Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have little kids in your life now? Where do you go to ride with them? And how do you get them around. I would like to take my kids along once and a while. One is 5 and one is 3. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
124 Posts
sit them infront of you, and steer around them.
other than that, i saw this sled sort of thing that this guy was pulling behind his snowmobile in yellowstone.  it had 4 skis, and had a vinal top to it. realy cool looking. ofcourse, you cant hotdog it if you have something like that.

- jason

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
If you put the kids in front of you, you better make sure you are going slow and on smooth ground. I saw my little cousin almost break her top jaw on some handlebars when my uncle hit a bump he didn't see. Not a good scene.
       Safest and probably most comfortable place for kids on a longer ride is in a sleigh or cutter behind the sled. there are lots of them around.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Have a 3 and 1 yr old which I plan to take with us in the next year or so.  Am looking at a 2-up sled (for my wife to drive, of course) or Polaris has an awesome enclosed sleigh that holds to people, with seat belts and suspension.  Saw it at the Milwaukee show this year and was really impressed...think it was about $1800.00...it really seemed like the way to go.  Of course my 3 yr old sits on my ZR & calls it his, so I might be the one riding in the sleigh  

He makes me so proud!

·
Registered
357 Posts
My five year old sits in front of me, with his full face childs helmet snugly fitting.  

I saw a group of seven sleds my last time out and each sled had a toddler in front of the driver.  All had helmets.  No one should be on a sled without a helmet.

I also saw some idiot with his family and one kid with a Z120 on the groomed trail.  Stupid, Stupid Stupid.  An 8 mph kid sled has no place on the groomed trails.

·
Registered
308 Posts
my on personal opinion about kids on a sled is they should not be on the groomed trails  would you let your kids sit on your lap while you are driving on the highway?  I only took my childern in the fields around the house and if on a trail it was not a main trail.   it is not you or your actions that would normaly hurt them it is the 1 idiot who rides with total disrepect of the other riders.
remember how invinible you were at different ages in your life. That is how the other rider feels when he coming at you over a hill in the middle of the trail or the inside of a turn.  It takes maturity and experience  to learn how to be safe.   They are your kids  they do not realize any danger you have to realize it for them.     have fun  ride safe and above all enjoy those little ones    

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm just a fanatical about my childs safety as the next guy.  I guess I should have also stated that my son usually rides around the field with me. And only on slow days will ride with me and my wife on the groomed trail.  I let most sleds pass, and the benefit of our southern trails in they are 80% corn fields, so you can see most sleds coming.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
i'm to the point now with my son where i think it is even more dangerous then riding with me on the sled. he and his buddies are always jockeying for pecking order on the trail, when one of them pulls up to a road they are all up there side by side and they all have to try to fit into a trail 3 abreast that is wide enough for one sled. that's why you will hear about me out riding with up to 6 teenagers, i guess i can only hope they take in what i get onto them about safe common sense.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
When my three year old rides with me it is in front but he has a proper full face helmet and i have a proper harness that secures him to me.I make sure i'm the 4 or 5 sled in line to be on the safe side.If half of these dinks didn't ride like complete
morons then we wouldn't have to worry about being smoked
on every corner.Sledding is a great sport for the hole family and it sure beats watching tv and eating chips all winter.If someone is riding the trail system like a idiot let them know cause i make sure i do.There is no excuse for it

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Guys, my sister in law is really paranoid about things when they are out with the little guy. Always have a few "blockers" and him.

The last couple of years I've spent a lot of time pointing to their side of the trail or tapping my helmet.

Three or four years ago on the last weekend of the season, I'm riding along at trail speed, north of the Paudash clubhouse, just south of Hwy. 121. I come over a knoll and there are 3 sleds parked side by side facing me. I had no problem getting stopped. When I did get stopped, I put both my arms in the air as if to say,"Where do I go?" The guy that was sitting in my lane, was riding a Bravo or Citation LS, with a little kid in front of him.

He starts up the machine and pulls over to the northbound lane. When he had cleared my lane, he sort of waved his arm and bowed,  "Your way is clear my liege." A rode by tapping my helmet. "The nephew watches PB &J, I guess they're always singing a song about using your noodle. Too bad a few more out there wouldn't use their noodle.

If I had been speeding, I probably would have hit one of the sleds.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Mr. and Mrs. mxz7  We take our daughter along late season when there are less people out.This pic is from last year.No pics of us together this year,she is pregnant,and didn't ride.

·
Registered
546 Posts
JLS, buy a ski-boose it is the safest way to go. they are like a little trailer with skies that hook on to the rear lift bar on your skidoo.
i'll see if i can find you a web site for them.

·
Registered
546 Posts
ok, just type in ski boose into your search engine and you will find all kind of information on them

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
mxz7,
 looks to me like you know how to pick a great woman, but for laurie's pick ?? LOL  

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Please remember not to have little ones on sleds untill at least 3yrs of age. The spinal cord can break away from the brain a.k.a shaken baby syndrome.Even going slow the initial jerk of the machine can disconnect the spinal cord from the brain.I too am a mom and checked this out before I let my kids ride. One is 10 the other 4.And ALWAYS have them wear a helmet.We dont take the kids for rides on Saturday or Sunday.I dont make the rides too long either, they get cold and bored easily.Stop often and point out different animals and trees, rocks etc.Bring a snack as they will get hungry.Granola bars or fruit roll ups are good too.The gade has the deep powder loop on the handlebars my 4yr old holds on to that works great.Just a few thimgs that we doo. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The first thing my son got was a proper snowmobile suit and
helmet.We normally stick to a few back trails that are seldom travelled.Having a trail side lunch and just getting out in the
unspoiled wilderness is half the fun.I did notice alot of families
riding in the buckhorn/bobcaygeon area this winter ladyk and it was a nice change to see

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
LadyK, you sound just like a mother (bless your soul). My wife makes sure I have our 3 year old bundled up and has her helmet (childrens helmet) on before we leave. We never go more than 8-10 miles and its usually in fields but I still have to take snacks and something to drink for her. I would definetly say don't trail ride with young kids on weekends try to do it on slower days during the week if possible.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My daughter started riding with me at 1 year old.  She is now 11 and I have a 94 Indy Trail 2 up that she loves to drive.  The only time she drives by her self is out by our lake cabin on the lake.  When her and I ride together I sit in back and she drives me any place she wants to go.  She calls the Trail Indy her sled.  She drove my 700 RMK 2 weeks ago with me on the back and loved it.  Now she thinks that should be her sled.  She makes a good riding partner.  Riley

1 - 20 of 20 Posts