Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to figure out how to time my rotary valve on my Skidoo 467 motor. It is out of a 92 Safari GLX. I rebuilt the motor. Anyone have any ideas that could help me? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Look for scribe marks on the rotary facing on the crankcase. Line the MAG side piston to TDC then install the valve disk as close to the line as possible taking the drive gear slack out CCW. The disk is isometric so you can flip it over to gain a few degrees closer to the scribe mark.

If you cases aren't scribed you'll need a protractor and a dial gauge. Easiest way to find TDC is to hollow out a spark plug and install a 3/8" X 2 1/2" bolt in it. This will create a piston stopper. Thread the modified spark plug into the MAG side plug hole then slowly turn the crank clockwise till the piston stops Make a scribe mark on the flywheel and adjacent crankcase (make sure they line up exactly). Now turn the crank slowly the opposite direction (counter clock wise) untill the piston stops. Make another mark on the flywheel adjacent to the previously scribed mark on the crankcase. Measure exacly between your two scribed marks on the flywheel and that is TDC. Remove the plug stopper and align the middle mark. Give me the engine type off the ID tag and I will look up he static R/V timing and explain how to degree the cases if there is no factory mark or if your installing a different valve disk.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a 467 type. This motor has never been taken apart before. I bought this sled from the original owner. I should of marked the rotary valve when taking it apart. When i look at the crancase from the front there is a arrow looking line on the pto side above the inlet port. This arrow looks to be part of the cases. Do i try and line my rotary valve up with that as best as i can to that arrow? i did try this, had mag piston on TDC. the other side of the valve edge was pretty close to the bottom of the magside inlet port. Am I close?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info. I have been looking for a service manual for this sled. I called all doo dealers in my area and they all said they were not dealers back in 92. Does anyone have a online manual for my sled? 92 Safari GLX. I dont want to pay a lot of money for a manual if someone online has it. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I called all doo dealers in my area and they all said they were not dealers back in 92.[/b]
What a lame excuse !!! In the past I've seen listings of previous model year manuals that are available from BRP. Try to contact BRP. Also, look for the Clymer brand of service manuals. They may have 1 that covers your model year.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Your R/V timing is Open @ 132 degrees and Closig @ 52 degrees. The cast in arrow is NOT the correct timing mark. There should be lines scribed on o the cases i the valve facing. If not you will need to borrow a degree wheel and follow attachment.

Attached is the procedure.

[attachment=40508:R_V_timing.doc]

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
its a 467 type. This motor has never been taken apart before. I bought this sled from the original owner. I should of marked the rotary valve when taking it apart. When i look at the crancase from the front there is a arrow looking line on the pto side above the inlet port. This arrow looks to be part of the cases. Do i try and line my rotary valve up with that as best as i can to that arrow? i did try this, had mag piston on TDC. the other side of the valve edge was pretty close to the bottom of the magside inlet port. Am I close?[/b]
i dont now if you found a manual for your sled yet, i found one for my 91 mach 1 at the local auto parts store?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts