Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been calling and searching EVERYWHERE to find a reverse kit for a Polaris Edge 2000-2002 and they no longer exist period no one even has one from old stock. Does anyone know why a PERC kit wont work with these. The kits on eBay come with everything including the secondary clutch, wire harness, Oil Pump, CDI box, Tach and a new left hand control all made for a 600 XC SP 2003. What makes it so this kit wont work on my 600 VES XC SP 2000 edge?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Everything inside the mag housing.

Have some patience. I see the reverse kits on ebay pretty regularly. Forum swap meet areas are a good place to keep an eye on also.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'll second what michahicks said,reverse is nice but not worth all the work installing perc which may or may not work. The mechanical reverse is the way to go, very simple one new gear,chaincase, and related linkage. Worth waiting for. My two cents

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I'll second what michahicks said,reverse is nice but not worth all the work installing perc which may or may not work. The mechanical reverse is the way to go, very simple one new gear,chaincase, and related linkage. Worth waiting for. My two cents[/b]
If you have an 03 then PERC really is the ONLY way to go. The Install is a breeze, it comes with a roller clutch, and there's no weight penalty or mechanical components.

If I had an 02 or older, I'd live without reverse rather than have mechanical reverse.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just found on eBay a Perc kit for an 01-02 600 it claims all you need is to buy a different fllywheel? eBay item number 280153571596 would this really work?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I could be wrong about needing the internals, but I have to wonder why one would need a new flywheel and not neet stators to match. Anyway, ask them. See what they've got to say?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much, I e-mailed him and is waiting his response, Any idea if they are the correct gears for a 600 (25/41)? Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
The 41 is a good one. The 25 might be a bit too much. Not sure what you have in there for a top gear now, but that one may be a better choice. Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Perc reverses the engine.....thats why you get a bog when you engage it.....you can't reverse the 02 and earlier engines, so you HAVE to go with the mechanical reverse kit! Search the forums you can find the correct gear/chain ratio for your 600

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am disabled (back & Hip & knee) So I can't pick a sled up to turn it around so reverse is a must have.[/b]

reverse helps off the trailer but thats about it... otherwise it just digs holes... its not really going to help you that much getting unstuck..

and anyone that says that kit is too expensive its nuts... its a whole differnt chaincase... its not just the parts inside... its the cover the back part and the gears chains and handles plus that spacer...

If you really want to you could buy all of the parts individually... and spend a small fortune.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
believe it or not I found one local for $180.00 (used) Does anyone have a diagram on how this goes together? Do I use my original chain or will I have to buy a new one? Thanks aging for everyone help! Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
believe it or not I found one local for $180.00 (used) Does anyone have a diagram on how this goes together? Do I use my original chain or will I have to buy a new one? Thanks aging for everyone help! Mike[/b]

I should have a diagram somewhere... Ill look today and try to get one posted up by tonite.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can somebody explain to me why you cannot put PERC on a 2002 Edge X 600, other than not having a multdirectional oil pump? Why cant you reverse the 2002 engines?

Thanks

Anxiously waiting replys!

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
It's been done. The oil pump comes in the kit, so it's not a limiting factor. I know the flywheel must be changed, not sure of the stator coils.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
It's been done. The oil pump comes in the kit, so it's not a limiting factor. I know the flywheel must be changed, not sure of the stator coils.[/b]
The oil pump doesn't come with the kit for the 03's, and I wasn't aware of a kit for the 02's. Not to say that it can't be done, I'd just think that you'd need to piece together a kit yourself.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
My bad on the pump, but that's what I meant. You'd have to come up with your own list of parts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 700's and 800's of 03 had the multidirectional oil pump, however the 600's and lower did not! The person on ebay that I purchased my kit from( for an 03 Edge XC SP 700) said that he includes the oil pump in his 600 kits for 03's and that he has installed some on some 02's! He made no mention of changing the flywheel or stators but after reading here it sounds like this needs to be done on the 02's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Update: Just installed a PERC for an 03 600 XC on my buddies 02 600 X. Did not need to change the flywheel.(seems to run just fine in both directions) Had to make some very minor harness changes because the 02 is routed different than the 03 but other than that it was pretty easy!

1- Voltage regulator: Cut the 2 brown wires from the harness and install a ring terminal and connect the same way the 02 harness was.

2- CDI harness: Need to extend all leads and run them across the top of the airbox.

3- Plugs that connect to hood harness: Cut and reconnect wires so they match plug to plug. (the plugs obviously don't line up because the ends are different and hang over each other.

4- Low oil light: Had to extend these two wires to reach the connection under the tank.

Got this kit on Ebay for $224.00 Came with everything including the new oil pump. Well worth the effort!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts