Snowmobile World banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my last trip the right handwarmer on my 05 Gade quit working. The left one and the thumb warmer both work great. Could someone give me a breakdown on how the wiring works, I tried to test the resistance but for some reason I get nothing on the good and the bad one?? The other thing that confuses me is that there are two main groups of wires heading into the left grips, I unplugged the harness that looks to control the heating elements but it still is working, the other looks to control the rev/e start.

I do have a manual and did test the wires listed in the manual at the harness plug, I believe it was black/orange and black, orange/purple for high. I have some knowledge of how to use a multimeter but may be doing something wrong as well.

I look forward to any info that someone might have.
Thanks J

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Jason,

On the Rev series the majority of handwarmer failures happen to be on the right hand grip due to the continual movement of your hand to manipulate the throttle flipper. What happens is the entire grip rotates a little backwards and forwards severing the wires where they exit the grip and enter the throttle block. Sometimes they short together there before breaking. Just look for cracks or a deformed insulator right at the intersection of the grip and throttle block.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jason,

On the Rev series the majority of handwarmer failures happen to be on the right hand grip due to the continual movement of your hand to manipulate the throttle flipper. What happens is the entire grip rotates a little backwards and forwards severing the wires where they exit the grip and enter the throttle block. Sometimes they short together there before breaking. Just look for cracks or a deformed insulator right at the intersection of the grip and throttle block.[/b]
Thanks TD
I haven't even taken the whole assembly apart yet but I will check that out. Do you happen to know what wires I would use on the left side(the working one) to check the resistance as a baseline for the right?

Yep Paul I have a multimeter its just the readings I got were not consistant anywhere on the working or non working areas. I was in a hurry though and need to spend some more time on it.

Thanks J

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Jason,

On the Rev series the majority of handwarmer failures happen to be on the right hand grip due to the continual movement of your hand to manipulate the throttle flipper. What happens is the entire grip rotates a little backwards and forwards severing the wires where they exit the grip and enter the throttle block. Sometimes they short together there before breaking. Just look for cracks or a deformed insulator right at the intersection of the grip and throttle block.[/b]
Not to dispute you TD, but Ive mainly heard about the left ones being bad. The left one is shot on my MXZ and the left one on the GTX started acting up on the last trip, either high or low was out on it, cant remember. I am considering getting some aftermarket ones to use. All kinds of people over on the other site having problems with handwarmers.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Paul: I would refer to your item as a test light. It shows you have power in that circuit when the light in the handle is 'on' and the clip is attached to ground or common. This test light is good for testing wires and switches.

JasonF: I am including a wiring diagram for your hand and thumb warmers. I'm sure once you get down to the warmers that you will see exactly what Thumbdoctor is talking about. With you multimeter, you should be able to measure the resistance of each heating element ( low and high, each side too) from the plug referred to in the picture.

Please let us know what you find as we will be going through the same grief soon.
Good Luck.
John.

[attachment=41843:2005_han..._warmers.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Paul: I would refer to your item as a test light.[/b]
much better description. we're going to keep you around here, not just for your good looks but your brains.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Jason I goofed , on the other site I refered you to the brake side(I was standing in front of the sled :undercover: lol). But the same for that side too there's just not enough support there for the wires like TD said . Thats probaly where you problem is. Also remember if you adjust your flipper block there's only so much slack there in the wire. When I put my grips back on I left a little more slack between the block and grip for adjustments. I hope mine are ok now , I did alot of twisting with the loose grip issue, now there permatexed in place(I hope)they still worked when I tore it down. Guess I should go and finish things up and test them.

mutt

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got a test light too Paul, its just I just finished up with some classes in electrical mathematics (basically analysing electrical circuits) and wanted to try out my new found knowledge :tongue:

Anyways just got back in from the garage and everyone was right, it was shorted in the handwarmer itself. The low did have proper resistance, or close to, but the high was dead. I guess I never did try the low on the trail when I noticed it not working. I thought that maybe the short would be in a spot I could fix it but no luck. I popped the old one off so Monday its of the Reinbolds or Nordride to see if I can find one in stock.

Rick, I'm going to reenforce the new wire somehow, I did move my controls one time a long time ago and I think I had too much slack in the wire so my glove may have been hitting it.

One more question for any electrical people out there. When I tested the resistance on both handwarmers the good side the low setting was 20ohms and the high was 10ohms, the low setting on the bad one tested at 20 ohms as well. I was just curious if it means anything that the manual states that the high end of each should be approx 4-5 ohms lower than I tested?

Thanks J

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Got a test light too Paul, its just I just finished up with some classes in electrical mathematics (basically analysing electrical circuits) and wanted to try out my new found knowledge :tongue:

Rick, I'm going to reenforce the new wire somehow, I did move my controls one time a long time ago and I think I had too much slack in the wire so my glove may have been hitting it.

Is'nt funny when you learn something you want to go try it ? lol I dont mean alot of slack , just enough so it does'nt get caught on those grooves on the throttle block when its moved . I think ill be putting a dap of permatex right there to help support that spot . I need to get all the wiring hooked up and tuck in and run the sled to make sure they work before i do it though. I just glued the grips on thursday and wanted it to cure good before I ran the heaters. I think tomarrow will be my day in the man cave , just felt lazy today.
Another thought.. maybe just a rubberband wrapped around the bar right there to hold the wire still at the grip.

rick

·
Registered
2,782 Posts

Anyways just got back in from the garage and everyone was right, it was shorted in the handwarmer itself. The low did have proper resistance, or close to, but the high was dead. I guess I never did try the low on the trail when I noticed it not working. I thought that maybe the short would be in a spot I could fix it but no luck. I popped the old one off so Monday its of the Reinbolds or Nordride to see if I can find one in stock.

One more question for any electrical people out there. When I tested the resistance on both handwarmers the good side the low setting was 20ohms and the high was 10ohms, the low setting on the bad one tested at 20 ohms as well. I was just curious if it means anything that the manual states that the high end of each should be approx 4-5 ohms lower than I tested?

Thanks J[/b]
Jason,

The grip temperature will affect the resistance reading and the colder it is the higher the resistance. If your stuck without finding a warmer, PM me I have lots of brand new spares and I can send you one Pronto.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jason,

The grip temperature will affect the resistance reading and the colder it is the higher the resistance. If your stuck without finding a warmer, PM me I have lots of brand new spares and I can send you one Pronto.[/b]
Thanks for the offer TD but even if I have to order one it would be here by Wed or Thurs. Good call on the room temp, now that you said it I remember the manual saying that the readings should be taken at 70degrees f and my garage was maybe around 60. :wink:

Thanks again everyone
Jason

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jason,

On the Rev series the majority of handwarmer failures happen to be on the right hand grip due to the continual movement of your hand to manipulate the throttle flipper. What happens is the entire grip rotates a little backwards and forwards severing the wires where they exit the grip and enter the throttle block. Sometimes they short together there before breaking. Just look for cracks or a deformed insulator right at the intersection of the grip and throttle block.
If that happens and you are left with just three wires, how are you supposed to get into the grip to plug them back in? Does the plastic sleeve inside the grip come out?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts