Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't say the web-site, but there is a posting by  BAYSVILLE-SNOPRO who just got back from riding the RX-1 in Timmins.  He is a cat rider and had nothing but great things to say.  Same weight as a MachZ but feels lighter and better balanced.  Handled the trails like his 2002 zr800. Ran 119 on GPS with its new motor.  Imagine what it will do when the engine and sled are both broken in! There were three production sleds flown in from japan.  One was an ER and he said there was no top end loss with reverse.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
this guy is a cat rider and he said it is the same weight as a machz and feels better ? thought he rode a cat.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He rode cat the past two years, 2002 ZR 800 this year and 2000 T-cat last two then a 99 machz before them.  He also claimed that the RX-1 pulled like his TCat.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could care less if it gets beat by another sled, there are so many other advantages to a 4-stroke like the fact that he got over 20 mpg's driving the #### out of it. I was lucky getting 10 on My machZ!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Just got back from horseshoe snowcross the was a RX1 there looked pretty cool

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
how do those pipes not melt your pants?

·
Registered
556 Posts
This sled with twin pipes out the back should make the people up north happy about the noise, they already complain about sleds with the exhaust pointed into the ground. How long before you need skin graphs when you forget that the pipes are there. I cant tell you how nice it is to here about all the new sleds being compared to an mxz or a mach z, has the light come on yet, yea i thought so, true to form all the other brands are still chasing the indrustry leader, i guess thats good for us consumers that way we always have something new to look foward to the following season.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I could care less if it gets beat by another sled, there are so many other advantages to a 4-stroke like the fact that he got over 20 mpg's driving the #### out of it. I was lucky getting 10 on My machZ! [/b][/quote]
I think you do care Mighty RX1. How do you know what the fuel mileage is going to be? Did Yamaha tell you that it was going to be 20mpg when you drive it hard?? They have been telling alot of people alot of stuff lately.....those Silly guys.....I cant see you getting 20 mpg all the time. Dodge put a sticker in the window of my new truck telling me that I will get 20+mpg....Guess what   I only get 15mpg with a tail wind. And just some food for thought on saturday this was everyones fuel bills on 107 miles.....XC700-$30.50.....Renagade 800-$29.50......MXZ800-$31.50......My ZR900-$27.00......ZR800EFI-$25.00.......I am not sure what the price per liter was because I dont pinch pennies but I think it was around 75.9 cents per litre in Moose range lodge up in northern Sask.  That works out to 11.5 miles to the gallon for me with a 900cc engine.......whats wrong with that....

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Well I was going to post somthing arrogent about the fuel economy numbers but then i thought about it.  4 strokes do get better economy theres no arguing that.  And i know people who love to ride sleds but cant afford the gas.  Maybe this is there ticket to get into our great sport.  Be it a Polaris frontier or a Skidoo legend 1000v twin or for the speed enthusiest a RX-1.  

I was at the pump and filled my mach up with 45L of super.  The manual says the tank is only 43.  I then drove 150km and i was back at the pumps to do it all over again.  I dont mind because i really love the sled and the sport.  But some people just dont love it that much and cant justify putting more money in there sled for one 150km ride then they put in there car for all week.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BAYSVILLE-SNOPRO reported getting over 20.3 mpg driving it hard.  Keep in mind that this was a new sled with a tight motor.  It will only get better as that motor loosens up.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've already posted that I think this is a great sled, even though I don't like Yamaha (too small, under powered, bad susp. & handling).  Having said that, the Viper is fun, good power & more room than the previous Yam's, but still small, & all the other problems.  Anyway, I'm laughing because the Doo guy's are happy that people are comparing the RX-1 to a Mach Z!?!?!?!  I gotta laugh at that one!!  I know that this isn't a trash board, so I'll keep it clean.  But that's the most hillarious comparison I've heard!!!!!  The Mach Z is a powerful sled, but please, lets have some reason here.  I don't think the RX-1 will be spitting pistons out a couple times a year.  Anyone in Ontario knows that Doo's blow up more than anything.  If I couldn't ride Cat, I'd ride a Doo.  But I would have a few piston kits on hand, & would use them each season!!!  

All in all, wait to see what happens.  Yamaha has a proven track record of falling flat on their face!!!  Remember the V-Max4, or Viper?  This is the first Yamaha ever, that I actually think has a chance in suceeding as a top performer.  But they don't have the history to back up that guess!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Piston problems in doo's? I know of at least 10 doos with more than 10 000km's without any problems at all and don't know one that ever had an engine blown. Just changed my pistons on my doo for the first time after 10 000k's and don't find that too unreasonable

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I too would like to know about these piston problems.  I have had three mach's with ZERO engine problems except for plug fouling issues from time to time.

·
Registered
756 Posts
There are a few things to respond to here. First:the pipes out back those are plastic covers over fairly small tail pipes. the outside of them will be very cool. Second: the reps were claiming 19-21 MPG, which is somewhat believable as the bike gets 40+MPG Third:the mach piston thing. if the anyone in ontario knows this maybe they should keep their hands out from under the hood! As stockers don't spit pistons like it's their job as you suggest. Nor do the mod sleds if they are tuned by someone who knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I live in ontario and I dont know what your talking about.  Why dont you come down and tell that to my 1978 everest 340 which starts first pull even when the carbs are full of rain water.  Or we can go and add up all the milage on your machine plus your cat friends and compair it to my buddies 583 which has 20000+ on original pistons (Engine never touched.)  Then ill let you do a compression test on my 98mxz 500 which has 9000km but 151 psi of compression and still passes a leakdown test with flying colours.  

As for my mach. Ive owned 2 of them 1 only breifly and have had zero problems.  My dealer also said that they very rarely have problems.

Then after all that we can talk about the 97 ZR580 arctic cat and its wonderfull reputation as a piston thrower.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
And also.  The fact that the RX-1 is getting compaired directly to the Mach is a Complement for both the Mach and RX-1.  

Magazines like to rough up the Mach Z and continualy put it down or say it doesnt handle and they scare a lot of people away.  

But the fact is that racing against a mach for pink slips is about the worst idea you ever had and will ever have.  And this is the machine yamaha is aiming at.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts