Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does the owners' manual say is the proper break-in procedure for an RX-1?  From what I've read and heard, proper break-in of the RX-1 is essential.

In August, I bought an FX-140 waverunner (R1 engine.)  According to the owners' manual, for the first half hour, maximum RPMs are 5K, then for the next hour, maximum RPMs are 8K.  After that, it's okay to bring the RPMs up to 10.5K.  Finally, after ten hours, Yamaha recommends that you bring it in for a "ten hour check-up" (change oil, adjust steering, sync and adjust carbs, etc.)

I know some folks say "BS" and ride it like you stole it, but I from the camp that say do what the manufacture recommends.  So, for you lucky soles that have taken delivery of your RX-1, what does Yamaha recommend?

A

·
0 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W.F.O. @ Sep. 23, 2002, 8:14pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I know some folks say "BS" and ride it like you stole it, but I from the camp that say do what the manufacture recommends.  So, for you lucky soles that have taken delivery of your RX-1, what does Yamaha recommend?[/b][/quote]
When you buy a new car do you believe the dealer when they say if you don't get the oil changed by the dealer the warranty is void?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ARCTICZRT600 @ Sep. 24, 2002, 1:12pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W.F.O. @ Sep. 23, 2002, 8:14pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I know some folks say "BS" and ride it like you stole it, but I from the camp that say do what the manufacture recommends.  So, for you lucky soles that have taken delivery of your RX-1, what does Yamaha recommend?[/b][/quote]
When you buy a new car do you believe the dealer when they say if you don't get the oil changed by the dealer the warranty is void?[/b][/quote]
ARTICZRT600........I've purchased MANY new cars and I have yet to have a dealer tell me that, if I do not have them change the oil, the warentee is void.  If a dealer did tell me that, I would never buy another car from him again.

On the other hand, if the dealer/manufacture tells me that I need to change the oil at 1K miles, I change the oil.  If I did not change the oil at 1K miles (as the manufacture recommends) and then ran into problems, I'd expect the dealer/manufacture to void the warentee.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yamaha owners manual says: no extended periods of time over 6000 rpm, change the oil after 300 miles, then let er rip!!!! change the oil every season or 2000 miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rippin440zx.........Thanks for the information!!!

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
grip it and rip it because if it is going to fly apart you want to know first thing.

but always do routine proper maintenance.

no car dealer that i know of has ever said have your oil changed with us or else no warranty. in fact i get a little peeved when our guys do warranty on a vehicle that hasn't had an oil change in a long time. you can see the oil becomes like coal stuck to the inside of an engine and has to be chipped off.

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is the engine with is used in the motorbike YZF1000R1. Regarding that bike, break in is essensial for the oil consumption. The sylinders are ceramic coated. It will be good to run mineral for about 1000miles before u change oil and filter and switch to fully syntetic. This will make the engine properly breaked in. Syntetic will be to "slippery" and the engine will not be properly breaked in. Vary the speed, but dont run on WOT!

Norwegian

·
Registered
756 Posts
sounds good to me formula 500

1 - 10 of 10 Posts