Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at the web page for the RX-1 and noticed one important thing was left out....That thing must weigh a ton.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Maybe we'll put this over here....let toydoc sort it out!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Things like this make me wonder if yamaha accually has it ready for production.  I predict a few changes.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I heard that too.... With a tank of fuel you had better get the speed up or you are going to sink

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have found the number 540# in numerous locations. I hope this all it weighs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My buddy just ordered one and they didn't give him anything concrete in this regard. I think that Yamaha is doing some "cretive specmanship" in regard toward the "5% over the SRX 700's weight" statement. I don't know how much an electric starter and battery weigh, but from what I've read, the weight comparison is to a "similarly equiped" SRX700. They are also calculating the weight of extra gas that the SRX carries in it's larger fuel tank; the premise being that the RX-1 doesn't need as large a fuel tank because it gets much better fuel economy. 5% over the SRX's 522 lbs. would put it in the 550 range. Add to this a starter, battery and a couple gallons of relative fuel difference (in the wet) and you could be in the 580 or so range, dry weight. A commendable job for sure, but not a lightweight ditchbanger by any standards.

·
Registered
222 Posts
600lbs DRY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Woah.  Looks like that sled wont even be an option for me until they figure out how ro lighten it up a LOT.  Imagine trying to lift that beast out of 6-8 ft deep hole!  NO THANK YOU Yamaha.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Depending on what you currently ride, the RX-1 weight is right there with the big triples.  It will be what I have been use to riding the last 7 years (machz's) with a better ride.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
My prediction and its only a guess is that the rx1 will weight.

=640Lb.  

Better modifiy the leafs on the trailer.

The engine is a 4 stroke with all the extra parts a 4 stoke needs plus its 1000cc.  Its got longer exhaust which will also weight it down.  

So maybe the chassie is a little lighter then everything else.  It cant be that much lighter maybe 10lbs.  

The machz was heavy because of the engine and pipes.  Now this yamaha has everything the mach had just heavyier.  I dont know how it could be the same.  

It would really suprise me if it did comeout under 600lb.  But i think if it did weight under 600 we would already know what it weighs.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I was recently at the snodeo in NH and one of the guys in the Yamaha tent said it weighed in at 561. He was pretty sure but he is also there to boost the product. I don't think it will be 600 only because when I looked at the disected display model it didn't seem to have that much more than your typical two stroke. All it has over the two stroke is really just cams, valves, and the off-set gear but I don't think that will add the weight that will bring it to 600. A friend of mine is a motorcycle guru and he says those motors are a lot lighter than most think. I am sure it is a much heavier motor than any two stroke but in order for it to hit 600 pounds it would have to be 70 pounds over the SRX. I don't think cams, and the offset gear are enough to add up to that. Although the battery and the electric start will add quite a bit too. Once you see the disected display model I think many would agree. There isn't as much under there as everyone thinks, they kept it pretty simple.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
That motor has i think 5 valves per cylinder.  Thats 20 valves, 2 camshafts, timing chain or belt, 2 sprokets for camshaft, 5 lifters on the cam to move the valves, Then theres the entire head assembly and on top of that its the biggest cc engine ever put in a sled and it has 4 cylinders with a much longer stroke then any two stroke which means longer connecting rods.  

The head alone could weigh from 10 to 20lb the camshafts probably weight 7lb each and so on.  

Im not saying your wrong but theres a lot of stuff on this engine that two stokes dont have.  

Then lets not forget the huge exhaust system that yamaha has.  They got two pipes running from the front to the back into a huge can or somthing under the seat and then in to two fancy mufflers.  Cool yes, Light NO.

But i am the first to say that weight isnt everything.  Infact it has nothing to do with performance.  I would buy it even if it was 700lb weight doesnt make a diffrence for me.  But for those of you who are worried about getting stuck and having to pull it out it does cause reasons to worry.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I heard at the show the RX1 had a sign on the front bumper stating that the bumper was a prototype and not to lift or pull on it..........Sounds like they are hidding the wieght...Prototype bumper what a joke.....

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
It is a prototype front bumper, made of fiberlass.  I know that for a fact because I saw an idiot lift it up by the front bumper and rip it off.  Sure did splinter like fiberglass.  Needelss to say, the reps weren't happy.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Maybe it was a steel bumper and the sled weighs so much it splintered off. LOL

Just joking

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The weight thing is a big factor were I ride, BUT, I love the MPG and though I have not yet got to hear one,I bet they sound great

·
Registered
87 Posts
50lbs weight added on to 550lb sleds  is not all that big a difference. If your stuck, it's still gonna make you sweat. I personally have not been stuck in years.
I'm sticking with my SRX for another yr. or 2. If the performance is enough better for Yamaha to quit making the SRX, then the RX-1 must be a #### of a machine.
seeems like there are different bitches every couple years, suspension for a couple, center of gravity for a couple, trailing arms..., rider hieght(tippy)...., weight.....
 I say if it handles good, rides good(suspension) and runs like a raped ape,  then is a good machine...  no matter who makes it.  
Now I need another machine to beat, anyone know how I can get a job testing sleds for all the manufactures? I know they need a 280lbs guy that rides like a 170lb moto-X'er and has been known to kill a few sleds in his day!
 I just know they do!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts