Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer said that his service Dept. just received a bulletin from Yamaha saying the RX-1 will have a rev limiter set at 8000 rpm's for the first 20 hours.  Interesting.  Kinda like what Doo does retarding the timing for the first few hours.  I believe this shows how much more durable the 4-stroke will be needing that much time to loosen up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This makes sense. If you bought the motor in a bike, there would be a break in period to deal with. Since a sled is much more likely to get redlined than a bike, putting some kind of a rev limiter in it makes good sense to prevent a bunch of them coming back with premature harm done. But does this mean that there is a built in rev limiter in the ignition system that can be set to whatever is desired? And how are they planning to run 20 hours? Sounds like there is some kind of a black box included within that the dealer can download info from as needed. Going to be interesting to see where else they use this information once they get their hands on it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
have a hard time beleiving this. Yamaha won't release any info what so ever and any of their factory racers that have their RX1 can't say a word either. So where is this info comming from.

The R1 street bike doesn't come with this and don't tell me the riders with these bikes aren't pulling 1300 rpm on their first rides. Well time will tell.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Call your dealer hauler and see if he got the same bulletin.  Burky is probably correct, sleds will run at higher RPMs much longer while a bike will only see those R's accellarating.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just got back from my dealer and I went through all yamaha bulletins dating back a month and there was nothing. Maybe its a Canadian thing, we seem to get everything last. Did tell me they should be in early september.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I don't totally agree with you on the RPM comparison from the sled to the bike.  On my 600 cc bike, it has a redline of 14,500.  I've had it on highways were I will hold it for 30 min or more at 80 mph and 8000 rpm.  If the RX-1's redline is 10,500, then what will it be at WOT?  Not far off from my 600 sportbike I would suppose.  Also, there is a recommeded break in period for 4 stroke sportbikes, just as there is on normal 2 stroke snowmobiles.  Some follow the recommendations and others don't.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spoke with my dealer again today and he informed me that the RX-1 doesn't have a rev limiter but the PWC that uses the same engine had one.  He assumed that the RX-1 had it too.

A

·
0 Posts
RX, tell him never to assume, it makes an ### out of u and me.  My boss tells me that all the time when I tell him I assumed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts