Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,
i'm quite an avid sledder, and i've recently bought a '06 RMK 600 with a 144" track. i've riden mountains quite a bit on smaller sleds, but i was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips to improve my hillclimbing and powder riding? more specifically how to turn around on a steep slope once i've climbed it. Any imput or experience would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Counter steer is your friend when sidehilling or turning in the powder. Lean the direction you want to turn, turn the skis the opposite; the ski on the side you are turning to will act as a rudder and pull you opposite the way you are turning the bars. Practicing in a meadow or flat area in the powder will get you the skill. Expect to fall off a few times!

Adding a taller riser on the sled will also help; even 2" will give you more leverage to pull the sled in the direction you want to go. Some guys delete the rider select steering for more precise steering as well.

For the harder snow and trails, going to a different spindle (2008 Polaris or Holtz) will make a night and day difference in the way the sled turns on the trails.

You will probably find the sled runs hot as well; on the 2006, there's a nosecone radiator that is suipposed to help in cooling. The coolant goes from the engine to the radiator, then back to the engine. Some goes to the rear heat exchangers, but enough circulates from the engine to the radiator that it gets reheated, especially if you aren't flowing a lot of air through the radiator. My 2008 600 was running about 124 degrees F, the 2006 was 160+ in the same snow conditions. There's a radiator delete kit that eliminates the recirculation and will keep your sled nice and cool. Adding ice scratchers will help as well.

Nice sled, I like mine a lot. Choke it, one pull of the rope, it's running. The only issue I had on that sled this past season was one burned belt when my son was trying to creep through some deep stuff and got stuck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
NO one gives more detailed answers then BC!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts