Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If both had ideal conditions, what one would win in a short drag race(600-1000ft)(because that's what matters to us snowmobilers.)  RX-1 vs. the street bike with the same engine.
I go with the snowmobile because of traction and the fact that the clutches keep it in it's ideal powerband.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I think that maybe the motorcycle would be faster in 660-1000 for two reasons.  First the motorcycle has a dry weight of 380 pounds and the sled must be in the area of 600 pounds.  The second reason which I'm not so sure how much affect this would have is that in the motorcycle the engine turns I think 12000 rpms and in the sled there is a gear reduction to 8000 rpms.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Put an asphalt track on and see how they compare at the
drag strip......

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I believe the bike would do the quarter a full second faster, probably under 10 seconds. The sled is only gonna be close if it doesn't spin for about a hundred feet. Then Bye, Bye, to the sled. The sled won't have as high or wide of a power band either, unless modded, then the clutch won't work out. People will have to spend $3000.00 to make this sled be the fastest stocker, like  the V-Max 4 initially. The 617cc twin ski-doo's were kickin that sled the first year. Later it was better.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i agree with chubby...... put a slick track on that baby and see what happens. the lower center of gravity will do a lot for holeshots

·
Registered
556 Posts
Having raced motorcycles for 10 years, I can tell you that a stock sled to a stock bike no comparrison and i do mean none. I have raced almost every sport bike on the market and i have never rode or seen a sled that comes close. Besides the bike is about 200 lbs or so lighter with a ton less friction and drag.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
phazerhater I had looked it up earlier the dry weight on the motorcylcle is 380 pounds.  So i'm guessing on somewhere in the area of a 200 pound difference.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I figured it would be about that if not more.  In a short run weight is a big factor also.  I agree with who ever said the bike could even be close to a sec. faster in the quarter.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I few years ago I saw a report in a sportbike mag where the test I think it was the ZX-9R against a T-cat.  They billed it as the baddest of both worlds.  Again, this was a few years ago.  I think they called it Fire and Ice or something.  They showed the quartermile times and speeds along with other various distance stats.  I think in all cases the bike won.  They were pretty fair about it and said that it's not really a fair comparison, because the sled could never get the traction that the bike could, but again that was before asphalt track sleds were around, at least that I knew of them or there were aftermarket kits available.  

But I would have to say that the bike would win in every aspect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts