Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, got a question here. my dad runs a 02 Pantera with the 600 efi. he finds that at full throtle it will rev up to 8200 and then drop back to 7700. he is losing power and has had it back to the dealer a # of times and tried a # of things but has yet found the problem. would greatly appreciat the help.
thanx

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dawg,

Has your snowmobile been losing top RPM since you purchased it? If not, checking the clutches for wear would be a good place to start. First you can check the drive clutch. Make sure the weights are not digging into the side of the spider. This can happen due to the bushings inside the weight being wore out where the cam arm pin goes throught the cam arm (weight). If the the weight is digging into the spider, it can adversely affect performance, and worst case scenario, cause clutch parts to come apart at high speed. To check, take you belt off, and then use large pliers to open the clutch up. Use a U-shaped bracket or c-clamp to hold the clutch open. Now that you have the drive clutch held open, you can take a look and see of the tips of the weights are digging into the spider. If you reach in and grab the tip of the weight, there should be no side to side movement, especially to the point where the tip of the weight comes in contanct with the spider. If your clutch and/or certain parts need replacement, take them to and authorized dealer. If that is o.k., you can then check the driven clutch.

With the driven clutch, just make sure the rollers are still in good shape, which they should be. Check the spring in the driven clutch and make sure it is not broken. Maybe the clutches just need a good cleaning. Do you clean them yearly?

If the snowmobile has been losing RPM since you purchased it, it could just be because of a poor clutch set-up. If you need clutching information, it is important that you receive you information from a credible and knowledgeable source. This can be done through Arctic Cat, a high performance shop (D&D), or even a reputable magazine like SnoTech.

Other then that, maybe you need to take your snowmobile to a more knowledgeable dealer. I hope this helped, but the best thing you can do is take you snowmobile to someone who knowledgeable and qualified in snowmobile diagnosis and repair, and I hope you get you sled fixed so you can enjoy an awsome year riding.

·
Registered
277 Posts
A friend has a 600 zl efi and it lost most of the compression last year his dealer replaced both rings and pistons and honed the cyclinders. The dealer told him that a sensor went bad I think it was bad from the get go always had bog I don't know which sensor possably the throttle position sensor, check the compression on both cyclinders they be within 10% of each other. The 600 zl needed weight bushings with only 1200 miles on it. ???

·
Registered
277 Posts
You asked about my clutch set up, orange/white drive spring, comet AC 57.1 gram weights with 1 shim removed from under the spider, sec set-up 53 deg helix red/white arctic spring in the middle hole, gears are 21/41 or 1.952:1 (I did this because I didn't want to buy a 70p chain which would go with the 20/39 gearing but had to make longer tensioner bolt). The clutch engages at 4800 if you bring the rpm's up quick, if you ease it up slow it engages at 5600, great for racing. The engine is stock, only change is the pilot jets are 35 instead of 40 the air screws are at 1 - 1 1/2 turns. The shift rpm is 8400 the sled is a 98 EXT 600 TRIPLE. With this clutch set-up there is no low end bog, when I worked for a performance dealer we did this to a lot of zrt's before they even touched the snow. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts