Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys....I have sno checked the sled now am getting ready to get new gear.  The last time I bought new gear was 5 years ago.  I bought heavy weight insulation & have been sweating my junk off ever since. I like what FXR has to offer but don't know anyone who wears their garb. What works for you?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
when i am going for a long trail ride i wear just the norm snow suit with full face helmet, but when i go out for a joy ride with the guys i wear a pair of fox moto x pants with my jogging pants underneath so i can move, fox moto x gloves, fleecy sweater with a fox jersey over it and a light weight sno x helmet with oakley goggles and ocassionally my chest protector if im feeling really crazy. i really like the fox pants they are great for riding sled as well as bike. and on some of the more mild days i even wear a pair of hiking boots rather than the the bulky sorels.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you want to look cool & be comfortable none better than Oakleys stuff.Yes the company that makes sunglasses makes awsome gear for winter.I have this jacket in gray.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I  would  not  be  afraid  to  recommed  Reima  to  anyone  I   got  a  jacket  and  bibs  for  last  winter  and  they  worked  great  kept  me  warm  and  dry.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I bought a Choko jacket last winter (see my pics in this very forum) Choko makes excellent stuff, great for Canadian cold. Not sure if they distribute much to the US though.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
actually guys i never said what kind of snow suit i wear i have a colombia and a cold wave jacket, i perfer the cold wave and i have Ski doo pants and they are great also, i had choko a few years ago and they were really warm too, i think if you go with anything with a so called brand name you are going to get a good quality and warm suit.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use a Klim Mountain Parka and bibs, with fleece layered under.  Windproof and wet proof.  I agree that it is tough to go wrong with any major brand name.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I have the Ski-doo jacket in this pic & pants. This particular jacket was the 2nd from the top & I think the pants were TOTL. Usually I just wear a T shirt & sweat pants. If it's really cold (northern Ontario), I'll add long johns & a sweat shirt.

A co-worker bought a Reima jacket last year & liked it. He might be able to ride w/o it this winter as it's likely his RX-1 won't go fast enough for him to get too cold

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
i bought a klim suit last year and was surprised at how well this suit works,i rode in pouring rain and stayed nice and dry,a lot of people complain about the price,but if you want quality you have to pay and also they have the best warranty on the market.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I personally will only buy snowboard gear, I have a Dub Brand jacket and pants that are waterproof to 20,000mm.  Which means that a water bead would have to be 1/20,000 of a millimeter to penetrate the outside.  All seams are fully taped and has removable fleece liners.  As far and gloves and boots, I have Drop gloves that are also water proof to 20,000mm and have down in them, and I where Forum snowboard boots which are killer for comfort and warmth....But to each his own.  I guess I'm biasis since I've snowboarded longer than rode sleds!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a Cat leather suit and love it. On the 30+ degree days it gets a little hot and I have to unzip it to get some cool air in. When its cold out it works awesome at keeping me warm.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
m10rules,have you ever tried a gortex suit?i was hooked on leather for years until i finally broke down and tried a klim suit,complete comfort at all temps and conditions,hopefully you can try one on for a ride one day..

·
Registered
483 Posts
It depends on the weather, but I dress in layers. On the outside it is Gore-tex bibs, lined if real cold, unlined ones if not too bad. The insulated ones I bought are from Cabela's, but made by Reima. The uninsulated are also made by Cabela's.For my jacket I have a Cat coat with zip out liner, also a Cat Gore-tex pullover, which I prefer, no insulation, but I tend to sweat buckets when I ride. The only problem is I just bought a Tek-vest, so I have to buy a size larger Gore-tex pullover, need a little more room to move around in

·
Registered
138 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">m10rules,have you ever tried a gortex suit?i was hooked on leather for years until i finally broke down and tried a klim suit,complete comfort at all temps and conditions,hopefully you can try one on for a ride one day..[/b][/quote]

I bought the suit for 1/2 of about 2 years ago. Won't even bother looking for another suit till I need one. I have only had to cool off once with it.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
dress in layers. no cotton near the skin! any brand outer with gore-tex if you can afford it is best, before any manufacturer that puts the gore-tex name on it,they have to go through some pretty tough testing before they get approval.and personally I like polartech(fleece) in the middle with polypropylene next to the skin.when buying fleece demand the polartech brand,they treat their employees with the most respect and paid them for months after a fire burned the factory to the ground, until the rebuild.and it's made in the u.s.a. for us americans.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i use all coldwave stuff, coldwave pants, coldwave xtreme jacket, xtreme gloves, and a HJC CLX 4 helmet.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bought a goretex jacket and bibs from cabela's years ago, I switched from a 98 MXZ 670 to Cat  a year later and was glad I wasn't tied to a certain manufacturer's clothing, Now with the Firecat coming, I am looking into a Cat mx helmet and oakley goggles..

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Hey Crazy2strokes,
  You may want to re think buying a open face mx helmet. They are a tad lighter but alot less ridable for anything othere than a track. I've tried them and my face froze. It was a $279 Cat one BTW
Caleb

·
Registered
752 Posts
My wife and I used to wear those cheap Canadain Tire suits ( you know the ones) till one winter we were in Gogama over night and rode to Mattachawan in -40C , it was cold. My wifes sled froze up on the way to Elk Lake. She almost froze to death by the time I towed her to Elk Lake. We promptly went out and bought Choko Adventurer Siuts and deluxe pants. We have never been cold since , actually they get a bit hot on warm days. They are pricey but well worth the money in my opinion.

There are lots of good suits out there now adays it's all a matter of taste and preference, you get what you pay for !

·
Registered
27 Posts

Arctic Cat Factory racing pullover and gore-tex Arctic factory race pants!!! I know the pullover may be thin but the heat does not go through it!!! The pants are very warm and light!
 One problem is you have to be a factory racer to get them. hehe Good I am

1 - 20 of 24 Posts