Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the REV and though the windshgield looks cool and I like the concept of adjustablity I bet it won't make it through one role over. I feel for you guys that ride hard and role sleds as it looks like it's going to break the first chance it gets.
Caleb

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
At least the handle bar frame member isn't a plastic gas tank, roll a F-7 and total machine out. What's a windshield cost, $100.00? So what. I've broke 2 since 1975.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Caleb, You may be correct but I don't think many people will influence their buying decision based on how well a windshield holds up from a roll over.  On my list of important things in a sled I put this one right below the color of the bottom of the skis.  I will admit I am not thrilled with the looks of the windshield but it is OK.  The rear of the sled is really starting to grow on me.  I now look at other sleds and they look archaic compared to the REV.  I think a boxy ended tunnel with a flat snow flap looks pretty old now.  

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm starting to like it's looks somewhat with the right color scheme but I bet that windshiled will be  ALOT more than $100 and if it isn't a consern there is something wrong with you! Why buy a machine that can't take a roll over? It's idiotic! It's the only thing I really see wrong with the REV.
Caleb

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
The windsheild wont be a problem.  Bombardier has a windsheild ejection system that allows the windsheld to pop of the machine and flex flat or flap away during a roll.  Yes a high speed roll might still do it in but in that case i think the windsheild will be the last of your problems.

I rolled my s chassie twice and both times the windsheild popped off and saved me the windsheild.  THen all i needed to do was find the rubber elastics that hold it on and replace.

One thing that no one mentions about the REV is its construction material.  Its made out of SURLYN plastic.  Surlyn is probably the best suited plastic for a sled.  Instead of creasing or cracking it bends and then bends back to shape with out leaving a crease.  Its really flexable yet tough.  It will save a lot of headaches and replacement panals.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
It will be interesting to hear the field reports on the wind protection in sub zero F temps. I rode a friend's '96 Vmax 600 & Yamaha may as well not even bothered to put a 'shield on it. It was useless.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
This machine has probably spent more hours in a wind tunnel then any of us spend typing on this site.  Im sure bombardier has taken the wind protection in to there line of thinking and it wont be a problem.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL at the vmax shield. Oh god the horror stories I have riding with one. I froze my face off with it. I think, think being the key word that the REV will work well. It looked like it adjust's up quite high.
Caleb

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Machzzzz1 @ Aug. 28, 2002, 11:56pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This machine has probably spent more hours in a wind tunnel then any of us spend typing on this site.  Im sure bombardier has taken the wind protection in to there line of thinking and it wont be a problem.[/b][/quote]
Are you saying Ski-doo tested the low 'shield on the '91 Machs?
There was another example of styling over function.

I rode a '92 in Sudbury in 0*F weather, not a fun experience if you weren't wearing leathers.

We'll know for sure how effective the 'shield is when the '04 prototypes are unveiled  

·
Registered
692 Posts
sled dog   you roled a rev and broke the windsheild all ready? wow you must be the first on the trails!  
just like the new cats they LOOK fast key word look!
im sure ski doo was thinking of that

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Folgers,
   I'm speaking from looking at it for a bit. The wind shield is mounted to the handle bars and moves with the bars ala ACAT Prowler. It adjusts up and down for wind protection but it is made from some sort of plastic as Machzzzz1 stated. I know it wasn't very moveable when I tried flexing it. And it sure doesn't look like it's going to be cheap to replace. We'll see.
Caleb

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
No the windsheild is just made out of the same stuff like on other windsheilds. I was talking about the body construction.

Im just saying that skidoos windshilds are not mounted to the body, simply held in with elastics that slip over the windshild and allow it to pop of.  Its worked for me on 2 occations.  From my experiance it is very hard to break a windshild that doesnt stay locked on to the machine.  Hopfully the rev will be like that.  But im not planning to roll anything.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Got the 2003 parts catalogue out and the rev windshield is $75 US but if you roll it you will probably break the handguards first which sell for $40 US.The high rev winshield goes for $85 US.They are no more expensive then the ZX shields.I like the 2-tone precision ski-sole they have for the Rev.Check out the new catalogue,there is lots of nice accessories for your new Rev.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But will the shield be the only thing that breaks or will the whole mount snap? That;s going to be the question.
Caleb

·
Registered
858 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But will the shield be the only thing that breaks or will the whole mount snap[/b][/quote]

A guy rolled one when I went for a test drive last winter. The windshield has only little studs going in a rubber O ring and it just came out. You only have to pop it back in place no harm done.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'll stand by my initial opinion in saying that it looks like an afterthought and will eventually end up on the hood somehow.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I would also be worried about it folding back at high speeds.
It seems VERY flimsey sitting on it. I could see it shaking and giggling around all day, that would drive me nuts!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, I got a question to all you REV owners out there. Is the Sport windshield higher than the X? Got a bit of a cold face when I was riding today, it was –16C and I’m a bit on the tall side so it might not help, but it would be nice to know. Also if I would put on a bar riser will the stock windshield fit or not. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts