Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I copied this from another site:ZR-9 vs RX-1 in 1000''

Krom on 9/15/2002 5:46:00 PM

Well I''m just copying this so dont shoot the messenger, but it looks like the rx-1 need more than 1000'' to out run a twin, from a standing start.

ZR-9,RX-1 RESULTS!!!.
3eyedcat on 9/15/2002 4:30:00 PM Well guys take this with a grain of salt. WE did 5 runs and the 900 has a clear hole shot advantage. I was able to pull a 2-3 sleds in front and hold him off by about the same margin at the 1000ft mark. Races were won in the first 100-150ft. Now before you cat guys start in we did 3 roll ons at about 60mphs and the rx-1 took 3 out of 3 by about a 1-2 sleds NOSH%T.I know grass vs snow, apples and oranges, but thats what happened today. 100% straightup.

Lets see what happens when the RX-1 is broken in! I'm not sure about you guys, but I'm pleased to read this.........Mighty RX-1

·
Registered
886 Posts
Considering this is the RX-1's first year out that seems pretty good against Cats fastest.  Give the aftermarket (and Yamaha) a season or two and it might be a whole different story.  I have several friends that race sport bikes and it never ceases to amaze me how much power those engines make.  There are a bunch of ~1000cc bikes around this area that make 180+ hp.  Imagine that and the right clutch set-up in a sled, combined with no smoke/smell and no fouling plugs . . .

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I thought the RX1 would be strong up top but good luck making it go faster.....as for breaking in the RX1, I would assume the 900 is also new? To me the race is long over at 1000ft  

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree that the two stroke needs to break in also but not to the extent of a 4-stroke.  My buddies R-1 completely transformed itself at around 1,200 miles.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I shouldnt say anything bad about the RX1 because I have no clue as to what its potential is. I have these nightmares sometimes that I line up with RX1 and it beats my sled from start to finish..........the next part is that  I am in this long line up at Yamaha waiting to buy an RX1 with all of the other sledders that got beat the same weekend. I think that if the RX1 ends up a rocket I would consider the long track.

·
Registered
259 Posts
First of all we have to consider the reliability of the source, but this does make a lot of sense. I heard the problem with the RX-1 is clutching. The problem is that too much power too soon is causing some major hook-up problems and no one can seem to find the in-between. Yamaha is known for bad clutching for the first couple seasons with a new machine so this is typical to me (put a 98 SRX up against a 02 out of the box and you'll see what I mean). I have to say I agree with everyone else...they aren't doing bad for the first season out on the worlds first high performance four-stroke.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I agree also, the RX1 has great potential with the crotch rocket engine.  Will the RX1 ever be able to meet the R1 performance levels?  I don't know since they are two completely different beasts, but if it does I say look out.  On the crotch rocket theme, Rotax builds the v-twin in Aprilia superbikes.  Race trim they are 180+ hp too, street trim around 135 hp.  I don't know how similar this engine is to ski-doo' current 4-stroke but if these hi-performance 4 strokes catch on I would think ski-doo could be a serious player too.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Machzzzz1 @ Sep. 15, 2002, 9:51pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thank God you wake up and realise it was just a nightmare.
[/b][/quote]
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[/b][/quote]

your right Machzzz1.........thank god it was just a dream because you were in line ahead of me.

·
Registered
756 Posts
As machzzzz1 dreams for the rest of the winter "must get four stroke" "must get four stroke"  "must get four stroke"
hehehehe

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
You almost got me convinced to keep your sled around for maybe the rest of the season before selling it.  

·
Registered
756 Posts
That dream turned into a nightmare, "the four stroke beat me" "the four stroke beat me". And it was so quiet I didn't hear it go by me. hehehe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts