Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1979 polaris apollo 340. that I have cleaned the carbs and put new needle and seats in new fuel line and filter. It will start and idle and run. But it wont take full throttle and if you roll the throttle on it will run up to 3/4 but not full. And if you punch the throttle it will bog. And bog at full. It does run a little rich. I think I have the carbs adjusted right. Could it be the choke plungers are wore out and need replaced. Do they wear out. The cable seem to be ok. This has got me stumped but at least I can ride some. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time everyone.

·
Registered
347 Posts
how many turns out is your mixture screw? usually i back out all screws 1 and 1/2 turns out and slowly keep going until the sled runs properly. your plunger could be dirty causing it to run poorly. try cleaning it and seeing what it does.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how many turns out is your mixture screw? usually i back out all screws 1 and 1/2 turns out and slowly keep going until the sled runs properly. your plunger could be dirty causing it to run poorly. try cleaning it and seeing what it does.[/b]
Ill try cleaning the plungers. My shop manual says 1 turn on the mixing screw. Then in the carb section it says 3/4 turn. My manual is old so it might not be up to date. Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In my xperience in the past ,I've dropped the needles down in the slides, by moving the small E-clips up a groove. Just a suggestion. Your idea about the choke plungers may be a possibility too. twin carb are always trial & error 4 me too! good luck

·
Registered
73 Posts
Your Carb's sound like they're working untill you transfer on to the main jet. If the choke was giving you a problem it would be far worse when the carb isn't wide open.I would still check it though.

Put your sled on a stand & hold it open & let it bog. Pull the plugs. See if there wet or dry. If there is a dry plug turning white it sounds like your main jet is clogged or to small. If It's wet & Black it may have come out or be to big. When you take the 4 star head screws out of the bowl on the bottom of the carb your Main jet will be the one in the centre looks like a little brass bolt with a hole in it. The needle controls from about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle then it transfers onto that jet.

Devo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts