Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just came back from Yamaha service school. The factory people told them that the RX-1 beat the SRX by 8 sled lengths in 600 ft. That is fast. Those of you out there with open minds will bve impressed by this. But there are those who can't imagine that any brand other than their own could build a good sled. Sooner or later we all have to realize that all the manufacturers make good sleds. They all have had their pink elephants too.

·
Registered
337 Posts
whooowee, that is fast!!

Yamaha has definitely pushed the envelope just a little farther and built a top-notch sled.  Can't wait to see what it inspires the others to come out with.

·
Registered
311 Posts
wink, did he have any figures on top speed?  Also, did he have any negative remarks?  Any at all like maybe it's harder to get to things because of space.  I find people to be more believable if they throw something negative about things rather than saying it's perfect in every way.

·
Registered
125 Posts
8 sleds faster than SRX.  Thats pretty good, I just heard 6 from my dealer.  Are these going to be tunable?  Many "tweaked" sleds nowadays are more than 6 lengths faster than a bone stock SRX.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He said they didn't have one there to see. It was the watercraft school. I just know that all the factory guys were raving about it. Didn't say anything about top speed. I'm sure there is some tweeking that can be done to this sled.

·
Registered
392 Posts
There's ALWAYS tweaking that can be done.  There are a lot more people (such as myself) that are more familiar with 4-stroke technology than 2-stroke technology, so I'll bet you'll see a wider range of tweaking ability.  Now instead of reeds exhaust & heads, you get to play with the intake, exhaust, heads, cams, and timing.  Plus, with a clean burning 4-stroke, a closed-loop MPFI system won't be a hard thing to build.  I suspect that the 4-stroke will respond extremely well to forced induction with proper cam selection (i.e. a wide lobe separation angle).

Lots of possibilities.  

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Now settle down here a little. Last spring, the Viper was supposedly going to out run the SRX till 80MPH, and that never happened. The hype got to everyone last year, even me. So I am going to be wait till I get a honset opinion.

This thing is still going to weigh 600+ lbs!!! that is heavy!!! SRX weighs 565 lbs. Yam says the RX1 will weigh within 5%, so that is 593 lbs!! Add 10 gallons of gas @ approx 7lbs a gallon, that is almost 700lbs.

There are things that would bother me about what Yam. is doing with the RX1. I think it is the way to go, and the technology is ready to take advantage of 4 storke performance. But Yam. is going to use a gear reduction off the end of the crank to slow down the 10,000+ rpm to make it clutchable. Yamaha had this on the VMAX4s, and it plagued the sleds. After a year or two, these gearboxes started to wear, and the performance went out the window.

I think the time is right, and praise that at least 1 manufacturer is pursueing the future of our sport. Just step back and wait fellas, let the technology come to us. Don't let the manufacturers use us as the test bed!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
6-8 lengths in 660' over my srx?  I would have to see it to believe it.   in 660 that's waaaaaay too much.  IF it does... how many spare belts does this machine hold?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
It would be hard to get a 150hp or less sled that weighs more 64 ft. ahead in1-8th mile, than a sled with only 10 less ponies. The Rx-1 has a more aggressive stock track for holeshots though. But not 6- 8 lengths. The Srx was lacking something big time.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I thinl there is some over exagerating going on with yamaha.Do they know how far 8 sledlengths is considering the average sled measures out to about 9 to 9 1/2 ft long that would be around 72 to 76 feet, this is quite a distance.Having seen many grass and ice races the only time I have seen this is when a sled tried to race with one bad piston,and he also was sleeping at the light and that still wasn't this far.Just like the viper hype now we got RX1ton hype.So if the whole world hasn't seen it,it did not happen,don't believe the eyes of the man that thinks this thing is the best thing since sliced bread,or the internal combustion engine.As far as beating the Viper,from the sounds of it ,that doesn't sound like much of an acomplishment.

·
Registered
392 Posts
If it's truely got 65% more low end torque, I believe it completely.  If it can put the power to the ground, that thing is going to hole shot like a sonofabitch and keep pulling until it runs out of torque.  Notice they're talking about 600' and not 1/4 mile.  If this has roughly the same horsepower as an SRX but has 65% more low end torque, that means it's probably got a lot less high rpm torque, so I'm guessing the tables may turn past the 600' mark.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I don't know of any V-max4's that have been "plagued" with gearbox problems. I ride and setup lots of 750 and 800 V-max4's. Some have over 10,000 (piped) miles and I have not seen one gearbox or PTO problem, in fact no problems at all, just do the normal maint.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts