Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any diagrams on how to put a mechanical reverse back together on a 2002 touring??

The yoke and pins were broken so i am replacing them.

I have the new parts and can get it back together but with i pull the reverse lever it wont engage the reverse. It sohuld pull the bottom gear towards the chaincase cover if i am correct? But all it is doing now is trying to push the gear in towards the bottom gear. what am i doing wrong??

any diagrams or suggestions would be awesome

thanks

·
Registered
2,560 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i can see how it fits on the diagram but cant get it to work.

trying to get part number 12 and 19 and 34 to all connect together and work?? any other ideas???

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Sorry, not following where you are getting into trouble. That fork pulls the outside gear towards the chain case cover, engaging the small idler above it.

I've never had that shaft/lever assy apart. Is it possible you have installed # 19 180 degrees off? Do you have the lever pointed towards the bellpan or the tunnel?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats what i cant figure out. When i hook up the lever to the yoke does it point towards the bottom of the belly pan, out towards the side of the machine, or back towards the chaincase??

also is the yoek flat against the inside of the chaincase cover when its re-installed?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Arm should be at about 4:00 when in forward, cover installed, fork engaged in lower outside gear, viewed from behind. Fork should NOT be against cover when installed. It needs to have room to move the outside lower gear towards the cover to engage reverse.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what positions should the arm be in then when its in reverse?

When you pull the reverse lever, it pushes the arm down...is that correct??

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Parts in shift linkage should all be under TENSION when shifting into reverse. There should be no pushing by any parts anywhere.

You did have that arm backwards, right? I'm going to guess it should be at about 1:00 or so in reverse - again looking at it while sitting in the seat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok ya i have the arm now so that its at 4 when in forward, but when you pull the reverse lever sitting on the machine it tries to move the arm towards 6 not 1. Which is a problem. So i must have something wrong there but it seems to be pretty straight forward, i didnt change that setup at all.

hmm this is really frustrating. I thought like you said that it should be up in the 1 postition to put the sled into reverse but the lever wants to put it into the 6 postion, which doesnt work.

do you ahve a polaris? could you send me a pick of how yours is hooked up??

sorry for being such a pain, like i said i have never worked on a reverse linkage before

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Sorry, the last of my sleds w/mech. reverse were sold a few weeks ago to make room for the new ones. I've been running on memory. Maybe somebody else wouldn't mind?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow good memory! Well thanks for your help this far.

IF anybody else out there has a sled with mechanical reverse can you please help me. Can you look and tell me when the reverse is engaged what position the arm on the crankcase is in. If it starts at around 4 on the clock.

Or send pics if you have a chance of it in forward and then in reverse.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have had that same problem last year with my buddy's XCR700. We got a used reverse kit from a dealer out in Barneveld, NY and couldnt get it to work. Well, put it this way, we tried to put it in reverse, it would grinded but wouldnt go any further. When I took the cover off, and manually place it in reverse - it would go but for some stupid reason, we couldnt get the arm level inside the cover to move the gear all the way out. Its too bad that the cover isnt clear to see inside so I can see whats binded up or at least to see whats the problem is. The reverse cover is brand spanky new.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so you never got it to work at all??? Well this was working but it was grinding before i took it apart so there must be a way to fix it or something i am doing wrong

thanks

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Have some patience. I have had a bunch of these, and thousands of trouble free miles using them.

WL - what the heck, why didn't you say something?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I guess the reason I didnt say anything because a buddy of mine was going to take it to the dealer and let them figure it out. Still to this date, he still didnt take it to the dealer so Im assuming he doesnt care anymore about getting it to work now. Money is the issue with him. WL.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've installed a lot of these starting with my 1990 650 Indy.

Here is a page from the instructions for an 02 700 XC/SP I did last year. I just found a photo of an 01 600 Classic I worked on this year

You know the fork must slide into the groove on the large bottom gear. Not on top of it or behind it.

Hope this helps.

In the past I've found if the gears grind and the linkage cannot adjust to eliminate the grinding, you typically need to replace the small gear.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see...well i am still going to hold out and hope that i can figure it out...and maybe someone else will have another idea.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I see...well i am still going to hold out and hope that i can figure it out...and maybe someone else will have another idea.[/b]
You don't have the mounting bolt and linkage bolts reversed do you?

That would push the fork in as you pulled the handle out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You don't have the mounting bolt and linkage bolts reversed do you?

That would push the fork in as you pulled the handle out.[/b]

no i dont think so.....my mounting bracket is different then the one in the pic you sent.....

·
Registered
577 Posts
O.K.

What I sent before was for an Edge Chassis. I pulled out a 2002 brochure and the Classic Touring that year were still GEN II.

Here are drawings of what I think your chaincase and linkage look like.

I have never worked on a GEN II . ( although it is similar to the others) From what I can see when I zoom in, P/N 18 appears to be splined and I assume engages a spline in the Shift Fork. The only place I can see a problem is if those are indexed wrong, or the shift fork is not engaged in the groove on the large gear. The linkage on this assembly appears to only go together one way except for the lower mounting holes on the bracket. Those holes should be determined by the location of where the top bracket lays on the chaincase.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts