Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This is the year I buy a new sled. Something tells me I should wait until the groundbreaking sleds have broken ground, so to speak, but I want one now!

I was originally looking at a Firecat F7 but am now entertaining the thought of a rev 600.
The more research I do the harder the decision becomes.

any ideas?

:hallo09:

·
Registered
70 Posts
F7!!!!! :hallo1:

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm usually a Cat guy, and I'll probably take some flack for this, but if I were to buy one or the other right now, I'd go with the REV. :nervous:
They both are suppose to be a very aggressive trail sled, but from sitting on them both, I felt more comfortable on the REV. I'm 6'1" and felt like I was sitting way too low on the F'Cat. My knees were above my hips. That's a lot of travel your legs have to go through to stand up and sit down.
The only thing that concerns me with the REV would be the wind protection.
Just my $.02
SWRules

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have to admit, it is impossible to give an opinion on either sled, since they are both brand new and the public doesn't have any seat time on them. I went with the F7 because, 1) It is time to update my sled 2) I have been riding Cat my whole life with excellent results 3) I like the way it looks. 4) I like the power, weight, engine size, sled type and price range it has to offer.

What I would say to do is make a list of all the pro's and con's of each sled. Compare that list with what is most important to you in a sled. And then........flip a coin. :hallo8:

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
310 Posts
stover u sound JUST LIKE ME "oh ill wait till next year to get a new sled, there is probly gonna be recalls up the ### anyway" about 2mins later you catch a glimpse of a new sled "oh well, might as well get one". and you cant make up your mind either. hahahaha same as me.

anyways about the sled, im not exactly "brand loyal" but i PREFER doo over anything else. ive gotta doo and polaris. actually i was lookin at an F5 or F7 during the spring ordering, was going to get one, but decided not to. i liked the REV a bit better, didnt get one of those either, i actually went w/ the PRO X. See if you can get a test ride on both and see wut one u like better, or like mcali said, look at what u mostly want the sled to do for u, and go from there.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That was the same decision I was faced with this spring. The yammi rx1 was also in the running and if it had been lighter and EFI I would have went that route. I enjoyed my 98 Doo 670, and was thinking of going back to DOO, untill I saw the Firecat, I love my ZL 600 EFI and the Firecat 700 had everything I wanted, radical new look, plenty of horsepower, lighter weight, etc. It's a tough decision, after picking up my F7 and looking at a Rev at my dealer, I am glad I stayed with Cat, that beaver tail on the REV just didn't appeal to me. LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of your info,

There have been several factors that have got me all turned around.

I want a snowmobile that I can push hard. I am concerned about weight, suspension and cornering.
I don't want a lake sled.
I don't need a huge power plant.
I want a 'get me to the next corner and around it fast' kinda sled.
I am not brand specific, I am prepared to buy whatever fits my requirements.

Firecat good:
weight
like the feel/look/ergos
interested in their new 700 engine and positioning
like the suspensions
like their snowx experience of the last few years

Firecat bad:
they seem rushed to get this thing done
last minute changes
new engine and positioning
thinner track and possible cornering issues

Rev good:
everybody who has ridden this thing seems to think this is the cats meow (no pun intended)
very good reviews on cornering and performance, and the apparent snowcross foundation of the design.
like the new skis
So far I've never been disappointed by Ski-doo
I'm a short fella
good snowx results so far

Rev bad:
it's ugly
I already have bad knees from motocross
may not fit in my truck if it's actually 47" wide
it's expensive
the Ski-doo salesman calls me 'guy', I hate that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Go to this web site. He has a good review up on the F5 and has a Firecat owners forum. I am thinking of switching from time to time, but can't make up my mind. So I am going to run mine one more year. I like the F7 for the EFI. For trail use and saving some $$$ I would actualy go with the F5 instead. The Rev is nice but I like to ride lots of miles in a day and not sure how the Rev is going to be. The other big downfall of the Rev is the price. The FCs do sit weird, I will definently agree with that. You sit "in" them more then the ZRs. Wind protection and areos will be great for that reason but you will have to get used to that feeling. On the other hand, you would still have to get used to a different style riding position. Your body is more exposed and can effect the areos more.

Are they different dealers for each? If they are I would say go with the better dealer. Other then that flip a coin, they are both great sleds. So either I helped or I made it even worse. :doh: Either way you are going to have an awesome sled.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Did you see the Oct/Nov issue of Snow Tech? Their long term test sled section reviewed the 800 REV. Very impressive article. The sled had no problems in 4400 miles. It was a proto-type. They say the production models are better.

Good article in American Snowmobile on the f 5. Claimed it was the best ditch banger. Even better the REV. Was compared to a zr 600. Beat it hands down.

Wish I was in your position. Can only dream this year and ride my zl 500.

Where's the snow?????

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all yer info.

I haven't seen the American Snowmobile article, I'll have to look for it.

I went and sat on a Rev yesterday, for the first time.

Jeezus, they're ugly. It reminds me of the Yamaha Phazers, ick.
However, it was comfortable. I could shift the weight to the front or back of the sled by leaning on my toes or heels. It felt good.
But I can see ripping that little wind shield thingy off early in the 'getting to know you' stages. Along with all those fancy bulky buttons.
I just don't know.

I've also been reading about the noise and vibration of the F5's, the article mentioned something about cat having this problem in the past with other models.
Anybody got any ideas on that?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Here's my take.

1. Alot of Ski-Doo owners are crossing over to get a F7, so your not alone if your changing brands this year.

2. Some are switching over to the REV.

3. Looks and straight line performance seem to be formost on the minds of those who are switching to the F7. I would think price performance (for speed) would also be an issue as the F7 is faster for about $1000 less bucks.

The F7 is not as radical a change from the traditional snowmobile design. If your a bit more conservative, then the F7 would be the better bet. I think the REV will be a great sled however and don't want to discount it. I think the looks (although I'm not trying to discount the views of all the SKI-DOO owners who hate it) of the REV will grow on people and they will in time learn to like it.

I actually like the somewhat dare I say "retro" Star Wars kind of looks that the REV has. I'm a Star Wars fan and I think the thing looks like something from Star Wars, which to me is good. I also like the fit and finish of the REV. Both sleds are proven handlers on the Sno-Cross circuit. Any small flaws that exist in the early release of the F7's reported by owners seem to be very minor and are easy to fix, so the "new" issues I think will not be an issue. I've had good luck with the 3 Cat's I've owned (put almost 10,000 miles on three Cats in 4 years). (Those being a ZR600, a ThunderCat, a Z370 my first sled.)

All the modern day sleds are fairly reliable and it's hard to pick a "bad sled". It's almost a personal preference. I can say that for $1500 less than a REV800 price quote I picked up a F7 Standard which I'm very pleased with. The sound of the engine is much like the sound of an open MOD Sno-Pro with a 711 in it. There's is absolutely nothing wrong with getting a sled that is basically the equivalent of last years open Mod $12,000 sleds that were raced. Which is how I view any F7 I see. For the $7500 US out the door for a standard, it's a killer price deal.

That said, I can't really complain at all about the REV either. I'm excited about both sleds, but could only ride one. If your changing brands you may have to factor in the cost of buying matching clothing in your estimates of owning either one. I actually got a color scheme that I felt would look better with the new matching patriot clothing, so I bought a new jacket and helmet to match my sled anyway.

One last thought. Have you seen the Canadian version of the F7. It's a very sweet looking sled. I almost ordered a Canadian graphics package, but living in the States, hey I had to go with our flag over the Maple Leaf.

Okay I'm starting to ramble a bit now, time to stop. You almost can't make a wrong decision. If you buy either one you'll be happy. (Sounds to me like you'll be happier with the looks of the F7, but keep in mind sometimes we change our minds about new styles that grow on us. Have you seen all the color combinations of the REV?)

That's my 2 cents and a few extra.

Greg

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Skidoo insists that wind protection is just as good as on any sled. THey had this sled in the wind tunnel for a long time and you can bet thats not a problem.

I went with the Rev for 5 reasons.

1. Every arcticle that came out about the REV was possitve.

2. I like the look and practicality of the REV.

3. Fit and Finish is Great on this sled.

4. Engine options, 600HO with RER

5. Handling and performance. Ive driven the REV last year and couldnt belive it.

The looks of the Firecat in my opinion are horrible. Becasue of this I never even considered it. The REV looks neat in my opinion, Not as nice as the ZX or CK3 but it does look nice.

And as far as sales the FIRECAT and REV sold just about the same number of sleds so i dont think you can say people are hopping over to the firecat. I think its backwards if anything.

Besides Next year the NEW MACH Z will come out and beat the FIRECATS going backwards.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Besides Next year the NEW MACH Z will come out and beat the FIRECATS going backwards.

---
So when I'm passing them on the trail next year, the reason will be that they are going backwards. . . take it out of reverse guy. . . lol.

OR

They will feature an RER race and the firecat will lose when going backwards. . . since the firecats don't have reverse. . . :)

It's going to be a fun year.

-----

But seriously, both the REV's and the Firecats are going to be very cool and fun sleds this year. I can hardly wait for the snow to hit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts