Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trailering my ZR with cover on after a ride leaves rub marks. I want to get an undercover for the hood or maybe just use a large towel.  What is the best way to get the marks(scratches) out now.  I have a rubbing compound (turtle wax)for gel coat which is a very fine abrasive compound, will this work good.  This is not your standard rubbing compound which is very abrasive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have always had black sleds that show every scratch. The best way I have found is to use a simple car wax and a SOFT
cloth.The boat rubbing compound may work but I think it will leave swirl marks that you'll have to get out with wax anyway.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Check your AC dealer.  They make a wax for painted plastic that removes minor scratches in the clearcoat.  You could also check motorcycle shops that sell sportbikes.  They sell similar products for the plastic fairings on sportbikes.  Not that it removes scratches, but one trick I use is cleaning my sled with Pledge.  Use it before you trailer your sled and it will help protect the finish.  

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you don't mind putting a few coats of elbow grease into your sled, I did this this year for the first time and was impressed... had the same scratch and rub marks, pulled them right out.  Go to Pep Boys (only place that sells it around here), and get the mothers three step process ( Pre wax, glaze) they are two separate bottles... there is a third, the liquid carnauba wax, but it wears away too quick.  do the pre wax to pull any crap off after you use a good dish washing liquid to pull any last wax off (gotta start fresh).  Make sure the sled is GOOD and DRY before you pre wax tho.... (i.e. have a beer watchin football or something first) LOL... pre wax it, buff that off.... do the glaze, and when you buff that off, it will look done, but you need a good hard paste wax to protect that glaze other wise it will wear off right away.  I found the best wax was Collinite paste wax.... I'm spoiled tho, they manufacture it here in Utica, NY.  If you can find it, get it, if not, any hard carnauba paste wax will do... then, from that point, if you get any, simply put a light coat of the glaze and the wax again, and GONE....

But I agree the preventative maintenance of a towel or a soft cover helps a lot too...

GOOD LUCK!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the 02' ZR 800efi X-CRTY_EDT.  in black and noticed the same thing. A friend told me instead of buying that undercover, to use a fitted bed sheet. Might give it a try, but sounds kind of cheeesey.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts