Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,
Im writing this to get some backround information on the problem my friend is having with his 01 700 rmk. He was riding through the woods when all of the sudden the belt broke followed by a whish-whish (wires being sucked in to clutch no doubt) noise and then the ski died.

Upon inspection, it looks like entire harness that runs under the clutch side of the motor actually got sucked into the clutch and was ripped apart. The speedo cable was also caught in the mess and is totally destroyed. I have never worked on a snowmobile but I am experienced with sea-doos (i own a 96XP 800cc) and automotives. It looks to me like the engine is fine, only thing that worries me is the oil line was ripped off the case during this disaster (see pics). As far as I can tell, I should be able to get it running with a speedo cable, new harness and new belt.

Which leads me to my next question, the ski has been modded by the previous owner. It looks to have a high compression head, twin pipes, v-force reeds, carbs, longer track and more aggressive suspension components. Who knows what was done to the motor, though it looks like it was rebuilt at some point. He as been blowing through belts all season, so obviously the ski has more power than the clutch system can handle. Is there a good source for upgraded belts? Also, I think he should upgrade the clutch to handle the power. Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket clutch to handle more power than stock?

I've pulled as much wire out as I can but at this point I am going to have to pull the clutch. What is the best way to do this? Will I need a flywheel puller to get the engine side of the clutch off? Or does it just slip off when I take the thing apart? Any tips, recommendations, etc are greatly appreciated this is my first time working on a ski. Thanks!

updates to come.

Under the hood:

Notice harness that was pulled (directly under pull cord):

The mess in the clutch:

thanks again, I hope to be able to help my friend out.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
ya need a special clutch puller designed for polaris clutches. the polaris clutch is fine for that hp. check the motor mounts and clutch alignment if hes blowing belts.

·
Registered
644 Posts
BTDT, but I had the speedo cable come loose at the speedo and dropped in instead.

The most serious concern in this situation is the crank seal. It is very possible that the seal has been damaged which can bring on much worse troubles if that's the case. You do, for sure, want to pull that clutch and inspect it everything behind. Polaris or Erlandson have the right tool to pull the clutch.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Ditto the above, especially the remark about the motor mount. Look at the left front closely by attempting to lift the motor a little. Look for movement in that area. Clutch pullers are very reasonable, just know that there are different Polaris pullers available, make sure you get the right one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts