Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What makes the RX-1 snowmobile of the year? I'm an arctic-cat rider and I do love the sound of the sled. The performance is yet to be seen. It seems that yamaha always hype or the magazines their sleds just like the vipers and the owners become dissappointed. Yamaha does make smooth running motors, but their suspension need some more engineering. If RX-1 don't meet the expectation of the owners they still made a nice looking sled. I can't wait ride my uncle's. He has 300 studs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ride Yamaha's (SRX's) and like Yamaha. I totally agree that they (Yamaha/Magazines) really hype new sleds. I am also looking forward to seeing what the future holds for the RX-1. I have a Yamaha FZ1 Motorcycle with basically the same motor and it is GREAT. Smooth, fast and realiable. The thought of really good performance, 20 Miles to the gallon, no stinky smell, oil change once a year weather it needs it or not, and the ability to get probably over 30,000 miles easily from the motor. Maybe that is the reason. Who knows
Rob

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
20 mpg will not be reality

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Good luck getting 30000 miles on engine and chassis driven in the harsh winter elements. Of course they get traded off way sooner then that in most cases anyway. It is a nice thought though!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I'm not so sure sharkey, our sleds don't have to put up with salty roads and such..........

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I really don't think it needs 300 studs. 162 is all the sled needs. Tune the suspension,don't throw heavy studs at it. guys are reporting 17mpg on diff sites with 150-300 miles on them panteraone! though this is flat land riding we need to keep in mind,not tracking spinning powderhound miles.
Caleb

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
ive put 360kms on one and my buddy roughly 250kms,getting around 13-15 mpg,not high flying either just breaking in....and no spinning,im not saying that people are not getting 17 but i dont think 20 will happen for trail riding...nice sled though

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Everyone knows where I stand on this.

The RX-1 is a good machine but didnt desirve sled of the year. I think Bombardier has definitly made sled of the year with the rev.

If there was a engine of the year and the RX-1 won, that would be desirving. But to win sled of the year with a conventional style chassie is BS.

Sorry. Thats just the way I feel.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I like the rev but I think im the only one in my town that likes it. everyone I talk to would rather have the aka: old style. And maybe the critics feel the same.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I think the more people see the rev, the more people like it. Especially if they see it in person. Its not all that bad.

And once they see how it functions they will learn to live with it.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I agree, the first time I saw the Rev I thought it was too REVolutionary, it is beginning to grow on me now.

The RX-1 was built to last, now, maybe some sleds will reach 20,000 miles but I know if it were mine it wouldn't, that would take a lifetime on Michigan trails with the amount of riding I do.........

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think it got sled of the year simply because its a four stroke performance sled. Lets face it, we know that yamaha put a lot of work into developing this machine. You can't just drop a four stroke in a conventional chassis and drivetrain and thats why it took so much R and D. Whatever position it holds on the market is irrelevent, the fact is it took a lot of hard work and time to get this machine here. Everyone keeps talking about its performance, my point is the effort that yamaha put forth is worthy of the support that its getting. As for the REV chassis I don't know how you can keep saying that Machzzz, expecially after the discussion we had a while back in another post.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
the rx1 is a nice sled,i have to agree that the sled of the year is somewhat political,i love how smooth the motor is and its responce when riding,but it doesnt ride very good(rear suspension) and in a twisty rough trail its hard to keep it inline(not bad but not great),its a good debate for the sled of the year skidoo did do something wild buy making a new chasis that is dominating and the other 3 will have to follow or risk losing some sales,yamaha also did something wild and in the 4 stroke area they are way ahead(so far)..so i feel sled of the year is a political decision this year(enviroment issues)

·
Registered
756 Posts
machzzzz's blinders will be on for the rest of his life, ski doo will never doo anything wrong.hahahahah As for sled of the year I believe that this is way too early in the year to name any sled , sled of the year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts