Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got a 95 EXT with reverse, but it does not work right. When you shift into reverse, it makes an awful noise. It sounds like the track is spinning, but clicking somehow. Anybody know what could be wrong? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Common problem with the cat design.  It cannot take any abuse or the pressure clip in the chain case which holds the shift blocks will crack and or break. What you are hearing is the gear system not properly engaging.  Just happened to my 2000ZL. They showed me the parts.  I had bought the sled used.  Person before either tried to rock it out of a hole or did not come to a complete stop before shifting.  This is what fatigues and or break the pressure clip.  
Do not drive or move under power until you get it fixed. You may not have to replace all the gears and blocks. Mine was so badly damaged they had to replace everything including the chain. Fortunely, the shop repaired the sled for no cost   (in house warranty).
A side bar - I got the sled home and was going over it and found the chain tensioner loose.  Tried to adjust the chain.  Had to take it back. Had the shop baffled.  There are to different length chain bolt tensioners.  They had put the short one in by mistake.  
Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
79 Posts
One more piece to the story.  I was 35 miles out in the White Mountains of NH when the problem became apparent. I thought I was hearing ice fall off the tunnel and was getting jammed and busted up by the track.  I would go over a bump hot dogging it and all of sudden it felt like it was jumping out of gear. At that point the clip was only cracked. Fortunely I was able to limp back to the trailer doing 20 miles an hour.  Took it to the dealer and when I had off loaded it and was driving to the garage the whole system let go. Sounded like a gun shot.
As Paul Harey would say, "Well now that's the rest of the story."

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks hotshot. that gives me something to check into. Do you have any idea what the work you had done would have cost you?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Stopped by the shop yesterday and spoke with the mechanic.  Said the repair should take about an hour and parts would cost new around $100. - $120. depending on what is needed to be replaced.  Not as bad as I thought.  

·
Registered
269 Posts
Check your linkage adjustment.  Here is a gauge I made to check the adjustment on my 2001 ZL600 and 97 Cougar 550.  There is a plug you remove on the lower transmission case...insert gauge...pull reverse lever...when properly adjusted gauge should just come away from case slightly.

click gauge for a picture:
gauge

1 - 9 of 9 Posts