Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode the 800X tonight! W-O-W :D :inlove:

Come on – riding sleds in CNY on November 2nd… amazing!

I took the 800X up to Constableville there was plenty of snow, much, much better than the “normal” first ride. We did 40 miles in a very short time, wish we went up earlier… It was totally unplanned I was wearing Nikes and a borrowed helmet and coat…

the REV is fantastic… there is no doubt in my mind that every OEM will have a “rev style” sled very soon. It is that much better.

The 800X is deceptively fast and smooth. As you have already read elsewhere, it does take 30 minutes or so to get used to it, and probably much longer than that to become an expert. The leaning up-and-out (aka: the “new-style”) as opposed to down-and-back (aka: the “old-style”) takes some time to get used too, and if you forget you can get into trouble… I went off a corner because I leaned back and down… I’m sure I won’t do that again… and I would recommend everyone be very careful on the first few rides, it is that different. Back to the deceptively fast, much of the time I was doing 80 and would have thought I was going 45!

The suspension “seems” stiff, but it rides like a dream. When you get on the REV the suspension barely moves, when I jumped on my Buddies Edge X the suspension sprung up and down, very, very different. I was trying to find rough stuff just to try out the REVs suspension (that is something I have never done b4, look for the crap…) it handled everything I could find and never missed a beat, it flies pretty well too, I was getting air and I am normally not into “getting air”- it just seemed so natural on the REV - or maybe I just watched the SD promo video too many times…

The analog gauges are useless, I am coming off a Viper and the digital speedometer is fantastic. Because the REV has an electronic spedo & tach, I am sure either SD or an after market manufacturer could make a digital to replace the stock gauges. After 50 the odometer changes to a digital speedometer – BFD you can’t read it anyway! The guys with the Firecats or RX-1’s are going to be in for a pleasant treat with the Digis!

RER is pretty cool, you have to warm up the engine though otherwise you press the button, the engine slows down… and never restarts. When it is warm there is no problem.

I cannot say if A-Arms and precision skis are any better than anything else yet. I will need more time in the saddle and in “real” winter conditions. The sled did seem to dart a bit, but I will make no judgments considering the conditions and my inexperience… stay tuned.

Surprisingly the sled is very warm, it was a 24 degrees, but even with the small REV windshield, it had more wind protection than my buddies ’02 Edge X. The “wings” mounted on the cowl to protect your knees from the wind work very well!

The machine was running real rich, I still have oil in the tank, etc. And it was putting out a lot of smoke. So I am assuming performance will get even better from here on out!

I will see how much gas I used and see what the first mileage readings are. Not expecting it to be very good- based on what I have read.

Handle bar hooks are a nice addition.

The hand warmers seemed to take a real long time to get hot, but they did get so hot I had to turn them off (I wear very thin gloves)

The controls, lighted and located on the handlebar are superb! once I remember if the thumb or hand switch is on top, I will never have to look down again.

Electric start is super! The push button makes it cool.

Fatigue? I get the feeling I could ride this thing 300 miles without a problem!

If I really crouched up to the tank, my knees did hit the cowl (6’-1”) . I think after some time I will learn the limits and it won’t be a problem.

Brake is every bit as good as the Viper, all you need is one finger, and its silent! When you’re riding the sled all you can hear is the whirr of the engine and the wind. No chain case noise, brake noise, none of it! Very impressed, the Viper had a loud jackshaft or chain case noise – very annoying.

My first impressions? 9 out of 10 but I know I am going to like it even more the more I ride it.

Hope I didn’t bore you, I don’t get excited over much – the REV got me excited! When are we going again?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sound like everything I was hoping it would be!

I'm glad your loving the sled,...I'm glad SKI-DOO was the first to come out with this design.

ENJOY it for me since I can't afford one YET ;)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
glad to hear you enjoyed it :p how did the clutching feel?does it backshift good?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I cant belive i missed this post.

That is exactly how I think the Rev rides.

It is the future.

I agree with everything except the digital gauges. Analog is the only way to go for the real rider. :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
I agree totally. Best ride I ever had. THIS IS THE FUTURE :D :D

·
Registered
858 Posts
I'm glad your loving the sled,...I'm glad SKI-DOO was the first to come out with this design.ENJOY it for me since I can't afford one YET

I too can't afford one but i have the next best thing, I converted my MXZ into a Rev. I've lifted the seat 5" and pushed it foreward 6". Feels actually better than the Rev cause I can rest my feets in front, dont have to curl them back. Now if I could only have that A arm...

·
Registered
376 Posts
I drove the rev tonite for the first time,,,,,,,,very impressed, this will probaly be my next sled.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
you beat me to one..grrrrrrr :p now ill have to talk you into trading in come april :devil:

·
Registered
160 Posts
My REV handles great the liitle bit that I have driven it :) :inlove: ! I can't wait for some good snow so I can go for a long ride.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Yup. I love the feel of hoping on and riding like a dirtbike or atv. It makes it very fun to bomb around a feild or aggressive trail.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Machzzzz1, what made you go with the 600ho instead of the 800, just curious since your use to machz power.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Originally posted by PANTERAONE@Nov 26 2002, 07:22 AM
now ill have to talk you into trading in come april :devil:
pantera, if u try one you will want to trade in your old beater. lol

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
lol my old beater still has some beating left in it :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts