Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This is the year I buy a new sled. Something tells me I should wait until the groundbreaking sleds have broken ground, so to speak, but I want one now!

I was originally looking at a Firecat F7 but am now entertaining the thought of a rev 600.
The more research I do the harder the decision becomes.

any ideas?

???

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
REV, but perhaps I'm brand biased.

For some reason, I just don't like the looks of the Firecat, but lots of people don't like the looks of the REV either.

But looks aren't everything. As my buddy used to say "no need to look at the mantle when your poking the fire"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comments,

There have been several factors that have got me all turned around.

I want a snowmobile that I can push hard. I am concerned about weight, suspension and cornering.
I don't want a lake sled.
I don't need a huge power plant.
I want a 'get me to the next corner and around it fast' kinda sled.
I am not brand specific, I am prepared to buy whatever fits my requirements.

Firecat good:
weight
like the feel/look/ergos
interested in their new 700 engine and positioning
like the suspensions
like their snowx experience of the last few years

Firecat bad:
they seem rushed to get this thing done
last minute changes
new engine and positioning
thinner track and possible cornering issues

Rev good:
everybody who has ridden this thing seems to think this is the cats meow (no pun intended)
very good reviews on cornering and performance, and the apparent snowcross foundation of the design.
like the new skis
So far I've never been disappointed by Ski-doo
I'm a short fella
good snowx results so far

Rev bad:
I have not yet warmed up to it's look
I already have bad knees from motocross
may not fit in my truck if it's actually 47" wide
it's expensive
the Ski-doo salesman calls me 'guy', I hate that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
IMO- the 600HO Rev---for the riding style you described. As for the bad you listed your knee issues better off on the Rev due to your legs will be more underneath you and supporting your body wieght INSTEAD of yor knees and back,the looks will grow on you and the accessories are awesome, the initial price is offset a bit due to the higher resale value and screw the salesman and talk to the owner directly for a better deal. And the finisher in your own words...."ski doo hasn't let me down".
I can't wait until they release the "REV-AGADE" so I can order mine.
PS-besides you want to be on the side saying I knew my HO would eat up those F-7's not over there going what the "F%$#" am I going to do now?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would go with the REV, and here's why:

1. Weight is almost identical to the Firecat. On a scale done by two magazines on two separate occassions, the 800 REV was only 3 pounds heavier than a Firecat F5!

2. Nearly 120 HP out of a 600! Not bad...

3. The ski-doo motor is based on the 700/800 mill, and is tried and true. The F7 motor is all new. Makes me worry a little...

4. Easier transition to standing while riding. Neutral seating position means fewer jolts to the back. May work out to your advantage for your knee problems.

5. Longer and narrower track on the Firecat is more prone to understeer, because its natural resistance to "turning-in". From what I have read, this gives an "uneasy" feeling while entering a corner, especially fast sweepers, which has to be gotten used to.

6. SC-10 III suspension is the best rear skid around (until something better comes along).

7. Dual runner Precision skis are awesome. My '02 has them and they are great.

8. RER is waaaaaaaaaay cool, and once you have it, you want it on everything.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
468 Posts
personally i would take the rev over the firecat,i ride both a doo and a polaris.you not interested in a pro-x.just cause it not"all new and ground breaking"doesn't mean it won't be a hot sled.i was looking at either a new rev 600 or adrenaline 600.more the adrenaline cause i'm not sold on the rev yet.but now i'm looking hard at a pro-x 700,i like my traditional sled style.i think it will be a challenge to perform simple underhood maintainance on the rev and firecat.besides what works on the track doesn't mean it will work on the trail.i ridehard but i'm not a sno-cross racer i don't ride on a race track so i don't need a sled built for a race track.as far a i'm concerned sleds are to expensive because of to much r&d . :hallo10:

·
Registered
120 Posts
One thing in the bad list for the F7 that you forgot. I read this in a magazine and asked a dealer and he said that it is true!
The F7's engine in noisey and vibrates like it is about to fly apart. Arctic Cat had this problem in the late 90's and the dealer cant figure out why they the problem still exists. The ZR900 does not even vibrate as much.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i am actually trying to sell my 1997 MXZ 670 to get the Firecat 700. I have been a die hard Doo fan for a very long time. But every time I see that Cat I like it more and more. I love my MXZ. It is very nice, fast, and has given me a lot of enjoyment. But it's time for a CHANGE!! :hallo5: :hallo1: :hallo10:

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Next season, or as early as this spring the Rev series will out sell all others, as anyone who rides one will want one, unless they are just plain stubborn. Ski- Doo will make a fortune on these.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Originally posted by Sharkey@Oct 18 2002, 07:47 PM
Next season, or as early as this spring the Rev series will out sell all others, as anyone who rides one will want one, unless they are just plain stubborn. Ski- Doo will make a fortune on these.
So sayeth Sharkey; Conqueror of foreign brands and profit of Doo
So shall it be written...So shall it be done

:0:

·
Registered
791 Posts
1st Firecat F7 140hp, 2nd Polaris Pro-x700 130hp, 3rd Rev 600HO 120hp. The Firecat with the narrow longer track is just easyer to turn even though you would not think so, but is very tippy when the skis leave the ground and sounds to be super aggressive and light. The Polaris has been tryed for many years, hard to fix what is not broken. and the Rev just looks like a chair and I think that tunnel in the rear is going to make it get stuck in the deep stuff, just not enough clearance to keep the track clear, but still haven't driven one to make honest decision. Just wait for some snow try them all out at a dealer and get what fits you, and are happy and impressed with. Just my 2cents !!!

·
Registered
387 Posts
State your bias: I bought a REV 800X

I think two things--

Reliability:
No sled is any good if its broke. So as mentioned above, the F7 is getting some rather late updates, so that means the updates are not tested. And EVERYTHING is new from the chassis to the engine, the seat, skid (f&r). Everything! It is an amazing piece of work but not tested. I do however hope it is trouble free sled!

On the other hand, the REV has been very well tested. SuperTrax or some mag put 4100 miles on prototype # …0004 and did not have a single problem. Very few changes between the proto and the shipping versions. Many tried and true parts are used in the REV, two majors, the engine and the rear skid are known to work well. I know there is gonna be some lemons, just hope I don’t get one!

Riding Style:
If you currently "ride the tank" -- REV

If you ride stretched out with your feet in the holds -- F7

JM2c

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
the firecat is still in an old chassis, the rev is what all sleds will be like within 5 years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I went and sat on a Rev for the first time.
It felt good.
Very easy to shift the weight around with little effort.

Not too keen on the wind shield or the bulky buttons, but I'm sure they all work very well, at least until my first 'incident'.

It's got everything I need, and I don't want to offend anybody, but it could be the ugliest snowmobile ever made, with the possible exception of the Yamaha Phazer.
I like the Firecat because it's look reminded me of the old '77 SRX I used to own. The REV definately has that 'leap forward' look.

At this point I've pretty much decided on the REV600, it certainly seems like the next step.
And come to think of it, I owned a Phazer, so what the hell...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was faced with the same decision and chose the Rev. I'm going with this sled after many years of riding Arctic Cat's. I actually still like the AC's and was really considering the F7 myslelf. What made me decide to go with the REV?

1) I have two young kids that ride with me from time to time. Nice 2-up
option with the Rev and it's still a sport sled and not a touring tank.
When you ride solo turn it back to a single seat. Real neat feature!
I'll give myslef ten more years and I may want a full dress tourer then.

2) Rer; Very cool reverse system! I think I will really like this feature!
I also think Ski-Doo has the best ski's in the business with the double
runner skis.

3) I sat on both the F7 and the Rev and the ergo's of the Rev seemed
Better for me. Even on the F7, your seating positon is forward more, but
the seat height is also lower than the Rev. For me the F7 didn't feel as
comfortable. I guess this would depend on your normal riding positon.
Others may feel the F7's ergo's are better.

4) Rotax has always made good engines and the 600HO will be a very
powerfull 600. The F7 EFI won't be no slouch either. For me my choice
wasn't all about speed. I just wanted an all around good trail sled and
the Rev fit the bill.

5) I liked the looks of both the F7 and the Rev, but the fit and finish of the
Rev just seemed much better to me. I was more impressed with the
dash setup and the controls on the Rev over the Firecat.
The F7 just looked like more like a racer and not as complete in
finish work compared to the Rev. I guess you have to sit on them both
and give your own opinion.

That's what I have to say! Hey, buy both the REV and the F7 and be happy and broke all at the same time!

·
Registered
978 Posts
At first I thought the rev was kinka ugly, but when I look out my kitchen window and see a 800 sport in the yard it kinda grows on you.
Talking about weight, my dealer should me a neet trick. I picked up the front end of my rev, then he sat on the seat and I picked it up again, and it felt the same! The way it pivots around itself, the way the rear suspention colapes is very cool.
I don't know anything about the F-7 except what I read in sled mags. I do know that they are doing very well on the grass drag curcuit. But I'm doo biased!!! :blahblah:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I vote For the REV. It's the best sled I have ever owned. I have owned over 10 different sleds from various manufacturers. :hallo1:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts