Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard alot about the rx-1 never needing oil mixed but have never heard about the dis advantages, ie how long between oil changes?, unless you don't need to do that either, which i doubt.
When doing one, how easy will it be to drain and fill.
And now that you have changed the oil,there is oil to dis card. where does that go?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Unless you ride thousands of miles per winter, you'll probably do your oil changes at the end of the season when you are preparing to store the sled for the summer.  This machine would be one where I would likely go the synthetic route to insure proper oil flow on startup.  If you run 3,000 miles or less, I wouldn't worry about changing it during the winter.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what does the RPM 's run on the rx-1.
A car (v8 engine) runs around 5000- 6000 rmp at 100 MPH approximately.
Is the rpms on a 4 stoke similiar(spelling?) to a car or a 2 stroke sled?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
It is an engine straight out of a crotch rocket motorcycle.  Most, if not all of these types are built to run 10 to 13 thousand RPM.  The RX-1 is geared down going to the CVT to keep the trans together.  As to where they will run RPM wise once on the trails?  I haven't heard or read anything in that regard as of yet.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats why i question the season with changing oil.
the recommendation for a car motor is 5000 km.
The rx-1 engine works 10 times harder, so you would think it would require more frequent changes?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I doubt it.  This is all speculation anyway since nobody has seen a manual yet with the maintenance instructions.

I just spoke with a sport bike rider that I work with.  He changes his oil every 2,000 to 2500 miles.  Even if I did have to change oil mid season, it would still be a very acceptable tradeoff to be able to continue riding in my places of choice.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I heard that the engine runs at 1200 rpms and after the gear reduction runs at either 8000 or 9000 can't remeber.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts