Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guys that test rode the RX-1's in Timmins reported that on their first tank of gas they got just over 20 MPG's.  When they topped off the second tank, it figured out to just over 24 MPG's.  Keep in mind that the sled ended up having somewhere around 400 miles on it.  Will it get even better as the engine breaks in?
??  I got 12 on my mach Z once and was esstactic (It averaged 10).  I can't imagine doubling it.  I know some of you will say no big deal with all of the other expenses with snowmobiling.  But I say it is a big deal.  When riding, I average two fillups a day (roughly 200 miles a day) at $20.00 a shot.  Throw in a $10.00 quart of synthetic injecter oil daily and I'm gonna save $30.00 per day!  With the RX-1 no more injecter oil is needed, 1 less tank of gas, and it's regular to boot not premium.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Mighty RX-1,
  You know Machzzzzz1 will be posting on this one. I can sense the friendly "discussion" now.  
 I'll be beating the tar out of mine, wonder the mileage I'll get.
Caleb

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just a little food for thought...I have seen 18 out of my SRX but that was on a nice cold day when the trails were hard and smooth. I was also just cruising as opposed to beating the snot out of it like I tend to do. Either way when I beat on it I still get around 15. It all depends on conditions but 18 out of a 99 SRX is possible because I have done it. If a two-stroke 700 is capable of 18 then I am sure the RX-1 will do much better.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Caleb, according to the rider they were doing just that, beating the tar out of them.  Yamaha told them that they were fresh off the assembly line and wanted them to find any bugs they could.  I guess the only bug they found were the mufflers covers.  Something about the way they were fastened.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just a side note on Viper/RX-1 Bugs.  Both the Viper and RX have similar hood configurations.  I haven't heard anyone mention this before on the site but on the Viper if you do a lot of mogul pounding the hood will pop inside the Sill/Engine compartment.  Right by the S on the PTO side and right by the r on the Mag side.  It creases the hood plastic and scuffs it.  Not major but a item non the less.  Happened on both of my buddies Vipers.  By the way his Vipers both get great MPG as well.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Will the difference in purchase price between my MXZ 600 & the RX1 be worth the savings?

When I priced out my previous truck, the salesman thought it was going to be used by a business (Clearance lights, snow plow package etc.) He wondered if I'd be interested in a diesel? I told him how many klicks I put on a truck in a year and he said no that it wasn't worth my while to buy the diesel. Plus I don't do that much towing.

If the price was comparable, maybe a person would look at it.

It's like the auto industry & electric cars. The one GM had in California was so expensive they just leased them to the customers.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
i think we will hearing 30 mpg from 4 strokers and now that the push on for 2 strokes with better emissions there will be higher fuel mileages out of 2 strokers.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Mighty RX-1,
   Machzzzzzz1 must be busy out  in the warm weather. Thought for sure we'd hear a responce from sooner!!!Ha Ha!
 Caleb

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
You can take the $30.00 you saved and lose it to me in a drag race.  

Seriously it would be nice to get some better gas milage but really im not about that.  I want to drive not watch the gas gauge.  Im out there to feel the performance and to smell the 2 stroke oil mix.  It sickens me to hear people that are always crying about gas and oil and they putt around trying to conserve.  

If snowmobiliing was too easy to afford we would have a lot more people riding that dont know what there doing causing problems on the trail.  Belive it or not its the high price of this sport that keeps snowmobiling good.  Have you ever met a guy on the trail that didnt like the sport. Not me.  If you give up all the money spend on a sled and gas then belive me your going to love the sport and treat it with respect.  

I drive a dodge ram which gets about 11 to 13mpg. I drive a camaro that gets 5 to 6 mpg, My sled gets about 10 - 11 mpg.  If i had a sled that got 20 it just would make my car and truck sound like gas guzzlers.  

And shame on you Mighty RX-1.  You know that the gas stations need to make a living.  How would you feel if you sold gas and everyone tryied to make more efficent machines.  

I ride My sled because i enjoy it.  Even if they did make a sled that gets 50mpg im sure a lot of people would go running for it but not me.  I ride somthing because i like the way it rides.  Just like my camaro.  It shakes and idles rough it uses more gas then a jumbo jet but i love it.  

And whats with this crap about saving money on injector oil.  Big deal.  I bet yamaha will have the oil filter priced out at 150 bucks anyway which will be backordered so youll have to wait.  

I could go and buy a skandic or 380 fan and save 30 bucks a day.  

And finnally.  How fast do you think the people in timmins were driving.  4 strokes are really good at putting around but become just as bad if not worse when opened up.  I can get my 400cc atv to get real bad on gas on a railway bed opened up.  

I wouldnt quit the day job yet...

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Oh and sled DOGG What made you so sure i would post hear.  Do you think i go looking for trouble.  

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, here we go. First off, I will gaurantee that my RX-1 will beat a stock to slightly modified machZ when I get done with it, my wallet will make sure of that.  Second, I don't watch my gas gauge, but getting better milage is definately a plus.

My F150 4x4 super cab pulls in almost 19 on the hwy cruisin about 75 mph, drops to 13 pulling my sleds.   It has always pissed me off that my truck gets better milage than my sled.

As far as cars go, my 68 vette gets around 6 mpg but I don't drive it 200 miles a day.  I simply cruise for scratch in the early evening hours.  Don't tell the wife.

Last edited by Rocketman at April 11, 2002, 10:30pm

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Machzzzz1,
If he was talking about getting an Arctic Cat 660 4-stroke I could understand your argument, and I'd agree with you.
If it was as simple as a choice between performance and gas milage, then the choice would be clear.
However, I think the RX-1 is going to offer very good performance.
The point here is that the money spent on the high purchase price will be made up by the savings on gas and oil, and that's a good thing.
I don't complain about getting 10mpg, but I'm really glad I don't get 5, and I'd love to get 20mpg.

I can't believe you think getting good gas milage is a bad thing.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Im not saying its a bad thing.  I think the RX-1 will get good milage when its touring but when you start driving it fast it will drink the gas like the best of them.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NewfieBullet @ April 12, 2002, 12:16am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The point here is that the money spent on the high purchase price will be made up by the savings on gas and oil, and that's a good thing.

I can't believe you think getting good gas milage is a bad thing.[/b][/quote]
I myself can't see spending an extra 3 grand to get an extra 5 mpg. With the improvements coming down the pipe to the 2 strokes, the cost developing these motors will go down. Do you think Rotax won't spread the use of SDI to other motors. Look at the work that has been done to outboard 2 strokes.

We know that a 800 twin 2 stroke with some form of FI will be lighter than a 1000 cc 4 cylinder. Will the cost of that motor be more than a conventional 800. Probably, but the OEMs can't afford to jack the price up to much or the buyer will opt for the cheaper sled.

I average almost 2000 miles a season & the cost of the gas & oil I use over the season doesn't really enter into the equation.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"I myself can't see spending an extra 3 grand to get an extra 5 mpg" What's that suppose to mean revrnd? Where can you get a sled with anywhere near the performance or bang for your buck  that the RX-1 has for $4,900.00?  I paid $7,900.00 for my RX-1 ER, and the gas milage is a bonus.  

Machzzzz1, the guys that test rode the RX-1 rode the piss out of them and got that gas milage.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Just got into work (2pm
) and was glad to see that the MIIIIGHTY Machzzzz1 came the the boxing ring. And it's Sled Dogg Machzzzz1, not sled head Ha Ha. I know you never go looking for trouble it just follows that fast MachZ of yours.  

Caleb

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
That works out to close 13,000 CDN. There is no way I could justify spending that much money on a sled. That's generally what I put down on a new truck. If the OEMs came out with a 4 stroke sled, priced similiarly to a 600 and it had the same performance, I could be swayed. But that's my opinion.

If you are the type of rider who has owned a T-Cat, Mach Z or XCR 800, the RX1 is probably the sled for you. I don't think there is a big price jump from those 3 to a RX1

·
Registered
23 Posts
With respect to Ski doo's SDI engines a 25 % increase over the current 800 in the Renegade would still only make it barely acceptable.  My buddies are getting roughly 8 mpg out of theirs.  I am serious, 8 mpg!  And other people are saying the same.  So a 25% increase on 8 mpg will give you about 11!!  Still sucks if you ask me.

Their skidoos were bought at different dealers so it ain't the set-up.  I heard skidoo blew alot of 800's in 2001, so they made 2002 ultra rich.  Guess they might do better with some fiddling.  Anyways my point is that everything is relative.  I think it will be a long time before a two stroke can compete with 4 stroke fuel efficiency.  

There is something to be said for the environmental aspect of it too.  Don't get me wrong I'm no tree hugger.  But why go out of our way to pollute?

Chiefkp

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
revrnd, those are the sleds I ride and the RX-1 was comparable to all of them in price. If you factor in that you get $500.00 (US) electric start as standard equipment, it's less than the others.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">those are the sleds I ride and the RX-1 was comparable to all of them in price[/b][/quote]

That's my point. I'm not going to go from what I paid for my 600 to what a Mach Z costs. Not everyone out there can afford a "Mach Z" priced sled. According to a poll here earlier the 600 LC class was the most popular. Those people aren't buying the big iron now or in the future. Bring the price down for the masses and you'll see more people going the 4 stroke way.

I think Ski-doo has gone overboard on the jetting & oil pump settings to save on warranty costs. If sleds were set up properly from the factory we'd have less pollution to start with. Like I said elsewhere, as delivered my 2001 MXZ 600 had a gas/oil ratio of 23:1 @ trips to the dealer and now it's running @ 50:1 They should have sold the oil in those old yellow plastic quart jugs  

1 - 20 of 25 Posts