Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for the manifold to start rusting(peeling) after only 100 miles?  I've taken the sled out twice(new ZR 600 EFI) this year and pressure washed it after both rides and stored it inside.  After the second ride I had to take it to the dealer for the fuel pump/smart valve problem and didn't get it back for a couple of weeks.  I don't remember it being rusted(peeling) when I took it to them, I'm almost paranoid that they diconnected the speedo and took it up north, but then again I worry too much.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it.   you can just take it off, have it sandblasted and re-paint it is you want it to look new again.  my 99 Zr 700 and powerderspecail 700 went the same way.       i would just repaint it if I were you

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 1000-IMP, I understand that it would be easy to repaint but was wondering if it is normal for the manifold to start peeling after only 100 miles, afterall it is the hottest part of the exhaust.  My pipe and shield are like brand new.

·
Registered
403 Posts
No, that's not normal or acceptable. Do you trailer your sled on an open trailer-being exposed to salt? Yes/no? That would do it if it is/was.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I would not say its normal that soon but I have seen it before. For sure all of my sleds by 500 miles the rust is comming thru on the pipe and manifold. Its not a big deal just get some high temp paint and in the summer spray it. Dont spend ant money sand blasting because its just going to rust again in a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with any of the ceramic pipe coating services?  I am thinking of coating the pipe and manifold on my new F7 next year.  I also have concerns about the coating altering the pipes powerband and messing up the EFI calibration.  Since the pipe already has a heat shield I am hoping that removing it will equalize the insulation provided by the coating.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
i have almost 4000 kms on my doo and its starting to change color a little now but no rust.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Ask the cat dealer about the ceramic coating.....I think that your pipe will just warm up faster and stay warm longer..but thats only my guess

·
Registered
32 Posts
I recall D & D Racing was experiementing on the dyno with ceramic coated pipes.  And they have a lot of experience with EFI.  Give them a call @ 315-376-8013 they will be more than happy to help.
I like the F5/F7 ceramic coated pipe idea.  It may be a case of "more than meets the eye".  Ceramic coating keeps the heat inside the pipe.  Perhaps it will be reduced enough to be able to change plugs w/o getting burnt by the pipe or putting mechanix gloves on.  And maybe it will reduce the heat under the hood enough to prevent the "airforce induction" from icing up after bashing drifts or riding powder.  I have a set of ceramic coated headers on my street rod, no rust yet.  Of course it doesn't see the harshness of winter either.
There is some good info about ceramic coating on the HPC website.  High Performance Coatings  There is some info on snowmobile performance in the motorsports section too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts