Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the grassdrags today in Lancaster, Ma and they had a couple RX-1's on display. According to the rep, they were production units. They did not run in any competetive race but just "rolled" them down the track at about 50-60 mph....The announcer then came on and announced that it just ran 92 mph........LOL when he never even got on it, and turned around about 100 feet after the traps, this was slipped in during an intermission. I asked the rep why none of the teams were running them yet and he skirted the issue saying the teams are working with them etc (what about stock classes)....What I want to know is why is Yamaha keeping a lid on what the RX-1 can or cannot do? are they slow? are they afraid of cancelled orders? I tried to pick up the front by the handle, but it was bending alot, so I stopped (it probably would have broke). Even snow week had an entire article how their staff ran an RX-1 for a day at the races, and they only talked about their reaction times, no info on E.T.s......is it that embarrassing? I just wanna see if it is the real deal or a real dog.

·
Registered
752 Posts
There was grass drags in Princeton MN this past weekend and a RX-1 ran there.

This is a quote from what I read
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In the class the RX-1 ran in it was competitive but not a winner.  The SRX
seemed to have that class covered.  I think the power to weight ratio for the
RX-1 is making it tough for them in 500 ft.  They will need some changes to
make it competitive at Hay Days.  Now I only watched 2 races with the Hauck
RX-1 and there may be another team that has it figured out and Hauck's don't
yet.  A guy I spoke to said the RX-1 was doing well on Saturday but not having
witnessed it first had I can't say for sure.

[/b][/quote]

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
They arerunning great in the 66 on ashphalt. I think it's to much machine to get going in 500 ft. But look out at 660.
Caleb

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
There was one in Gaylord, MI at the MSDRA race this weekend. I am in no way bashing, as I think it is cool, but it only advanced one round and that was a win vs. a 700XC that red-lighted. The XC had the RX1 beat ET wise, just that the XC left .010 early (.390 light)

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
It is very strange why yamaha wouldnt have them out.  Only reason is that there slow.

If they were fast they would race them and get a few more orders out of the deal.

Whats even more emmbarising is that there own SRX is beating it in the few meeting that they have had.  

Why on earth would yamaha cancel the SRX without making sure the RX-1 could beat it.  That makes me wonder if it is slower.  But then again i remember how the viper was supposed to clean up the SRX and in reality it couldnt even touch it.  

Oh well.  Time will tell.

·
Registered
311 Posts
First off Machzzzz1, nobody ever said the viper was gonna take care of the SRX.  Secondly, the racers have had the SRX for how many years now to get it running and a whole two weeks for the RX-1

·
Registered
731 Posts
"It is very strange why yamaha wouldnt have them out.  Only reason is that there slow."
First, most are waitting for clutch parts, gears.. from Yamaha.
Also racing in any Association is top level, take your machz to any race and see how YOU do. Now remember, your Z has been out from 1993 (lots of tunning info right from doo) and as fast as you say it is, you should take first place no problem. Right?
The RX-1 is ALL new, NO ONE has ever clutched a sled like the RX-1, so it will take time. Will it beat every sled made?
Don't know, but it will be far from "slow".

"Whats even more emmbarising is that there own SRX is beating it in the few meeting that they have had."
Whats to be emmbarised about?
The SRX is fast and it beats most sleds. If you look at MSDRA 2000 OVERALL CLASS WINNERS it's:
700 Stock:
1st Steve Edwards Yamaha
2nd Dave Lytle Yamaha
800 Stock:
1st Jim TerHorst Ski-Doo
2nd Dave Lytle Yamaha
So ONLY one ski doo out of ALL the machz's that raced finished better than that little SRX 700. Yep it's emmbarising.
1999 OVERALL CLASS WINNERS:
600 Stock
1st Fred Matthews Yamaha
2nd Clint Lee Yamaha
600 Single Pipe Stock
1st Fred Matthews Yamaha
2nd Steve Edwards Yamaha
700 Single Pipe Stock
1st Randy Hazard Polaris
2nd Shaun Zieg Polaris
700 Stock
1st Fred Matthews Yamaha
2nd Steve Edwards Yamaha
800 Improved Stock (Pro)
1st Steve Agdorny Yamaha
2nd Dominic Guarnieri Ski Doo
1000 Improved Stock (Pro)
1st Steve Agdorny Yamaha
2nd Bob Quigley Arctic Cat

·
Registered
756 Posts
Thanks toydoc, I don't understand all the bad talk about this sled. Is it just people scared about 4 strokes in general? Or is it just change in general? In the 80's when electronics really came to automotive engine control it wasn't so good at first. Look at it now there are many very powerfull (300+HP) engines out there. I am not scared of the new technology to snowmobiles (4 stroke & DFI) I am intrigued by it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
MXZ900, you hit it on the head with that one.
I cut my teeth, as they say, on old Fords with VV carbs and this new EEC system back in 81~82, then EECIII in 83, EECIV in 84...OBDII... None are the same. Each one are better and better but back then NO ONE would open the hood to work on them. It gave me lots to do and learn.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Amen to that, toydoc!  Why wouldn't a sled thats been out for many years not stomp on something that new?  I'm sure the racers are off testing them somewhere, trying new concepts of clutching with that high of torque, they simply didn't have the time to try out something this new.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
You guys dont seem to get it.

Its like switching to electric cars.  Maybe one day they will equal the performance of a gas powered car and have more range and not polute.  

But the fact is I dont want to drive an electric vehical and I dont think once they convert it will ever go back to the old way.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Machzzz1 you don't get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! change is going to come. I applaud Yamaha for building this sled so early in the emisions war that will come to our beloved sport. I don't feel this sled will be a slug by any means, but I believe it is a great start. You can not stop this it will come! Like it or not, lets just sit back & enjoy it. When the hot camaro was 185hp in 1983 I thought the world was over. This years specials vary from 300-435hp in emissions legal form. GET OVER IT. It's OK

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
It's been said that the racers have only had the sleds for a couple of weeks & didn't have them set up. Wouldn't the factory not been helping them? I think that Yamaha is rushing things. But then I've never been quite sure what to make of their race program.

They cry about not wanting to build a 440 for SnoX, but they go & build a Open class sled. Why not sleeve down a 600, throw it in a SXR chassis & sell it to racers & consumers? Spread out the development cost. Oh, I forgot, Yamaha buyers aren't interested in 440 ditchbangers.

Do you not think Ski-doo knew how the REV would have performed last winter before the season even started? A lot of money & engineering jobs depended on its success. If the REV's race season had been less than stellar, how do you think the sales would look? There might have been some engineers on the unemployment line.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Date line 1993, formula mach z 779, motor makes 140-145hp blows up weekly yee ha. When it's not blowing up it over heats. It comes with a Comet clutch so it rattles like an Arctic Cat yee ha. First year sleds sometimes are not so great, but hey they get better. My bet is that the RX1 will be twice the first year sled the Mach Z was! This comes from someone who owned a '94 '95 '97 '98 '99 Mach so don't believe that I am biased. This Yamaha will be my first, as I have had Polaris, Arctic Cat, & Ski Doo sleds in the past. Ski Doo being my favorite so far. Not to mention the sleds I have owned that are out of buisness now. I have had a sled in the yard since 1974 but there is still much to learn & to see. Lets just hope that we all have a great winter.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Kudo's mxz900.  If I remember correctly, Doo recalled all of the first year mach Z's and replaced the engines.  I too am a long time Doo die hard and this is my first Yamaha.  (sled that is)

·
Registered
756 Posts
I was still a technician at a Ski-Doo dealer in '93 (since opened my own shop) not only did S-D replace the engine, they replaced the pipes, muffler, both clutches, carbs, complete ignition, and jack shaft bearings. You should have seen the size of the crate the "kit" came in.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Stuff like that is the reason I will never leave Doo.  Bombardier is the one company that really holds true to there mission statment about being the best in all feilds there in.

I really feel that if there are problems with a certain sled that there are a lot of people at bombardier that are really sorry and want to fix the problem as soon as possible.

I just dont get that feeling from yamaha.  There a do what ever they want company.  THere quality has gone down hill since 1996 in there ATVs and now maybe in there sleds.  It seems that there only after the sales and they dont put heart into there sleds.  

SKIDOO and Arctic Cat have there diffrences especially there owners but both companys put heart in there mechines and want them to be great.  My latest experiances with yamaha makes me belive there total oposites and are kind of like the big industry that nobody can touch, they dont even post a email address on there website.  

Bombardier may be the biggest out of all the manufactors but they feel like the smallest, they always reply emails or phone calls and care and feel for you.  

Just somthing to think about.

As for the RX-1 and its first year, It better be good if it isnt and yamaha handles it like there raptor atv then i would be very pissed.  The Raptor had a ton of first year problems and thanks to yamahas customer care they still have the same problems.  

As for technology coming, Yes its comming and we cant do anything about it.  But IMO putting a 4 stroke in a sled wont help anything but the enviroment and thats compairing it to a carb 2stroke.  I belive that thanks to yamaha and there 4stroke that even when 2 stroke technology and emmtions ties or passes 4 stroke which i would argu has already happend, Magazines and the industry wont give them a chance and they will fade out like the triples which are still the best engine out there, its just because of the magazines and there constant misleading crap that they are not doing any better.

And Steven which tree hugging organization are you signed up with.
  No wonder I dont understand yamaha owners. Over my dead body would I take a electric car over a Gas powered one.  Just the thought of switching to electic cars makes me feel guilty from denying our kids the joys and pleasures of finly tuning a carbed V8 hotrod or just enjoying the song that any internal combustion engine has to offer.  I strongly suggest you go back and edit that post for some stanger to this site may come online and read that and think were a bunch of lamers
Jk.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Machzzzz1 do you own stock in Bombardier?  

Please list the problems with the Raptor, mine has been flawless.  They changed the gearing from what the first year's was but that wasn't for reliability issues.  They also replaced a gasket in the carb that could blow out.  Other than that they are bullet proof.
I think your nuts.  From their bikes, to their generators to watercraft, Yamaha is second to no one.

My buddy had to threaten to sue Ski-doo about his 2002 800mxzx with a sticking throttle.  In the shop 3 times, the last time they had it over 30 days.  They finally wised up and picked it up and ordered a 800 REV x for him.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Honda had a sticking throttle on there PWC and no one sued them.  As for your buddies 800mxz throttle sticking well they use the same carbs as yamaha does (mikuni) so whos problem was it really.

THE Raptor problems.

1. Weak Axles
2. Weak tranny (2nd gear.)
3. Carbs Poping off (Somewhat fixed)
4. Failing Starters.
5. Excessive Valve noice.

Im not saying its a givin that this will happen to your bike, but it is the majority.

As for yamaha being first, Please.  They are second in the ATV department to Bombardier in my opinion for both quality and reliablity, and honda in sales.  

There Generators are also out sold by honda but i also agree that they are top notch, But there generators.  And there watercraft are huge and dont handle worth a stick compaired to the RX and XP hulls that Seadoo has that constantly wins Hull of the year awards.  

The yamaha dirtbikes and motorcycles are my favorite part of the company but mostly becasue i dont like what the compitition has to offer.  

And in outboard motors Up until now yamaha has had the best but Since bombardier has taken over Evinrude I fear this is not the case.  The Evinrude engines have more features including stonger altenators and well yamaha is running to make 4 strokes evinrude is using top of the line 2 stroke technology (Fitch) fuel injection that makes more power, uses less gas and is lighter and cheaper then the yamaha 4 stroke.  And by using oil injection nossles aimed at certain components it apperier that evinrude is on the right track at seizing the market.  More proof of bombardier mission statement.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts