1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I copied this from american snow.  

Real RX1 dyno #''s
TurboRX1 on 9/11/2002 7:27:00 AM

Bone stock no jetting or anything 144.8hp at 10650rpm The engine made 141hp at 9500 and still had 141hp at 11200.Very very wide powerband.Should be fun.I will dyno again and post when I get my turbo.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I will confirm or dispute these #'s very soon. The land&sea is in the shop, sled is supposted to be here by the weekend.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Mighty RX-1, I just run those H.P numbers though a H.P/Torque calculator and was surprized at the readings, torque is a lot lower then I thought it would be, I thought the 4-stroke would be putting out a lot more torque, like over 100ft#, here are the numbers I got.
144.8 hp @ 10650rpm=71.4ft#
141.0 @ 9500=77.9
[email protected]=66.1

Check out the calculators at http://www.superford.org/garage/calculators/index.php#estimated_torque

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But how will torgue be affected running thru the gear reduction?  I assume it should be increased............

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I would thing the dyno would be hooked up at the engine output shaft, after the gear reduction, so it has all ready been increased

·
Registered
413 Posts
Something doesn't add up there.  When I heard reports of a 75' roost from haydays, I thought that must be some outrageous torque coming out of that thing.  That's why it spins the track so bad, throws a big roost, and can't get going in 500'.  Now with those numbers, that doesn't make sense.  All the BS that's going around, I can't make heads or tails of it all.  Please let is snow and bring on the shootout.  I need this to end already!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TurboRX1 on 9/11/2002 11:40:00 AM

The motor produced 71.5 ftlbs at peak and about 78ftlbs at 9600.At the clutch peak rpm was 8900 and torque 85lbs .Benji i bought my own Dyno.I don't know if messing with the jetting will show more but it was 88 degrees out and this was totally stock with no jetting changes.For comparison I have dynoed a stock xc600 at 115hp and a Not quite stock(but the stuff he bought definetly wasn,t working)800 02 skidoo mxzx at 128hp.Drew I am as independent as they get I have nothing to sell or gain by posting high or low #'s.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Your numbers are right but they are not accurate as to the peak torque. Those calculations came from 9000 + RPM data. The question is how much power does the engine produce at the lower RPM's. Because its a four stroke it is going to produce a lot more power at say 6000 than a two stroke and thats where the torque is going to be. Tell us how much power it produces at 5 or 6 grand and then calculate the torque. I am sure you will come up with much better numbers.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Good point 99srx700, What we need to see is the dyno print out, it would be intresting to see what the torque numbers would be at clutch engagment on up to 6000-7000 rpm.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Somebody needs to get that sled on a track Dyno. You will be suprised at what it tells you......I am guessing about 65-70hp to the ground.

If you have a sled that has 200hp and only gets 90 of it to the ground and a sled that has 150 hp but gets 110 to the ground....who's faster. Track numbers will tell all!!!!!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On american snow a few weeks ago, someone reported either 82 or 92 HP on a track dyno.  I'll try and find that post.

·
Registered
333 Posts
JUst a question,not a jab But, does it really matter what the torque is at 5 to 7 thousand rpm unless you clutch it there. When you pin the throttle it can only go to one or the other not both(except after full shift out) This sled should have had a gear box so it would engage at max tourque and shift at max hp and fall back to max torque again(im guessing there is too wide of a spread to use effectivelly for a sport sled)would be great for a two up or work sled that would lug

·
Registered
259 Posts
John,
   I was going to include this in my last reply but I decided to keep it short. I heard the RX-1 clutching is very unique in the sense that when you wack the throttle it does not jump to peak RPM like a two stroke. Instead it is a gradual rise in RPM. As the sled goes faster the RPM's get higher. I heard it from a pretty reliable source. In other words, in the case of the RX-1 you are not always at peak RPM. It all depends on the speed at which you are going.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Last time I heard any HP#s from a reliable source they were saying that they couldn't get 140 hp. That was Bender.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Is that why they are using such heavy weights ? That would also explain why they are having a few teething problems in 500 foot runs,it would be hard to balance between to the two rpm peaks(torque and hp)

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Thought thast you guys knew about the clutching. There are now 95gram weights for the TRA for example but they go all the way to 120 for the rx-1. It's a torque monster below 7,000 rpms. This sled engages around 3500 I do believe. All tuners are saying that it's a total bitch to clutch it.
Caleb

·
Registered
756 Posts
Just be patient boys & girls I will test & test & test & let know how much power it makes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey mr.670 cool book on calculations i like it,the numbers are correct for the r1 motor w/ no gear reduction,but rx1 has much more at the crank after the reduction,hopefully around 110ft. i have heard will have to see,the 4-stroke still needs to be broke in a bit longer than a 2-stroke though,we have a few folks running water through the suspension and getting everything loosened up and it is helping on the race track.
Keep up the news guys. pete

1 - 20 of 23 Posts