Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that the oem skid plate is design not to be rivoted on, that you should buy the instalation kit.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
You can use skidoo body panel rivots they are yellow or black. I ride aggressive and found that rivots wont hold it on for me, so i now use bolt nut and lock washer. For the price of the kit its not worth it .

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
There are two ways you can install the OEM skidplate. You can buy the "panick" kit, which consists of a set of bolts and washers, or you can use the large diameter rivets (alot cheaper) if you aren't going to be taking your skidplate on and off. I riveted mine on. It's holding just fine. I bought rivets from SkiDoo, and they came with painted heads (yellow) so they don't stick out against my skidplate and belly pan (both yellow).

Oh yeah...I should mention that I also put washers on the other side of the belly pan so the rivet squeezes against the washer, not the plastic of the belly pan (on the inside)

Last edited by Rocketman at Oct 6 2002, 02:17 PM

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Originally posted by permafrost@Oct 6 2002, 02:06 PM
You can use skidoo body panel rivots they are yellow or black. I ride aggressive and found that rivots wont hold it on for me, so i now use bolt nut and lock washer. For the price of the kit its not worth it .
Permafrost...you're breaking rivets off? What are you hitting man?

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Both my buddy and I kept blowing out rivots. Prolly from dooin jumps day in and day out :D

Attachments

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Did you put washers on the inside of the belly pan? See my edit in my first reply

·
Registered
664 Posts
My buddy had that problem last season also, It probably is from jumping. He just got some bigger rivets.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Mine's been through alot, and I've had no trouble at all. Not even a loose rivet. They are all just as tight as the first day I put them on.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've had rivets pull out if I've been in wet heavy snow. It build's up between the skid plate and belly pan, freezes, expands and pushes against the plate, pulling rivets thru the plastic, usually damaging it. I found if I use large backing washers I don't have that problem.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Rocketman and bobber the washer idea sounds like it will doo the trick. When I goto PDI the gade next week I am gonna try it :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I rivoted mine on, I put the front rivots off to the side a bit and not right under the front bumper. It seemed to fit tighter there for better rivot. I put three rivots underneath. I didnt buy the kit. I hope it holds.

·
Registered
935 Posts
You need the washers on the inside to prevent the rivots from pulling. No question about that....Also use stainless steel only. Aluminum will break or corrode easily.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i ####ing hate rivets, there a pain in the ###, i like the nut and bolt myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts