Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WINDER on 3/17/2002 3:05:00 AM

I haven't rode one but this is what I saw with my own two eyes, as God is my witness.
Several weeks ago a group of us went to Cooke City, Mt. As many of you know Yamaha does a great deal of testing and calibration of their mountain sleds in CC after their public introductions. During the time we where in CC, Yamaha was for whatever purpose running the RX-1 up and down the trail(closed highway 212) east of town. Yamaha had with them a 800 Summit and 800RMK. Where ever you saw the RX-l you saw one or both of these sleds running with it. Undoubtely they where running comparison testing. Did I see the RX-l in a direct side by side battle? NO. but this is what I and several others did witiness.
One morning we where waiting for the group to assemble at the outskirts of CC, for those of you that don't know Cooke City is a very small town (Pop.100 or so and 50 dogs). The highway going east of town is closed during the winter and is groomed. This trail leads to Wyo. and has very heavy sled traffic. While we where waiting, milling around a RX-l followed by the summit was pulling out of town. We all motioned for the rider's to get on it!!! as they passed by at about 5 mph.
Well it appeared they reacted. I have never seen a sled disappear so fast as the Yamaha. The trail runs straight and wide for approximately 400 yards then sweeps to the left in a long curve, When the RX-l was into the curve by some distance the summit was still in the straight section. Where both riders really getting on it? I have no idea, all I do know is that every member in our group (every brand but cat) commented, Like, Holy ####!! did you see and hear that, awesome, again that sled moved out faster that anything I have seen on the trail.
There are way to many variables to consider in my sighting, but I must say with out reservation, I and every member of my group was totally impressed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That must have been something! The only question I have is - do you really think the summit guy was giving it his all, I mean how would it look to the public at this point if it were a close race seeing as they were obviously testing the yamaha - Dont get me wrong - I think the yamaha will rock in straight line power, but I have my reservations about all the yamaha marketing hype. Im constantly reading about it being the fastest sled ever. until I get a report that is unbias Ill keep my money.....(I hope it is that fast, ill buy one&#33
Just a thought

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think the rx-1 will be fast,  but come on allready about being a stock speed king.   any modded 700 srx or or any modded 800  will be faster or at least as fast as a stock rx-1.
 I have seen many posts on a few forums raving about the speed of it,  like there has never been a sled that has gone that fast.
also, rumors are that top end is not all that faster than many top stocks out there now.

·
Registered
756 Posts
yammyrider think about what you are saying, [/U]mod sleds are that fast. now mod that RX1 and see how fast I can make it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
" I have never seen a sled disappear so fast as the Yamaha."

That is what i hear every time the subject of the rx-1 is brought about.  I never said that you couldn't make it faster.  It's just that people think this new machine is like a stealth aircraft, haven't they ever seen fast sleds before?
 The rave on this sled of these people make it sound as if it will be a 175mph sled.  It would have to be to live up to any of the hype.
 In fact I will may own one in a year or two.  I would expect it to be up there  with the other top dogs, but not blow them away.
     remember..  there is ALWAYS someone faster.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
True, there will always be someone faster.  Also, there is a difference between someone saying it disapears (acellerates) faster than anything they have ever seen compared to it's the fastest sled out there.  I don't think anyone said it's the fastest, they said it accellerates faster. Lets say the RX-1 and MachZ have the same exact top end but the RX-1 gets there quicker, won't it look like the RX-1 is faster?  Actually, won't it mean it is faster?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I think yamaha should have let the sled do the talking like ski-doo did with the rev on the track. Last time i checked the new ski-doo rev is spanking everything on the track. This translates to better suspension and better acceleration.

Last edited by toydoc at April 09, 2002, 05:53am

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Well, I'm sure that the RX-1 would do the talking if it only would be out on the market....I mean, it is now...but the orders haven't been "delivered"  once people start receiving theirs, you better watch out, because I'm sure there will be one on every trail, and one in all of your rear-view mirrors, gaining on you fast.

·
Registered
556 Posts
iT'S PROBABLY SAFER IF YAMAHA DOESN'T HAVE ONE ON THE MARKET, THIS WAY THEY CAN CLAIM ANYTHING THEY WANT. SKI-DOO PUT THEIR MONEY WHERE THERE MOUTH WAS AND PUT THE NEW REV ON THE RACE TRACK BEFORE THEY WERE AVAILABLE.

Last edited by toydoc at April 09, 2002, 05:55am

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doo might want to conserve alittle of that money.  I talked to three Doo dealers today about why there are so many REV commercials on Fox sports and they all said because nobody is ordering the REV.  At least not in the numbers that they need to pay for the devlopment of it.   They gave me two reasons why it isn't selling:  The people that can afford it think it's ugly while the other think it's too much. Not speaking trash here, just reporting what I was told.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yamaha has ran the RX-1 on the track...I am not sure where but I know it was some big oval event in alaska. I was told it got radared at 110 on the straight. I don't know if thats fast for an oval or not but thats what I was told. As far as ski-doo putting their money where there mouths are...thats true but that just means they support racing...its to bad they don't put the money where there sleds are!  

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
My dealer allready spring ordered 14 of them.  Me being #7.  He said it was the fastest selling sled there and the only reason more people arnt buying right now is because they know little about it and want to see and ride one.  My dealer had one in his showroom for 2 days then an other dealer got it.  Its hard to sell when people cant even see what there buying.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I think the yammi riders are just excited to have new sled that is supposed to perform. I have brand loyalty but i believe ski-doo is the best all around sled, performance, ride, looks, and ski-doo stands behind there screw ups and fixes them, not like the other brands that i and many others have witnessed first hand. They all have there strong points i just think ski-doo has the best all around sled.

Last edited by toydoc at April 12, 2002, 07:22am

·
Registered
731 Posts
speed is everything, Any  brand rider should be excited to have new sled. We should all be happy for them.

I have edited your past post as best I can to still have your point in it.
Your point from what I read is you like ski-doo more than Yamaha. Super, we have no problem with that.

I'm asking you to add helpful post about Yamaha's (your in the Yamaha fourm).
Thanks for your attention on this issue, toydoc

·
Registered
546 Posts
buying a sled with out seeing it. I doubt it.
Ask your self. would you spend 11,000 - 12,000 for a sled you haven't seen? i for one would not.
a friend of mine has one on order, but even he was smart enough to hold on to his 2001 xcr 800 until he gets to test ride it(rx-1).
he went to Peterborough to see it. they would not let him sit on it for what ever reason, but he like the looks and bought one. He hopes it will live up to what yamaha is claiming but no one will know until they are on snow.
as for those that bought them after selling the sled they had i hope you made the right dicision.
if not well Skidoo is still there.

Last edited by phazerhater at May 14, 2002, 12:41pm

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I ordered my two RX-1 ER Limiteds without seeing them except the promo net clip. Alot of people, in fact most people bought the rx-1 without seeing it.
Caleb

·
Registered
546 Posts
sure hope the sled looks close to the picture page and videos

Last edited by toydoc at May 14, 2002, 06:29am

·
Registered
731 Posts
I will ask all members to add to the YAMAHA fourm with helpful info or don't post..
If in any way I think your post will cause a problem I will edit or remove it.

Thank you, toydoc

1 - 20 of 40 Posts