Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI Yamaha Riders -

I stopped into a dealer last week and was told by the dealer that Yamaha is having problems with their front bumpers. Seems that the bumper is not attached properly and may pull off if the sled is lifted from the front.

Riders may want to contact their dealer to see if there is any fixes for this issue.

Just FYI...

This post edited and changed by SWWebmaster

Attachments

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I'm sure the bumper is not weak......Who wants to buy a sled that sat on the showroom floor and had 500 people pulling on the bumper. The fact is its a new concept and the world is interested.......They are adding fuel to the fire with the signs because now I'm heading down to Yamaha to see if they will let me lift the RX1.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
They are breaking off sled-head.Why the heck yam didn't fix the problem prior to the production run is beyond me.
Caleb

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
:D I know of dealers the put on "Do Not Sit , I'm Sold " signs on machines that are already bought!! I know i wouldn't want every joe jumping around on my machine as it sat at the dealers!! Same goes with the bumper!! I wouldn't want everybody yanking on the bumper cause it will get stressed and crack! i am sure if there is a problem with the bumpers the guys at yammy are coming out with a fix for it, or it could be that everyone wants to have a go at lifting this thing to see how heavy it actually is!!! To me, i view the sign as somewhat funny due to the statements that the RX-1 is a tank!! I am sure that the dealer just doesn't want everyone yanking on the frontend of the machines on the showroom floor!! :blahblah: :cussing: :D :p

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Oh I didnt know that sleddog........I just heard the prototype at the show had a broken bumper. ......Thats what warranty is for :D

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
They have strong hood as one got tested at the drags in capac today. Some f-ing moron had hid girlfriend in front of hinm on his sled pulling into the staging area which had sleds facing every direction as they just waited till they saw some one they wanted to run against. Well a HUGE guy is sitting a a new 2 mile old RX-1 and the kid grabs throttle sending his front end sky high and landing on the front of the rx-1 one. Morons!!!!
caleb

·
Registered
299 Posts
Here is my take on the matter and the questions I have.

1. Does yamaha have a problem with the strength of their bumper???

This is a legitemate concern becasue nobody wants to buy a sled that is going to break off in the first year when they are pulling it out of the bamboo on the side of the trail, or picking up on it to move it around on the trailer. It is not unreasonalbe that the bumper should be used like this.

2. Yes, everyone and their brother that walks into a Yammy dealership wants to pick up the front end of a RX1 to answer the question that everyone is asking. Is Yamaha's stated weight correct or just a bunch of marketing BS. I realize that people do not want to buy a brand new sled that has been picked up 500 times before it rolls out of the showroom, but on the flip side of that, the bumper should be able to handle it. Every bumper I have ever had has been reefed on from day one getting it unstuck, on and off the trailer, in and out of the bed of my pickup, and in and out of my garage and the shop for work. I have never had a bumper fall off. EVER If even one bumper has broken off from someone picking it up and setting it back down in a showroom setting, then how in the heck is it going to stand up to real world use. If even one bumper has broken off from this, then I say Yamaha has a problem.

Those are my questions no bashing intended or implied.

This post edited and changed by SWWebmaster

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Point well made..........It just made me think of this time my friends pull start came apart and the rope got sucked in and destroyed the stator. We were stranded 100 miles in the middle of moose country and I pulled that ZR8 the whole way by its front bumper......I think that a strong front bumper is important and if there is a problem than they had better address it sooner rather than later

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I believe it was MXZ900 that weighed his black RX-1 with fuel and it was 640#
Caleb

·
Registered
756 Posts
twas me

Attachments

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE FRONT BUMPER CAUSE AT MY YAMAHA DEALER WE TOO HAVE A FRONT BUMPER BROKEN. SO THAT IS AT THE VERY LEAST 2.IT IS SOMETHING YOU COULD ASK YOUR DEALER ABOUT AND MABE IT IS SOMETHING THEY KNOW OR NOT. CAUSE THERE MIGHT BE A WEAK FRONT BUMPER DOES IN NO WAY MEEN THE SLED IS JUNK...... BIG DEAL SEND OUT AND UDATED VERSION FOR THOSE WHO HAVE A PROBLEM AND LIFE GOES ON. MANY SLEDS AND AND ALL MANUFACTURES HAVE HAD MORE THEN JUST A COSMECTIC PROBLEM ??? . SWRules

This post edited by SWWebmaster

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
Originally posted by Sled Dogg@Oct 6 2002, 06:01 PM
They have strong hood as one got tested at the drags in capac today. Some f-ing moron had hid girlfriend in front of hinm on his sled pulling into the staging area which had sleds facing every direction as they just waited till they saw some one they wanted to run against. Well a HUGE guy is sitting a a new 2 mile old RX-1 and the kid grabs throttle sending his front end sky high and landing on the front of the rx-1 one. Morons!!!!
caleb
To set the record straight:

I support Toydoc's decision 100% on this matter. He knew what this could lead to and it did. I find no fault with him whatsoever.

On the other hand, I believe that it should be possible to discuss a POSSIBLE manufacturer defect without the messages leading to a brand bash.

I have edited the original post by Tim, which I feel has merit, and have deleted some others, changed some, edited and cropped others. I feel the topic is clean at this point and ask that it stay that way.

On another note, Sled Dogg, I was staging my sled about 20 feet away from that RX-1 that got hit at Capac. What a complete moron that was on back with his girlfriend. Did you notice which way they were heading when they hit the RX-1? Who drives through the staging area in the opposite direction as opposed to just going around?

Go figure...and yes, the RX-1's hood is stronger that I thought too...

·
Registered
756 Posts
ski doo s series bumpers are the same way, if you abust or jerk them hard they will fail. also on impact they absorb shock. I also feel they, as well as the yamaha bumper should be stronger. I stock an s series bumper along with front braces. I guess i'll have to stock an rx1 bumper as well.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
OK, so Yammi may have an issue with the front bumpers. I say lets hope that they do something about it. It's a new product, and low and behold, they are gonig to have a few teething issues with it. Seems like that's par for the course with new products. I'm dealing with that myself with the new car. It happens.

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
Good to get back on track..... I happen to think the RX-1 is a nice looking sled. I want pipes out the back on my ZL 800 SS.... I have broken bumpers off a couple of sleds in my day... one being my ZRT... Cat had a problem with that in 95' and they added some stuff to fix it. All par for this snowy course

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Like i said in one of my deleted posts. This issue is over and taken care of by yamaha. The other bumper like in the photo is just for show. Yamaha didnt want anyone to find out how much the sled weighed until they had desided if it was the sled they wanted to sell.

Like I said the new bumper is strong enought to lift and it doesnt feel week. I lifted it at the dealer many times.

And MXZ900 as for the S chassie bumbers being weak. I have not noticed this with my 500 but it does seem a little under rated compaired to the ZX and CK3. But it never broke on me...

·
Registered
756 Posts
You are correct machzzzz1 the ck & zx bumpers are substanually stronger. The s chassis was ski doos first attempt at a plastic front bumper. They got stronger, was never a big issue just not quite strong enough.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Yes there is a problem with the front bumper. When I picked up my RX-1, there was another one setting their without a bumper. I asked what happened to it and the tech said that they supported the sled by the front bumper on a crate over nite so they could install the ski's and came in the next morning to find the bumper ripped off.

Big deal I say. If your gonna properly tow a sled, you tow by the ski's. If you undig a sled, you pull it by the ski's!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
A bumper is a bumper, I've never broken one off (my phazer doesn't even have one!) but I'm sure it is possible.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts