Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Artic Cat X fire 700. stock set up,RPM's would shift to 7800 then climb to 8000. rpm. The goal ,Max RPM @ motor 7800. I then went and bought a clutch kit from D&D, consisting of 73gr.big dog weights and their orange primary spring. When I installed them I would get initial shift to 7900 at full and then it would drop down to 7600 rpm, I figured when I saw the weights , because they are lighter the RPMs would increase, but the oppisite. stock spring is cat yellow/white with 75gr weights.Can anyone tell me why, I tested on lake with 1in snow, did many runs. Big dog weights maybe because of different profile?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Those big dog weights may have a heavier tip than the cat weights. More tip weight will bring your R's down on top.

Artic Cat X fire 700. stock set up,RPM's would shift to 7800 then climb to 8000. rpm. The goal ,Max RPM @ motor 7800. I then went and bought a clutch kit from D&D, consisting of 73gr.big dog weights and their orange primary spring. When I installed them I would get initial shift to 7900 at full and then it would drop down to 7600 rpm, I figured when I saw the weights , because they are lighter the RPMs would increase, but the oppisite. stock spring is cat yellow/white with 75gr weights.Can anyone tell me why, I tested on lake with 1in snow, did many runs. Big dog weights maybe because of different profile?[/b]

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
There are other factors that relate to what is going on here.

The overall weight is just one factor, while the shape of the weight (the actual shape where it meets the roller), and the center of gravity or mass of the weight also makes a difference.

The BD weights are tip heavy, and will make a sled pull on the big end, given every thing else is working correctly. If the belt alignment, track tension, etc.... are even the slightest bit off, it will really show with the tip heavy weights. Some builders are trying to overcome the Diamond Drive with REAL heavy tip weights to force the belt down into the secondary.

There are two fixes, go to lighter weights or take weight off the tip of the weights you allready have.

Me, with my Crossfire, I have had very good luch with Supertips.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts