Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend has an RX-1 that is on its fourth set of plugs and it has yet see decent trails! 14 miles on it so far. The dealer is not owning up to any known problems on the new model - yet @ 5.50 a plug it is getting annoying!
Anyone been there yet?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
maybe check rx1.info or totallyamaha.com to see if anyone else is having this problem,the 2 rx1's me and my buddy are riding have been flawless,with the exception of some bad noises coming from the primary on the one sled(happened 3 times)when the sled was trying to engage..

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
From the RX-1 forum at totalyYamaha;

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:46 pm Post subject: Has anyone fouled a plug on their RX1????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just started my sled, (it has 5 Miles on the clock) It poped a little through the exaust then it dropped one cylinder! I reved it up to 6000 on the stand and it would not come out of it. Shut it down and pulled the plugs. #1 was black and dry, #2 slightly wet 3+4 the same as #1 dry and black. I heated up the #2 plug with a torch to dry it out then I put it back in the #1 cyl. Reinstalled the rest of the plugs and started it up. I sounds better (I think) I could not rev it up (kid sleeping now). I hope it isnt a carb problem or coil, HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD A FOULED PLUG???
I didnt expect this with a 4 stroke...............My 700sx never fouled a plug..........But I never idled the sx for 2 hrs (Accumulative) in the first 5 miles either

DaveRX1

Air-mitch
Regular

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:52 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dude,I would RUN not walk to the dealer w/ that.I have yet to hear anything like this.I overheated mine,but it didn't seem to do anything like you mentioned.I have the original plugs in my GSXR 1100 and I now have 11,000 miles on it.You definately have something wrong.

bigdog
Regular

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:03 pm Post subject:

Yes i have fouled the plugs took it back to the dealer and they said the carbs needed cleaned now it runs fine. P.S plugs are about $10.00 each!

Daverx1

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:22 pm Post subject: Re: Plug fouling

Big dog, Did the dealer cover to carb cleaning??? Hell the carbs are only 3 months old!!! how are they supposed to gum up that quick????

snorover
Rookie

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:25 pm Post subject:

i read that because of the amount of oil that Yamaha put in the sled at the factory that you could faul a plug during the ititial start up.

Also you should check the air box to make sure that all boots for the carbs are on.

RX-1 Fulltime

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:38 pm Post subject:

Guys you have a little dirt or varnish in one of your carbs, just clean them or have your dealer clean them-problem gone. It happens on the R1 bikes sometimes also. Once they have not been sitting around from shipment or lack of use it will be gone. Happened to me, cleaned the carbs out, ran a little injection cleaner in the fuel, waiting for snow-runs great ! Hope this helps.

SSBB

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:29 pm Post subject:

Daverx1,
Your last sentence says it all. Like me, you've probably fired this thing up quite few times to show your buds (yourself?) how cool it sounds. I know I have! That's probably what fouled your plugs. According to the Yam rep at the shows last year, they were firing these things up hundreds of times for the same reason, every once in a while they would foul a plug. It's not normal useage and shouldn't be a problem once we're actually riding. Try and use as little choke as possible when you're showing off that cool sound!
If it won't ever run right without choke on, then you just might have a dirty carb problem but I doubt it.

rx-1pat

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:01 pm Post subject:

Don't forget that gas has about a 60 day shelf life. If you picked yours up in August like most guys and did not put stabil in the fuel or fresh fuel in the tank, it is going to go bad. It does not take much to gum up the carbs, especially if it sat for months without stabil in the fuel and carbs.

NHRX1

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:35 pm Post subject:

Did the same thing you did, was VERY pissed. Changed all four plugs NO PROBLEM, except they were $5.50/ea. Oh well , at only 4 a year WHO CARES. Put 3 miles on up at camp last weekend-FEELS great, especially when rolling into it. Can't wait to REALLY ride it.

U.P. RX1

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:45 pm Post subject:

I also fouled out my first set of plugs. This didn't seem to be a problem to me because my dealer said that I may go through a set during initial break-in. Up to this point I had ridden mine around the yard a few times, had idled/ran on a stand a handful of times once getting very hot but not overheated. The weather is now getting cold enough to run it some more and since the change my plugs have been perfect. Yes if this continues to happen then I am definitely dropping it off at the dealer, but I don't think I will be changing them throughout the winter like the 2-strokes.

Daverx1

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:10 pm Post subject:

Well my RX1 is now just fine. Changed the #2 plug, and now she is purring again. It did get stabil in the gas in august, and 3 weeks ago I added two gals of super and half a jug of carb cleaner, so I certainly hope my carbs are clean. Thank for the replys guys. PS I am riding all day friday if it dosnt rain!!!!
Dave RX1

Rick_M

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:25 pm Post subject: Fouling plugs

Well, when I was at my dealer he was kind enough to give me some new plugs, he said I will need them, that Yamaha says they are fouling plugs, he has ordered in plug caddys for each machine they have sold, as they do not come with one....

Rick

p.s. Hearst Ontario has over 2 ft of snow according to the Companion Hotel, and they are grooming their trails, no word as to whether they are officially opened though

birdman

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 8:40 pm Post subject:

I have been waiting to ride my sled and when we finally had a little snow
to ride I went out with a couple of buddies and my sled ran poorly, it fouled a plug and didn't want to pull more than about 7500 rpm's. I had heard that some RX-1 carb pilot air screws were misadjusted from the factory and pulled the carbs off to check them and they were not even close to 2 turns out ,hell not any two were the same. Iput it back together and rode it again and it wasn't the same sled. It ran crisp and would pull to 9500 rpm's in a shot distance. I would highly recomend checking the air screws. Be advised they are a pain in the azz to pull ,be prepaired to spend a couple of hours but I am glad I did. This thing is gonna rock and it rides pretty good to boot .
THINK SNOW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts