100 miles, not just around the block!
Thanks DooZ

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
This sled is the way of the future guys!  I love it.  Just my opinion.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I agree, the sled isnt the best looking sled on the market.  But, its a new design, and Ski-Doo is trying something new.  You can't expect to it be a hit right away.  But, on the other hand the engine, and the platform look to be just awesome.  I think it will be a huge hit.  It will be one of those sleds that just grows on you.  The first time I saw it, I was like YUCK!! But now I'm starting to really think its very attractive.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
It's just like the color yellow on any vehicle.  Before I got into sledding, I used to HATE the color yellow on vehicles.  So I buy this ski-doo and it's yellow! What a coinsidence!  I LOVE yellow now!

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think its a great step for those who like to ride the moguls and rough trails. The position is right for it and it is a great way to approach this aspect of the market. The only thing is what happens when the trails are smooth? You can't corner a sled sitting like that. I ride in canada north of the St Lawrence around Quebec city where the trails are always smooth and I couldn't see myself on the rev up there. I will never forget when I first started riding I used to always have my feet on the running boards underneath me, much like the way you sit on the rev. Finally one of my buddies told me to keep my feet in the wells. He said "you'll never be able to corner a sled that way" and as I learned how to ride I realized the importance of that position when it comes to hard cornering. What I am getting at is this machine is a compromise. Everyone seems to feel its the perfect all round sled. I think its the perfect sled for jumping and moguls but I will stay with the more traditional position for the smooth twisties. Besides who actually likes riding rough trails anyway?

·
Registered
191 Posts
The REVs looks also "grew" on me.. I now think it looks awesome!   How it could look cheap, I don't understand?  I seen it at a few shows and I thought the workmanship/fitn'finish was awesome!  I havnt ridden it but I think the riding position would be comfortable once you get used to it.  If your legs get cramped from being more bent... you can always stand up.  I also rode with my feet outside of the footrests when I first started to ride snowmobiles... hit a big chunk of unseen ice at speed with only one ski and you learn real fast to keep your feet in the holds to stop them from flying off the machine.  Kissing the hood on my sled at 60 mph wasnt fun!  I think the fact that alot of beginners are putting their feet further back on the machine is a sigh of a "natural position" as they havnt been trained to ride.. so they do what feels "norma;".  On a "conventional" chassis, your feet then come out of the foot rests and then you are asking for trouble.  MHO anyway.

·
Registered
858 Posts
99srx700, I've ridden the Rev in trois-rivière on Quebec trails and let me say that it outcorners every sled that I tried up to now in rough and good trails and it's even easier to lean sideways because of the seating position. As for the back, after doing 100 km's I must say that I felt better than on sleds with usual seating position. I agree that it's not for everybody but it sure fit me like a glove  

·
Registered
912 Posts
AC,
did you get much protection from the wind??
I stopped at my local dealer this evening (because of the REV in the parking lot  
) The seating position felt very natural, more like sitting upright than in the attack position. Only thing I'm worried about is wind protection. The windshield looks like it "should" protect your chest and head, but anything below that appears to be out in the cold.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I didn't really noticed if it protected me from the wind, guess I was too busy testing it for other things. The only thing that I can say is that It was windy for the head and I had to duck a couple of inches to get out of the windstream at 100+ mph. I'm used to an extra short windshield so I can't really compare

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
DooZ, you hit the nail on the head. Put a hundred miles on it on groomed trails. I't would be interesting to see what the longest ride anyone in the media industry had on one.

I had seen the sled before at the Kawartha snowcross, but there was a crowd around it so I only sat on it for about a minute.

I stopped at White Water and must of spent about 15 minutes sitting on it and crawling around beside it.

Comments:

I don't know how they had the bars set but they felt too far forward for my liking.

Everyone is talking about riding on the tank. Well I slid forward on the seat and my lower legs were hitting the side panels.

The wind deflectors look cheesy.

The trunk could have been designed to add a bit more space. All the corners seem to have a 2" radius (a lot of wasted space if you're trying to pack squarish items)

The access to the chaincase & secondary is great.

Location of the tool pouch, not so great. (by bellypan behind secondary)

The finish of the top hood is nice and glossy. The side panels were dull. I think they are made of different materials. Has anyone heard what materials are being made of? The panels may not be final production pieces. It would be nice if they were shiny.

The pierced & flanged portions with the serrated edge on the running boards are a nice detail. They could do that across the board & on the footrests of the ZX sled. IT would add some cost to the stamping dies, but I think riders would appreciate their feet not sliding around.
For those of us who are on the fence and don't have to buy a sled for next season, we can wait by the computer and read the reports from out in the "real world"

·
Registered
308 Posts
I rode the rev on a canadian trial after riding a polaris frontier touring sled getting on the rev was different.  I normaly ride my 550 panther.  I thought  it felt like sitting on my atv  I found the sitting position on the  rev to be very comfortable and the  ride my back liked when compared to the frontier.  it had awsome power I only found two things I did not care for in the 10 to 15 miles I rode 1.  not having a windsheild, I do not like. 2.  I found the steering to be skitish I think if I had rode it all day my arms would have minded it. maybe it was the way the sled was set up I do not know.  I did not try turns to fast  but it  felt comfortable at trail speeds. It seemed very stable in the turns although it still had a tendency to push out but nothing abnormal .

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Powderdog, with a tree like that, you must be Clark Griswold  

·
Registered
858 Posts
The REV is at my dealership and people can test ride. Today,  150 people showed up to test it. They have it until tomorrow. I've heard that they sold 12 this morning and 3 were sold to hardcore Yamie and Cat ridders.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Thanks AC,
I'll have to wait and see, bet the REV will be an awesome sled for "Hard" riding. Not sure about all day cruises though, suppose I'll have to ride one for myself
cant wait!

revrnd,
what.... you think its time to take down the tree? lol

·
Registered
918 Posts
Just went and sat on one, didn't get to ride but I loved it. I almost always ride with my knees at a 90 degree angle anyway and on the REV that puts my feet right under the bulk head for control. Wish I had the money.......
                      Ryan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts