Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i was going to let you have it machzzzz1 man,but you restored my faith in humanity once again. You let go of all the rx1 b.s. thankyou it was getting old.
I know it looks bad for yamaha,first the weight issue,i picked mine up today and it is still heavy,compared to my xc800xp but not to my xcr800 or my zrt800 about the same or close to it. Rather the back feels heavier cause of the exhaust back there. Now this is my first yamaha,i know they have a very good warrenty they offer,much better than polaris and cat both i have used over the years,and had to fight with both companys as most of us iam sure have over the years.
I dont remember yamaha comparing the rx1 with the big triples,although i think they should have,much closer to the specs.of the rx1 dont ya think. Maybe not horepower though,my triples all had more hp.but not torque. Now i drove my rx1 today for the first time on grass at my dealers place. The field was hills,bumps,dirt,dust,rocks,you know summer time in maine,but the thing just ate everything up nice, even when i hit a large ravine at 100+ on the speedo,it turned great or as good as a sled can on dry grass. The sliders were sticking engine getting very hot and it still ran good full of gas,and all fluids. But its to quiet,engages way to low and may need some serious time to break in,it would not pull rpms in field of about 600' or so,but i loved it,the fit n finish looks real good,neat tool box,storage area in the nose to. pete

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yamaha never did compare it to the tripples, They should have. I never saw the reason to compare it to the twins, different class of sled completely. I rode Mach Z's for years, loved them. These last two years on the twins have been nice, but i'm looking forward to this sled.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I think they compared it to the twins because that's what eveyone is buying.  The triple market was dead.

·
Registered
354 Posts
IMO, you are not looking at the big picture when bashing or putting down this sled. No sled is perfect out of the crate and those who say otherwise are kidding themselves. Yamaha would not be my first choice in sleds but what the have done by putting this sled into production is push the envelope. Sled makers now will have to do better and try to beat the RX-1 and this will make sledding in the near future much better for us, the consumer. Sled weight may actually help this torque monster hook up. All you who bought this sled should not have to defend it!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
mnmsnowbeast:

Yeah no problem.  I knew it was getting old, thats why I stopped.  Like i said before im gonna race for slips.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
The RX-1 isn't ment to rev and if you clutch it to you'll be sad. A four stroke is meant o pull from down low. That is why when Yam cam eout with there yz4000 alot of people were slower because they kept trying to short shift it. the biggest weights for the Doo's are like 95 grams this year and 120 grams for the RX-1 now what does that tell you about the torque it's putting out. There is really no way to make it good in 500ft even gearing and clutching it as it needs to pull. I think it'll rock 660 as in seen in the ashpalt drags.
caleb

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Yami makes no more torque than say the 900 Cat at wide open full power. It does however have a broader torque band.

You will notice more torque say between 4000 to 8000rpm but once you get past that it only makes what the hp says it makes times gear reduction.

Torque x RPM divided by 5252 = HP is the formula. The gear reduction drops the revs to 8500 from 10500 so the increase in torque is X 1.23 .

Where I think the torque will shine is when your cruising, the revs should drop to say 6500 to 7000 rpm at 60 mph. Nail the throttle thats when the torque will make the most difference. If torque won races and hp wasn't important all drag cars would be diesels.

Race someone with the RX-1 from a standing start, then run him again at a 20 mph roll on, then 40 and so on. From 40 up is where I think the RX-1 will shine the most as its just getting into its torque band and the cluthes are starting to shift out. It will hit hard from there to its peak revs. Then it becomes a HP race. All things being equal HP wins.

Course I could be blowin smoke rings out my O ring, but thats my take on it.

My point is it may not make the best drag sled or ditch sled, but it should be a great trail sled. Is'nt that why most people bought them. It's why I would!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Two-Up........Great reply.  You've "hit the nail on the head."  Althought the RX-1 should be a good drag sled, where it will shine is in everyday riding.

You know that, if the RX-1 gets beat at Haydays even once, the Cat, Doo & Polaris guys are going to be all over it.  I'll be at Haydays to, hopefully, see the RX-1 in action.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
That is the reason I bought an RX-1.  Everyday riding, fill it up with gas, Check the oil (notice I said check and not add) and go.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Check the oil (notice I said check and not add)[/b][/quote]
Talk about lazy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts