Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've seen the RX-1's out there, they definately look to be a cool sled.  I've read a lot of posts out there about arm twisting power, etc.  It's all relative.  I had a 1998 T-Cat that was clutched and had some other extras and it was a freakin' bullet.  Would do 90MPH at about 330 ft in a field near Pellstone Airport.  The thing would launch like a bullet every time I ran it everywhere.  It had that great triple smooth power band sound and feel.  When I ice dragged it, I lost (but my friend won with it being heavier and with more experience in dragging).  I lost because I'm not a very heavy rider and in my excitement (inexperience) I would hit the throttle to much (high engagement clutch) and spin the track (at about 80MPH) while the rest of the field took off
. . . yikes.  The thing had power, yes it would easily lift the skis at all speeds whenever you hit the throttle, arm pulling scream with delight power.  But on the trails I'd have to be very careful, because I could easily make a little blip of a mistake on the throttle and be going 20 MPH faster than I should be going, causing a bit more consentration necessary than my normal ride (a ZR600).

The thing about it was it had so much power and I only weigh 135lbs.  But all that power didn't mean much when I had to lift the dumb thing and the 600lb sled caused my back to be thrown out.  (End of fun one weekend).  I sold the sled after having it (used) for a year.  It was great for what it was, a bullet for dragging and it always hooked up in the snow and launched, but it was heavy for the trail and a small guy like me.

So what's my point.   Looking at the RX-1, it looks like a great sled, it's very quiet when idling and running.  Supposedly it gets 30 MPG which is awesome.  It's 580lbs heavy but for guys who don't mind a heavy sled (triple market) that's not a problem.  
Guys who like a two stroke lightweight sled and can live without the weight (like me) may prefer to stick with a lighter two stroke.

I saw a post about the grass drags at HayDay's and the F7 beat the REV800, RX-1 and XC700 times and ET.   Overall the F7's 140HP and light weight won out at Haydays.  But that's only for 500'.  Does that really matter when guys are running at a higher and longer race say across a lake?   It all depends on what you want to do.  The RX-1 is a great sled.  Although I'm a Cat rider, I can say that I was very tempted to look at and weigh the features of the new REVS which will also be great sleds with the  new design for heavy mogle crushing power.  The REV's were a little pricey for me, so the F7 (at apx $7500) seemed to be the best fit for my own particular riding style.  I don't ride on lakes much.   I don't ride much on long "rail trails" with T-Cat guys who want to travel on straights (wide trails) near the 100 MPH mark while crusing.  I mostly travel on curved narrow trails and hit trails that have a ton of bumps and heavy traffic.  Since I'm travelling most the time between 30 and 50 MPH on narrow twisting trails, the lightest sled is the best choice for my riding style.  

Now I'd love to have the features of the REV and the miliage and lack of emissions (smoke) of the RX-1, but none of the sleds have them all.  In any case, this year is going to be one of the greatest years for snowmobilers (God willing), with all the new sleds coming out with RADICAL new improvements.

Looking forward to seeing the RX-1's and REVS on the trails.

Greg
(getting an F7)

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
The F7 wasnt even raced at haydays so I dont know what your talking about or who told you that.

All i know is that a non production F7 was allowed a rolling start and even with that got a ok time.  

The Rx-1 will be a great trail sled.  I got the Rev so im looking forward to that.

One thing your right about is that this is probably the most exciting year for sleds.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
330ft. and 90 mph ahhah spinning maybe. You could win every race in every class if a sled could do 90 in 1-16th of a mile. What a joke. How many airports are only 330 ft. long answer NONE) I'll delete this message Atomic Cat if you edit yours. You will get scores of harrassment from even Cat riders for that post.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
machzzzz1, I copied this for you from americansnow:

Hot off the fax from theif river falls...
haydays officials gave arctic cat the green light to run 5 firecats, after passing tech for stock class, the firecat went on to rip the fastest stock times of the weekend, turning a 5.366 @ 90 mph, the next fastest stock sled was the 800mxz rev at 5.568 a full 2 tenths behind.

What he didn't mention was that they ran before anything else had a chance to tear up the starting line and it was also cooler in the am.

·
Registered
229 Posts
They ran first on Sunday and also at 12:30. I believe they ran 2-3 times each day. I'm sure the Tech they went through was for safety items, stud length, suspension travel, etc. I highly doubt there was much if any engine tech other than a external visual check since these were only exibition runs.

I'm sure someone has thought about this, especially since the Summit 800 H.O. ran so strong, if traction is the RX-1's main problem, maybe the Mountain RX-1 should be the drag sled instead of the standard model. What do you people think? Just something I've been pondering since Hay Days.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The 90mph was on Sunday. They were running 87 on Saturday.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The Firecats did run right after the noon break and the starting line was repacked with a roller. Also the two quicker ones were put on the best two lanes to get a better E.T on purpose, I know the two guys and talked to them about it. With out a rolling start they would run the same time as the Revs. And they did....These sleds were lighter than a production one would be legal. They had no minimum weight restriction, so small racer equals better times. In stock they would have gotten the boot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was there both days but it was so busy i only saw the 4 sleds run sat.noon thought the anouncer said 5.44 in any case the things really ripped,one side ran 87 the other 90 still very good,and iam sure the 128" tracks help quite a bit on a loose race track like haydays had.
No the rx1s did not win what all us rx1 oweners wanted but they still did preety good considering every one i saw got a late hole shot,hard to make up a couple of tenths with a shity 60' time on a loose track,but i dont care when snow comes and miles add up for break in they will be fast enough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts